Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fluid MotorUnion's Long-Overdue Build Thread: Project X, Start to Finish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awww yeah. me like
    Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by 340i View Post
      you had me at the first picture. looking forward to the rest of the build.

also, how does the 'mechanics lien' work? ive never heard of it before and i dont think we have it here in nz. did you essentially get it for free? that would be awesome!
      It's a billion pounds of frustration and paperwork.

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanic's_lien

www.fluidmotorunion.com
      www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
      I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Comment

where do i sign up to get one
        BUSTER!
        Low Standards
        Seffer on the Stanceworks
        sigpic

Comment

I have to wait weeks for the build??? No Andrew, this is unacceptable. You must work 24/7 and post everything immediately!

Please?
          Strictly Pleasure/Zero Clearance/Stretch Your Legs
          Alex

Comment

Oh man, I totally forgot about this truck, I want my brother to do something similar with his M class. Looking forward to next week
            Instagram: danimal._
            Mercedes Build Thread
            Falcon Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by NeedingAnAudi View Post
              I have to wait weeks for the build??? No Andrew, this is unacceptable. You must work 24/7 and post everything immediately! Please?
              I actually made the decision to speed up the timetable last night. I'll probably do a new post every day until it's done. Obviously I have a lot more to cover on the blog, and originally I had intended on doing an X5 post once per week on the blog, matching it to the build threads I put up on various internets. But then I thought to myself, "Good luck holding anybody's attention for that long." And it's true. Hell, this was on the second page already.

One update per day, biznatches! I've already got Chapters 1-7 written, gonna do 8 today, just in case I have to do 6 updates in one day. You never know

www.fluidmotorunion.com
              www.stanceworks.com

Comment

<3
                Strictly Pleasure/Zero Clearance/Stretch Your Legs
                Alex

Comment

I really wanted to do this to my family's X5 haha. I'm really looking forward to the other updates!

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

It's about time you guys did a proper write-up on this thing! I've been waiting for info about it forever.
                    -Darrick

Frankenbike Build Thread
                    Another Frankenbike Build

sigpic

Comment

MOAR please..... You guys are the kings of the one off.
                      Cactus Green B5 A4.

Comment

Chapter III: Diving In

Time for the first of the Big Three exterior modifications on the X5. We hadn’t planned for this car to be going underwater, but we knew that we needed some over-the-top fabrication to really get this car to where our minds imagined it. As a result, we figured a snorkel was a good way to go. Not only is it functional (it does flow into a sealed box in the motor), but also having the intake noise directly above your head is a great feeling that’s awfully tough to duplicate with any other intake setup.

First, we plotted out the location for the snorkel piping, making sure not to cause issue with door contact or windshield wiper functionality, as both tend to be important in operating a motor vehicle. After that came some fender cutting and some aluminum welding to bring everything together. Designing the box was a little trickier, as we had to ensure that the filter would be receiving plenty of air without sucking up plenty of water during rainstorms; furthermore, we had to design it to accommodate an already-established filter size. No matter the constraints, FMU is on the task! After a bit more elbow grease, our final pre-powdercoated product emerges:

Now that the smallest of the Big Three is complete, look forward to our next piece, the custom front bumper!

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                        www.stanceworks.com

Comment

a truck with lift recieving admiration on s|w????? good lord the sky must be falling rofl love it though
                          sigpic

Comment

The one and only X5 I've ever liked, and it would be perfect for winter around here

And since I'm a vulture, MOAARRR
                            Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

1999 C43 AMG (no thread..yet)

Comment

Originally posted by 121scale View Post
                              a truck with lift recieving admiration on s|w????? good lord the sky must be falling rofl love it though
                              It's been the fancy of many eyes on SW since we started building it last winter. The car's been done for months, we just never compiled a pic-heavy build thread until this week, though.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                              www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Can't remember having seen it before (except in your signature now that I look closer lol), interesting build though

Comment

Working...
                                X