Wheel redrilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel redrilling

Does anybody know if these could be redrilled?
    Currently 5x120 but want 5x100

because of the pockets they will need filled and drilled or adapted.

Comment

Depending on that centerbore and how far they have to go in, they might be able to do a redrill of the existing holes and insert "press seats". They basically drill the existing holes inward and stop once the desired PCD is achieved. Then they press in a metal seat to serve as place for the lug head to sit.

I've had my last two sets done this way. One from 5x120 to 5x108 and the other from 5x112 to 5x108. This is an extreme one, but you get the idea. Should only cost around $200-$250 as well. This way you don't have to worry about the welded area cracking or anything and they're just as strong as before.

Last edited by Mattphi; 02-27-2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Cool cheers for that, definatly Would be up for trying that route,
        Not to sure if anywhere in the uk would do it though but I'll have a look.
        Cheers.

Comment

the inserts are the only way that they would do that set, but yes it is completely possible
          sigpic
          1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
          1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

those rs' would scare the shit out of me.

Comment

^ why exactly? lug holes just keep the wheel pressed to the hub, but the centerbore is far more important as it centers the wheel and keeps it sitting on the hub. It also takes all of the stress. If people can handle a pressed in hub bore adapter, especially the cheap plastic ones people sell, this is less significant of a worry
              sigpic
              1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
              1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

It's not sketchy at all. The inner part of the lug hole is going to be lined up perfectly with what the bolt pattern is. Here is my most recent set (redrilled from 5x112 to 5x108).

Last edited by Mattphi; 02-29-2012, 09:21 AM.

Comment

can you have 5 lug wheel filled and re-drilled as 4 lug?
                  this is not a personal attack.

Comment

Originally posted by hek1620 View Post
                    ya just had a pair of rs's redrilled from 5x114.3 to 4x100.
                    Golf 6 - OEM PLUS

Comment

Originally posted by Ludey849 View Post
                      ya just had a pair of rs's redrilled from 5x114.3 to 4x100.
                      Depends on how the back of the face looks like, if it has a flat hub mating surface you can do anything you want as long as it fits in the dimensions of the hub.

Comment

Depending on the design of the backpad.

Comment

Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
                          ^ why exactly? lug holes just keep the wheel pressed to the hub, but the centerbore is far more important as it centers the wheel and keeps it sitting on the hub. It also takes all of the stress. If people can handle a pressed in hub bore adapter, especially the cheap plastic ones people sell, this is less significant of a worry
                          I believe it's the other way around actually. Centerbore just gets the wheel perfectly centered, but the lugs do all the work.

Comment

Originally posted by jakkerd View Post
                            I believe it's the other way around actually. Centerbore just gets the wheel perfectly centered, but the lugs do all the work.
                            This is my impression as well.

Some people speak of wheels being lug-centric or hub-centric...

But "lug-centric" just sounds like a lack of proper hub ring adapters.

Comment

Redrill Redrill?

If a set of BBS RS came 5x120 and someone redrills them to 5x114. Is it possible to redrill them AGAIN but to 4x100? with seats pressed in

Comment

Working...
                              X