Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First stanced car?!

Hey!

Just before i start i have no idea if i am posting this in the right section but i hope so! I am totally new to the 'stanced scene' and love it. I'm based in the UK and have just turned 17. i have been looking around for various cars in which i think would be EPIC! Lets just say i want my car to be different to the usual first car!

I have been looking around and have found a few examples of what i would like, for example the Stance Works Mini Clubman, Mk 2 Miata or the Lexus IS220. I quite like the VIP style, But as i know a large base of members here are from the US insurance for any 17 year old here is incredibly expensive otherwise i would love to have a rx7 or s14!! unfortunately would be around 15k GPB in insurance alone!

So getting down to the point i wonder if anyone can help with some some pointers? what could be a good car to start with? one that won't take too much work but i can be proud off? and what the differences are between static and bagged etc?

In advance thanks for all the help, It is highly appreciated! and sorry if i Havant worded my question right! :P

Thanks again, Chris.

information is a good starting point. on both ends. from you, whats your budget? I'l be the first to suggest you don't start with something very far off the map if you came here asking the difference between static and bagged. but education has to start somewhere so:

bagged = adjustable height = air bags

static = non adjustable height = springs/shocks/coilovers
    Hatchbacks, wagons... It's NOT all the same. You want in? Don't get a mazda 3, get a mazda 6 wagon. Don't get a wrx get a legacy wagon. and theres a reason the A3 isn't called the A3 avant... Scion does not make a wagon it makes a weird van, but no wagons

Sincerely,
    The Wagon Mafia:Inner Circle
    P.S. Is your tail a wagon?

Show cars are lame.

Comment

My high school friends were able to do a lot with MkII VWs

I drive a MkIV Jetta/Bora as a daily, and I would suggest that platform for a first car as well...

Comment

There's a HUGE difference in driving around with Bags or if you're Static. Can you picture yourself always keeping a very close eye on the road ahead of you, going slower in areas you aren't familiar with, not being able to drive down certain roads anymore, nearly have heart attacks driving at night in new areas, etc if you decide to go the Static route? If you don't want to commit to that level, Bags are the way to go so you can adjust to the road conditions. The only drawback to this is that Bags are going to cost you alot more than a decent set of coilovers. It's all about your priorities.

Start out with something cheap to see if the Stance thing is for you. It will also help you "learn" how to drive a low car. You don't want to start out in a slammed Lexus on Works and screw everything up the first week.
        Originally posted by redciv1
        Style 5's and E36's are like Civic's and Rota's, just looks good.
        Originally posted by Francois Dillinger
        Would you wear skechers with an armani suit?

Comment

Hey, you should not complain about youre insurance or taxes! I come from Denmark, i just turned 18 years yesterday (05/11) and in about 2 or 3 weeks i will have my drivers license.. hopefully!
          Well.. Back to subjekt, here i Denmark a second hand Silvia S14 Kouiki in a good condition is the taxes alone ruffely about a 100.000 danish kroner, witch is about 11.500 GBP, then the car itself is added to that price.
          Then if we say it has a 3-400 bhp engine, i will have to pay (Offcouse different from insurance company to insurance company) but about 60.000 Danish and 7.000 GBP, and thats only a insurance if I crash in to another car, og hits anything else.. If i schould insurance my car to we could tripple that price, just because i'm young and new in traffic

So my first car will be a 1996 Volkswagen Polo 6N 1.6 8v with a wild and crazy 75 bhp and FWD! Woohoo!

Have a nice day ;-)
          Airride are for pussy's! - Go static or go French!

Comment

LOL gotta learn to SWANG, or will hear the BANG, when i first lower my civic eg, its wasn't as low as many of y'all but man, tires rubbing, lip scrapping, busting oil pans, didn't take long to catch on, keep an eye out for speedbumps, dips, potholes and ramps, SWANG AND BANG BAE BAE
            now take it home and f*** with it- deftones

Comment

It sucks to roll hard.

You just have to be harder than your roll.
              - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

from what i hear e36's are easy to drive stanced.

rolling on static isn't that bad. i roll static on my e30, sure you have the occasional mini heart attack when you absent-mindedly hit a pothole and oh god i hope my oil pan is okay. but you pretty quickly learn to keep an eye on the road ahead, it becomes second nature. if you like to drive fast too i'd only consider static... i'm not really sure about the handling qualities of an air setup, but i don't think a good set of coilovers can be beat.

Comment

I'd recommend you to buy pretty cheap car (no matter if youll do bags or coils) because:

- you'll learn to drive a lowered car which means its gonna get some damages
                  - you'll learn to work on it (easer on old cars)
                  - you'll learn to roll/pull fenders -> you'll crack paint etc. It's not as bad as fuckin up a mint car
                  - you'll do shit while driving/maybe try drifting/whatever and the car might get damaged more or less from that to
                  - you'll learn to lover or **** your first car / maybe get rid of it faster than you thought you would

I remember myself being scared of lowering cause i didnt want to roll fenders (being scared of cracking paint and not having money for proper repaint) on my first car which was in a really mint condition and quite expensive at the time.

I'd say get a car you can buy cheap parts for.Having to spend 1500$ just for coils for example aint cool..
                  Maybe get a VW MK2 or 3, BMW E36, E30...
                  slamburglars.com

Comment

Ultimately you will be proud of whatever car you get...I was proud of my first Volvo S40. I paid a crap ton in repairs in my ownership period but it was mine and I kept it up. Take good care of whatever you get...I sold my first S40 for only $500 less than what I paid for it even after owning it for 2 years!

IDK much about lowering just yet, that's why I joined...to learn, so I can't comment on that aspect.
                    FlickHer
                    ^^Click ME!^^

Comment

Originally posted by Daviticus View Post
                      It sucks to roll hard.

You just have to be harder than your roll.
                      This is the greatest advice I've ever seen.
                      StatusRacing.com
                      Configure YOUR Seat Here
                      Tel: 1.480.265.8600
                      Email: sales@statusracing.com
                      Fan us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisBarnes View Post
                        ...what the differences are between static and bagged etc?
                        one requires Balls, while the other one doesn't.

no excuses
                        Last edited by MIGS; 11-18-2011, 07:43 PM.
                        sc300 "Scraping Guts" -sold

ucf20
                        ZEAL VIP

Comment

Static to me shows dedication, and its also cheaper. If your on a budget just do springs at first and adjust to being a little lower and then get coils and go lower and lower as you feel comfortable. As for cars its a lot about your budget and whats available at the time.

Comment

Working...
                          X