No announcement yet.

E36 belly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haha spray some rhino lining truck bed liner under there.

nhoJyauQ/John Quay

E36 Vert Build

Instagram @nhojyauq

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
      You realize that if you coat it, it will just scrape off...
      reportedly POR15 is chip and scratch resistant. i'll believe it when i see it though.

plus i'd rather have to keep coating it than having the frame rails rust out in 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno730 View Post
        reportedly POR15 is chip and scratch resistant. i'll believe it when i see it though.

plus i'd rather have to keep coating it than having the frame rails rust out in 5 years.
        Have fun with that

Comment

you would be scraping any rust that may form off...

Comment

Originally posted by Francois Dillinger View Post
            you would be scraping any rust that may form off...
            troof

nhoJyauQ/John Quay

E36 Vert Build

Instagram @nhojyauq

Comment

lol. huge difference between scratch resistant and the weight of the car dragging on the pavement at any given time. the forces aren't the same.
              Originally posted by Kielan
              I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

while we're on the subject of low e36s, are you guys running fender liners? i'm rubbing mine quite a bit and considering removing them.
                025garage

Comment

No liners, though I wish I had kept them in to keep rocks and dirt out of my door jams

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
                    lol. huge difference between scratch resistant and the weight of the car dragging on the pavement at any given time. the forces aren't the same.
                    I understand that, I am a mechanical engineer. i do not need a lecture in physics. The point is that the product could potentially be more useful than a rubberized spray on coating, which would definitely come off, if it were scraped (as evidenced by the factory undercoating...)

Furthermore, while surface rust could potentially be "scraped" off, it doesn't negate the fact the bare metal is subject to moisture and dirt, which will accelerate corrosion.

I don't get how nobody has this concern.

Comment

I run the fender liners, but I'm not as low as some (about 4cm / 1.5inch at the frame rails). I don't have any rubbing, so no issues there... if I were to go lower and would encounter rubbing, I'd still keep them, I'd just trim the top most portion so the wheel's got enough space to move. But the rear and front parts would stay on for sure. It just looks ugly when you can look THROUGH the wheel well to the bumper for example, imho.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

I understand that, I am a mechanical engineer. i do not need a lecture in physics. The point is that the product could potentially be more useful than a rubberized spray on coating, which would definitely come off, if it were scraped (as evidenced by the factory undercoating...)

Furthermore, while surface rust could potentially be "scraped" off, it doesn't negate the fact the bare metal is subject to moisture and dirt, which will accelerate corrosion.

Then don't lower your car.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
                          Then don't lower your car.
                          LOL obviously you're not getting my point Sean.

For me, it's about doing things right. some people are OK with rubbing or baseball bat rolled fenders or fucked up frame rails. I'm not one of them though and it seems peculiar that in a community like this, nobody has been concerned with bare metal on frame rails.

Comment

You're grinding metal off, you really think a coating will withstand what the metal can't?

If its that big of a problem, don't drop it.

Comment

i guess we aren't on the same page. read the posts by the OP. he wants to get "mad low." the picture that comes to mind is skrapez aka Josh's e36. that car was "mad low." any coating that you sprayed on, would be scraped off and would expose the metal regardless. you dont need a ME degree to understand you are sanding the product right off when that low.

if you are rarely scraping any of the chassis, then you would be looking in the right direction.
                              Originally posted by Kielan
                              I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

"I'm a mechanical engineer"

Clearly not a very good one.
                                - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Working...
                                X