Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exami View Post
    Well i have also stock wheels

Fake wheels & fake splits are bit shity.. takes "points" off the car..
    I am in the boat with Jeremy on this one. I still don't understand the hatred and wheel snob stance on 'fake' wheels. I love some of the rep wheels that are available and don't see how, if someone chooses to purchase and run them on their car, they are looked down upon.

I even have 'real' wheels but also have some cheap aftermarket wheels and I bet my multi-piece ARE wheels are probably a rep of something.

Jeremy's ARE RS reps are damn nice. Not going to **** on him for having them.
    Last edited by dinanm3atl; 06-17-2009, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
        I am in the boat with Jeremy on this one. I still don't understand the hatred and wheel snob stance on 'fake' wheels. I love some of the rep wheels that are available and don't see how, if someone chooses to purchase and run them on their car, they are looked down upon.

I even have 'real' wheels but also have some cheap aftermarket wheels and I bet my multi-piece ARE wheels are probably a rep of something.

Jeremy's ARE RS reps are damn nice. Not going to **** on him for having them.
        Well there is these cheap copys and wnb rims thats the point im trying to make.. like BBS vs. Linea Corsa... i don't know how much Linea Corsas cost in states but in finland around 1500-2000EUR / set .. in that same money you can find used BBS LM set(ebay findings).. and mostly those have better balance even when those are used...

An example: My BBS RC(BMW Styling5) 1 lip has been straighten and fixed other 3 originals.. and when i balanced those i had to use 25gram of weight on 1 wheel others where from 10 to 15grams.. when you go buy some cheap rims you need to but 35+ grams to NEW rims.. and when runing these low cars with extrastiff suspension wheels need to be better quality... other wise they will go wrong and bend (look about Rotas in google)

It won't do me a gray hair if someone uses replica rims or cheap rims like rota.. their own thing but i appreciate original & high quality rims and thats why i 'give' points to having those..
        Project car: MB 190E M50 Turbo build
        Now: MB W211 320cdi
        Ex:MB 190E M50, BMW E39 530d

Comment

A+

Comment

Well there is these cheap copys and wnb rims thats the point im trying to make.. like BBS vs. Linea Corsa... i don't know how much Linea Corsas cost in states but in finland around 1500-2000EUR / set .. in that same money you can find used BBS LM set(ebay findings).. and mostly those have better balance even when those are used...

An example: My BBS RC(BMW Styling5) 1 lip has been straighten and fixed other 3 originals.. and when i balanced those i had to use 25gram of weight on 1 wheel others where from 10 to 15grams.. when you go buy some cheap rims you need to but 35+ grams to NEW rims.. and when runing these low cars with extrastiff suspension wheels need to be better quality... other wise they will go wrong and bend (look about Rotas in google)

It won't do me a gray hair if someone uses replica rims or cheap rims like rota.. their own thing but i appreciate original & high quality rims and thats why i 'give' points to having those..
            I understand what you are saying and agree 100%, but the sticker in this post isn't appreciating real wheels, it is ****** on fakes uknowwhatimean? I don't think when a car scrapes its chassis over little bumps replica wheels are going to be the limiting factor in how well the car will ride. IIRC there are a couple guys on this site running replica, or replica "quality" wheels and I haven't heard of any major issues.

/shameless defense

Comment

I dont like fakes because they devalue the real thing. Fakes make the guys who go out of their way to find and drop the money on the real thing look the same as everyone else.

The sticker is awesome and I back it up 1000%

Comment

i dont like cheap replicas, they usually loose some of what i like in the translation to a cheaper design. I dont care what fitment you have, if your on axis supermesh, or mams, or alt tangents, im not gonna like it. Im not trying to generalize all replicas though, because HTN makes an awsome replica of BBS E30's and they are high quality split wheels

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
                  I dont like fakes because they devalue the real thing. Fakes make the guys who go out of their way to find and drop the money on the real thing look the same as everyone else.

I agree with you there, it is lame that reps of BBS wheels steal ANY amount of business from BBS, however small that amount may be. Not sure how I feel about the other point, if you are only buying a high quality wheel to look good, isn't that defeating the purpose?

For the record the ARE's came with the car when I bought it, I wouldn't purchase another set of replica wheels.
                  Last edited by Moose; 06-17-2009, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I disagree and other markets for other items would prove that point wrong.

Lots of fakes and not a lot of reals makes something more valuable. Ever looked at the cost of a numbers matching Hemi cuda compared to a replica/clone?

In a circle of enthusiasts at a muscle car meet the numbers matching car is going to get more props for sure. Just like the guy with real wheels.

Comment

A circle of enthusiasts, yes. The general public has no idea and can't tell the difference though.

Comment

This is the most valid point so far.

Idk, i have mixed feelings. I like the idea of lower end wheels with awesome offsets and widths, but they dont have to be a copy necessarily

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by B Rod View Post
                          A circle of enthusiasts, yes. The general public has no idea and can't tell the difference though.
                          Hell, I can barely tell the difference half the time.

Comment

i might ask why the hell you even care about general public? we are enthusiasts and you are part of this enthusiast group.. honestly my self im not interested when some granny looks my car in trafficlights

But when some other enthusiasts come & talk about my car or asking that makes difference.. because thats when i know i have done something noticeable..(im not saying that ppl actually comes talk to me)

And more of this.. me & couple my buddys while we are in some car meeting or something.. its allways like "AAAHAA REPLICAS!" "look at that one replicaboy!" and thats why i didn't buy replica rims for my self because that would go for ever...

Comment

i might ask why the hell you even care about general public? we are enthusiasts and you are part of this enthusiast group.. honestly my self im not interested when some granny looks my car in trafficlights

But when some other enthusiasts come & talk about my car or asking that makes difference.. because thats when i know i have done something noticeable..(im not saying that ppl actually comes talk to me)
                              Thats very true.

And more of this.. me & couple my buddys while we are in some car meeting or something.. its allways like "AAAHAA REPLICAS!" "look at that one replicaboy!" and thats why i didn't buy replica rims for my self because that would go for ever...
                              That's more elitist attitude versus enthusiast though.

Comment

That's more elitist attitude versus enthusiast though.
                                Do it right or go home and cry...

Comment

Working...
                                X