Focus advice needed! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shocktech102 View Post
    No point in not doing it. if you are planning on doing any engine mods the duratec is a wayyyyy better engine.

-Matt
    OP mentioned that he's not interested in speed so I assumed that engine mods wouldn't be the priority.

Regardless it's up to the OP if he wants to take a chance on an SPI that may or may not have had regular maintenance or if he'd rather hold out (or even swap in) a Zetec or a Duratec.
    FlickHer
    ^^Click ME!^^

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsroar View Post
      OP mentioned that he's not interested in speed so I assumed that engine mods wouldn't be the priority.

Regardless it's up to the OP if he wants to take a chance on an SPI that may or may not have had regular maintenance or if he'd rather hold out (or even swap in) a Zetec or a Duratec.
      After hearing all of this and looking up coilovers, etc, I may just go with my second choice car and not get a Focus.

This is tempting... the only problem is the question of suspension parts available

Potential:

Last edited by kaidotech; 01-04-2012, 06:16 PM.
      | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

Originally posted by kaidotech View Post
        After hearing all of this and looking up coilovers, etc, I may just go with my second choice car and not get a Focus.

This is tempting... the only problem is the question of suspension parts available

Potential:

I didn't mean to turn you off of a Focus. They're really great cars, the SPI engine just had issues. The aftermarket is pretty decent and the following is really outstanding. If I were you I'd join focusfanatics.com/forum and read/ ask around. The members there are crazy helpful. They'll get ya on the right track!
        FlickHer
        ^^Click ME!^^

Comment

I didn't mean to turn you off of a Focus. They're really great cars, the SPI engine just had issues. The aftermarket is pretty decent and the following is really outstanding. If I were you I'd join focusfanatics.com/forum and read/ ask around. The members there are crazy helpful. They'll get ya on the right track!
          I think Im already on there. I hang out with a local Focus club here in Houston named Focalize, but recently theyve all split up and the more stance-focused (pardon my pun) people have joined with WhatTheFitment so I've lost contact with a lot of Focus people. The guys in WTF put $1500 coilovers on their focuses and thats just something Im not interested in blowing money on to get a decent set. Soooo I dunno. All the questions I had have pretty much been answered. I referenced my friend who would be selling me the car and he confirmed the car has been well maintained but fears the valve problem daily which really turns me off to the car - and I dont want to buy a car and immediately have to do an engine swap on it.
          | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

I'd hold out for a Zetec. A wagon would be amazing....

FlickHer
            ^^Click ME!^^

Comment

Stanced focus' are rare to see. I get props all the time from everyone from your typical ricer to older muscle car guys. Why do a car you have the potential to see a bunch of when you can do one that's not seen too often in the stance scene?

-Matt
              SLAMMED SEDAN CREW #13

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktech102 View Post
                Stanced focus' are rare to see. I get props all the time from everyone from your typical ricer to older muscle car guys. Why do a car you have the potential to see a bunch of when you can do one that's not seen too often in the stance scene?

-Matt
                That's why I got a Fusion...
                FlickHer
                ^^Click ME!^^

Comment

Should I go for it? Does the Focus have any decent lowering potential? I'm not trying to be hellaflush but pretty low would do. Also: the car has a 4x108 bolt pattern. What the shit is this? I cant find any decent wheels as far as low BS wide steelies go.

Comment

Originally posted by newcrystalseo View Post
                    Should I go for it? Does the Focus have any decent lowering potential? I'm not trying to be hellaflush but pretty low would do. Also: the car has a 4x108 bolt pattern. What the shit is this? I cant find any decent wheels as far as low BS wide steelies go.
                    Ford 4x108 shares the same PCD as Peugeot if thats any help at all. alot of multifitment wheels are both 4x100 & 4x108 so that might mean you could redrill a 4x100 to 4x108?

Comment

Maybe I should chime in. If you are on FF or FJ you will more than likely recognize my screen name.

Motors: SPI to Zetec is a much easier swap, in fact many have done it in a weekend. If you're serious about doing it I can get you in touch with Chris here in CA. He's done more motor swaps on these cars than I can count (and I even have all of my fingers ).

Suspension: Check out the Stance sub-forum on FJ. Bar none the best collective group of knowledge for getting the Mk1 low. Here is a great thread to get you started.

You'll find I'm a moderator there with the same screen name.

As stated before, springs alone will get you lower, but not low. You'll need coilovers for that. The yellow ZX3 with the flares you posted above is either on H&Rs, KW V1s or Ksports as he's ran all three.

Get the car, put proper suspension on it, drive it 'til the SPI dies then swap the motor to a Zetec and drive it for another 200k.
                      Last edited by Nickgt40; 01-23-2012, 07:44 PM.

Comment

I'd hold out for a Zetec. A wagon would be amazing....

LOL his car is lower than that now. Thats a good friend of mine's car.

Originally posted by Nickgt40 View Post
                        Motors: SPI to Zetec is a much easier swap, in fact many have done it in a weekend. If you're serious about doing it I can get you in touch with Chris here in CA. He's done more motor swaps on these cars than I can count (and I even have all of my fingers )
                        I've done a few, but not that many. The thing I can offer I know what parts need to be changed between years.

Getting a MK1 low can be done. Its not as simple as getting a Honda slammed but it can be done.

2001 Focus Sedan from an ex-ricer. See my build thread
                        http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17122

Comment

I miiiiight be getting a Toyota now.

Comment

You better run. That's shameful!

Comment

You guys need to go help the guy who's trying to remove his Focus' overflow coolant tank in that other thread. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X