'78 Eldorado Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '78 Eldorado Road Trip

Background: I live in the UK and bought a '78 Cadillac Eldorado from eBay for $1000 while drunk. Some chums and I decided to see if we could drive it from OH to CA for less than the price of two weeks in Centre Parcs (an awful holiday camp in the UK).

People: me and pals Jonah and Toby. Neither had a driving license. Perhaps not the best road trip team.

Cameras: one broken SLRs and a Holga lomo.

OHIO/INDIANA/ILLINOIS/MISSOURI

Got some distance under our belt, brakes broke, fuel pump broke, fuel filter clogged, all manner of trim fell off and Jonah had to poo behind a sex shop.

On the iPod:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

KANSAS

The I70 in Kansas = cornfield, truck, cornfield, Burger King, cornfield, petrol station, cornfield, man called Cleatus, cornfield, fallow field, cornfield etc. Discovered that most American food is infused with either meat, batter, peanuts or frosting. In fact, I ate a Burrito that I'm sure incorporated all three.

On the iPod:
    Mayer Hawthorne & The CountyJust Aint Gonna Work Out (2008)http://www.stonesthrow.com/store/7-inch/mayerhawthorne/just-ain-t-gonna-work-out-10#mayerhawthorne...

COLORADO

Mountain roads claimed the car, which we christened Ol' Breaky due to its propensity to shit various parts and functionalities. OB was towed to Evergreen, a small mountain town.

RED ROCKS

After buying a bagel, we somehow managed to meet some people who invited us to Red Rocks, Denver. It's a natural amphitheater with a carpark party, a ala Dazed and Confused. We also saw a woman walking a Lama.

On the iPod:
    GUARANTEE SUMMER MIX FT. J. REY SOUL - MUSIC VIDEO - OUT NOW

UTAH

We sessioned it to Moab. Sang a rousing chorus of American Pie, arrived late, ate somewhere called McStiff's, got horribly lost the following morning. Met some hotrodders and motorcross people who whooped a lot.

On the iPod:
    I'm standing alone on the cliffs of the world.No one ever tends to me.Sitting alone, covered in rays.Some things are so my mind can breathWaiting is hardFuck...

NEVADA/ARIZONA

OB threw an alternator belt 79 miles outside Vegas. Arrived via tow truck and decided to hit the strip to win lots of money to ship OB home. Lost lots of money instead. A hot Mexican woman was also involved.

On the iPod:

SO CAL

Picked up the car and headed through the desert. With no AC. Had a few issues, eventually made it to the coast, tried to sell the car to several Mexicans, a trucker, three people in a bar and a befuddled and possibly homeless lady.

On the radio (the iPod ran out of battery):
    "Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show from O.C.M.S., available now.Download on iTunes: http://smarturl.it/ocmsBest Of Old Crow Medicine Show Available NowW...

CAL

Cruised around trying to hawk Breaky, stumbled on hotrod shops, lowrider gangs, several burritos and a transvestite. Nearly died negotiating Los Angeles. Camped along Route 1.

On the iPod (found a plug):
    PUTS' San Francisco Knight off the next step albumAll credits go to People under the Stairs"***Disclaimer***I DO NOT OWN THIS SONG. IT IS ONLY FOR ENTERTAINM...

NOR CAL

Met a man who knew a man called English Steve, who knew some local lowriders who wanted to buy the car. Sold the car surrounded by Impalas, Caprices and drug deals.

On the iPod:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

PRE-FLIGHT

Jonah and Tobe celebrated the Ol' Breaky experience by getting giant tattoos.

On the iPod:

The end.

Awesome, awesome trip, your write up makes me wish Mike and I had put what we played on the ipod on our trips thread

Comment

Thanks man. I remember seeing your trip online before I left - it gave me tons of inspiration!

Glad you liked it. Tell you what - it's a mission to buy, insure and register a car in the USA if you're British. Never again. Well, I say never - there's a tasty '59 bubbletop on eBay...

Comment

For some reason Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas popped into my mind when I was looking at these pictures

Comment

More like Beer and O-Rings Via Las Vegas...
          Last edited by Matt Jones; 11-30-2009, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Looks like an exciting trip.... but when I see your username all I can think of is the guy that used to be our QB at the University of Arkansas... I was kinda hoping you were him
            This is something I could see him doing

Comment

Should have thrown some steer horns on the hood. hahaha
              sigpic
              » scott »« '03 vw passat turbo »« '88 toyota mr2 s/c »« '09 honda ruckus «

Comment

That's pretty bad ass.

Comment

It took me about twenty minutes to work out what a QB is (I'm right with Quarter Back, yeah...?) - we don't do American Football. Or is it just called Football over there?

But yeah, I remember some girl in CA saying something about that. To be honest, I switched off entirely - she had fabulous breasts, which were distracting me.

Comment

Hahaha. That's awesome! I bet you won't ever forget that trip.

Comment

My goal is to go on a trip like this someday in the near future. Who's down?
                      Originally posted by da3bous
                      I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

So much win. Damn married life!! I could be traveling the globe right now

w.i.p. (work.in.progress)

Comment

I need to do this.

Somebody, bring me some alcohol, so I can end up buying some ridiculous POS in the US too.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

man, this was a treat to check out! kyuss and mayer hawthrone for real. and vanishing point is something every real man needs to watch.

being on the road like that with a group of good dudes is always awesome. life!

Comment

Wow epic trip, I really need to do something like that before I get older.

Comment

Working...
                              X