No announcement yet.

Raising an engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what about for fwd? they have cv joints which cope pretty well with the changes in angle, would this mean that you'd be able to raise a fwd vehicles engine higher? sorry for the noobish question
    1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
    1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

rwd, awd and fwd all have constant velocity joints.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

post pics of what you end up doing adam
        -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
        -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
        MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
        Got Drop??

Comment

I will do! Just need to find some time to work on my shitty piece of shit bmw

Comment

Just get yourself a skid plate and scrape the fuck out of it everywhere like I do

My skid plate was ~1" lower than this at final height.
            Last edited by FunfGang; 02-26-2012, 10:06 PM.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

i need to replace my engine pads, but actually they're pretty expensive, also i really need to lift the engine and i was thinking will be unsafe to lift only the engine with no more than 2,5-3cm.. also i want to know what's the best material to use, and can i make them single piece of metal, or i'll need something flexible???

oh.. and i'm talking about w124 coupe if matters...

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
                Just get yourself a skid plate and scrape the fuck out of it everywhere like I do

Where did you acquire this? Or did you make it?

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post

Nice work! My cars going back to stock height until I can sort things like this out. Sucks to do it but I don't feel like paying for another pan a week after I just bought one

Comment

when i had my e30 sedan , my record was 3 sumps in less than 2 months :/ there just to low haha.

Dafuq means to low ?

Comment

so im thinking if i make 1 inch spacer my driveshaft will **** me
                      HoodRatStatus
                      Instagram @looneylow

Comment

Originally posted by FittedDownLow View Post
                        so im thinking if i make 1 inch spacer my driveshaft will **** me
                        possibly, try a .5 and if it isnt too bad throw the 1" in there.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

raised motor and full underbody skid plate like an f1 car = jake can stop breaking his oil pan and continue to tuck 16's haha
                          HoodRatStatus
                          Instagram @looneylow

Comment

One of my freinds used the washers from e36 cyl head bolts to lift his engine up. The washers are .25 inches thick. Use 2 on each side to lift your oil pan a half inch.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam. View Post
                              I thought about using washers but I didn't want to attempt something before knowing the facts
                              Find a location on the engine to bolt the chain to. The chain is going to go across the engine horizontally, so that it can distribute the weight easily across the chain. Good mounting points include the exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, or the motor mount brackets.

Bolt the chain to the engine using the 3/8-inch ratchet and socket, and the hardware on the engine. Make sure the chain goes across the engine for balancing purposes.

Adjust the lifting arm on the engine hoist depending on the weight of the engine. The typical engine hoist has marks for 1/2-ton, 1-ton, 1 1/2-tons and 2 tons. A V8 engine is typically around 500 lbs, so setting the arm at 1/2 or 1 ton is typically a good setting, as you always would rather overdo it, rather than undershoot the capacity.

Place the hook from the engine hoist around the chain, approximately at the middle. Place the handle from the engine hoist and place it in the jack handle, then pump up the jack. As you lift, the engine will start to elevate. Once it reaches the height you want, you can move the engine as you choose.
                              lån uden sikkerhed

Comment

Originally posted by Zic View Post
                                when you shim the motor only on the front (depending on how much) it will cause bad vibrations in the drive train.

You end up with the number 3. if you want to raise the engine, the right way to do it, is also raising the gearbox. so you end up with figure nr2.

Good luck with the project.
                                This isn't entirely true. 1 and 2 are both perfectly fine as long as the pinion and yoke are at the same angle you wont have vibes, that is the purpose of CV/U-joints.

3 and 4 will vibe, the severity of the misalingment will effect it. A minor amount of misalignment won't cause a major issue usually only a light vibe when accelorating from a stop.
                                Last edited by tomshouse516; 06-09-2012, 02:25 PM.
                                We Fuck Shit Up

Shit box Sketch10 burnout truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X