how to go low cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to go low cheap

Ok so i have a Salvage e32 so right off teh bat the car isnt worth much and Im making it a project/DD but i dont have alot of money. i want to drop it, but coils are alot and bags are even more so i was thinking of cutting or heating the springs. i dont know much about either so please share with me some of your insight. TIA
    Coils
    0%
    Bags
    0%
    wait and save for coils/bags/springs
    0%

For Sale - e24 Build thread

Add me on Facebook
    Instagram @Dared_Turtle

Coils, duh.

Comment

yeah but its a little hard to find coils for an e32. e34 coils will work but im pretty broke and looking to do something real cheap. i would prolly replace the springs later when i can afford something better. but i want to drop it now. :dunno:

Add me on Facebook
      Instagram @Dared_Turtle

Comment

Go ahead and cut 'em then.

Comment

would you say cut is better than Heating them?

Add me on Facebook
          Instagram @Dared_Turtle

Comment

I have no first hand experience with this, but I would cut. I would think it would be harder to match what was done on the first side when using heat, when you cut you can mark it and measure it, and then remark it if need be. Either way your just fucking up your spring rate and as a result your shocks as well.

If I were you I would just save up a a few hundred bucks and pick up a used set of coil overs, or springs if you just can't wait.

Comment

Ebay sleeves+ used or on sale springs can be cheap coils

(plus shocks)

Flickr

Comment

Im not positive but I believe its all in how you cool it although I feel like there was somthing to heating a steel which has been heated once before. Like itll make it a bit brittle?

But as far as cooling the faster you cool it the stiffer it will be, In my opinion the best way. heat the spring then compress then dip it in a salt water mixture to cool it real fast (salt water is better than straight water for cooling metals because it raises the water's boiling point) that way the spring comes out shorter and stiffer.

Itd be really nice if someone knew what happens to once heated steel though.

-Webb
                Last edited by 6erWebb; 12-03-2009, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Ive heard stories of heated springs cracking and breaking after a while..

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X