Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 122

Thread: Benz people! Need W124 help, E36 Coilovers?

  1. #26

    Default

    I feel like there is really two ways to do the front. You can run the W124 spring and the helper only on the coilover, like we have. Which has very little added stress on the strut mount (which is aluminum coated in rubber, BTW) Or you can use camber plates, a modified E36 mount, or a custom soltion to a more solid strut mount w/ a bearing.

    This car was driven for a few days with the W124 upper mount and the full coilover, it rides fine, it handled bumps and everything just like normal. The shocks didn't blow through the hood, nothing failed. You can tell it does stress that mount more than the factory setup, but I'm pretty sure it would be good for quite some time. The thing to remember is that the mount is not entirely rubber, it would be tough for the upper hat of the coilover to actually go through if it DID fail.

    That being said, the bind was not comforting at all. That combined with the additional camber gained and the factory caster, made for some serious alignment issues. I'd say that you are really better off using one of the other methods I listed above, just like most people are thinking. I just want to make it clear that those mounts will support the car if need be, which actually makes either of the other options seem much safer.

    Projectzwo - Congrats on getting started, make sure you link me to some pics of your install! Thanks alot for the camber arm info as well. I wonder if I could adjust more negative camber with that? Any experience? I think we have somewhere around 3-4 degrees now, but 5 or more would really help to fit more wheel in the rear when/if we get to that point.
    Last edited by Iam138; 10-12-2011 at 12:08 PM.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    299

    Default

    I'd just love to see some reasonable attempt at camber plates for these cars. If not to eliminate the binding, but the risk of the damn strut/coil shooting into the hood.

    I know it'll support the car and the width of the coil hat won't let it go through easily, but I've had experience with my past 300E where the strut mount collapsed and sent the whole center of the mount right up into the hood. Not an experience I'd like to replicate.

    Strictly Pleasure
    Allen
    82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Spd
    92 Mercedes 300CE Sportline 5 Spd

  3. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iam138 View Post
    Projectzwo - Congrats on getting started, make sure you link me to some pics of your install! Thanks alot for the camber arm info as well. I wonder if I could adjust more negative camber with that? Any experience? I think we have somewhere around 3-4 degrees now, but 5 or more would really help to fit more wheel in the rear when/if we get to that point.
    Sure, i'll keep you updated. About the camber arms - didn't actually try this (dont need them for now), but you can add more negative degrees compared to the oem ones...

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    829

    Default

    so krolik, you're saying that the coilovers are too skinny and shot up through the mounts on the front? Also, did you have a good experience with them like did it handle better and everything? It seems like since they were made for a lighter car that it might not support the weight of our cars? I would love to get some coilovers for my car. That's why I keep saying to make a build thread for your car lol

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HWY HNTR View Post
    so krolik, you're saying that the coilovers are too skinny and shot up through the mounts on the front? Also, did you have a good experience with them like did it handle better and everything? It seems like since they were made for a lighter car that it might not support the weight of our cars? I would love to get some coilovers for my car. That's why I keep saying to make a build thread for your car lol
    oh nonono, i was saying i had a normal strut shoot through the mount because the rubber bit up top failed.

    i'm pretty sure the coilover would be retained somewhat by the strut perch since its a bit wider. when i get coils for my merc i'm going to be designing camber plates and see if i can get some made. that, or modify some universal ones.


    i'll make a build thread................ eventually. lol

    Strictly Pleasure
    Allen
    82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Spd
    92 Mercedes 300CE Sportline 5 Spd

  6. #31

    Default

    still can't get the point of using custom camber plates in the front? why?

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    829

    Default

    k, another thing I'm confused about. You guys keep mentioning custom camber plates. Am I misinformed, but, I thought there were already camber plates for our cars? To adjust the camber. Or am I thinking of something else?

  8. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HWY HNTR View Post
    k, another thing I'm confused about. You guys keep mentioning custom camber plates. Am I misinformed, but, I thought there were already camber plates for our cars? To adjust the camber. Or am I thinking of something else?
    because of the money bro...

    oh... and i forgot, last night i was trying to put the front coilovers (JOM) from E36, and i can say that it's impossible to mount the whole coilover setup (strut + springs), because the top hat is too wide, so i removed the springs and used only the shock.
    the other problem was that the knukles can't fit 100% right to the stem of the shocks, and they'll need some work...
    Last edited by projektzwo; 10-21-2011 at 01:10 AM.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    299

    Default

    what do you mean the top hat is too wide?

    it won't go up into the strut tower at all?

    Strictly Pleasure
    Allen
    82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Spd
    92 Mercedes 300CE Sportline 5 Spd

  10. #35

    Default

    Weird. Mine didnt have either problem. The first shots in the thread are of the car sitting on a full E36 Raceland coilover up front. No modifications.

    I wonder if its a difference with the brands...

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    829

    Default

    you guys lol, back and forth, will it work, won't it work, what's the damn answer cause I would love to have the adjust ability of a full coilover for a e36. So, krolik, or iam138 or whoever, please take some pics and post up the model of coilover you're using so I can buy a set. Prwease for Gods sake, lets find an answer to this myth and put it to rest

  12. #37

    Default

    well, i bought JOM coilovers for e36, but as i said, i can use only the shock absorber, without the springs, because the top holder of the springs (the hat) is wider than the pad of the top oem strut mount. Probably if you change a little bit the hat of the coilovers you'll get it there, but i was too nervous and prefer to use only the shock absorber, as speeds_ did with his JOM setup.
    So, i don't know if the way of mount is different from coupe and limousine, but the JOM coilovers are not plug & play for w124.
    As Iam138 said, the rear shocks are really longer/higher than the oem ones, so - they're useless i sold mine, and now i'm waiting for new rear shocks.

    Here it is the car as she sits right now, waiting for new rear sh#t...









    @HWY HNTR - if you don't really want an adjustable suspension here you are really good option -> this <- otherwise you gotta run Racelands, or TA-Technix, but remember that rear ones are way too longer and wont work...

  13. #38

    Default

    My car is a w202 so I am not too sure on how different your suspension is. I cut the coils and in the front I used Chevy Beretta Z26 shocks. Lots of travel and a soft ride. they are Monroe Sensa-Trac - Shock Absorber Part#5896 $34.99 at Oreillys
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Devildog0341; 10-25-2011 at 06:59 PM.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Does any one know how different the W201 (w/ SLS) set ups and W124 are?

    Quote Originally Posted by Longboarding_G View Post
    you sir, win this battle.
    “Producing something of quality is obsessing over details nobody sees.”

  15. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    Does any one know how different the W201 (w/ SLS) set ups and W124 are?
    w201 and w124 are all the same, but i'm not sure about the self leveling system...

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by projektzwo View Post
    w201 and w124 are all the same, but i'm not sure about the self leveling system...
    It will get removed completely.. But there is very tight space for the rear strut...

    Quote Originally Posted by Longboarding_G View Post
    you sir, win this battle.
    “Producing something of quality is obsessing over details nobody sees.”

  17. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    It will get removed completely.. But there is very tight space for the rear strut...
    probably it's really hard to fit coilovers at the rear, but it's not impossible...

    also if you don't want coilover setup i think this is a very good option -> http://www.ebay.de/itm/4-Sportstosda...1#ht_500wt_949

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by projektzwo View Post
    probably it's really hard to fit coilovers at the rear, but it's not impossible...

    also if you don't want coilover setup i think this is a very good option -> http://www.ebay.de/itm/4-Sportstosda...1#ht_500wt_949
    I think i will order a set and see how it works. I will make sure to take pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by Longboarding_G View Post
    you sir, win this battle.
    “Producing something of quality is obsessing over details nobody sees.”

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    829

    Default

    so it sounds like it may be dangerous to be using this kinda setup lol. Especially when you think that it was made for a car that was lighter than ours right? I haven't gone through with it (I'm trying to get my falcon ready for a show in a month) but I'm gonna give these a try for the front: http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...product=433802

    and these for the rear: http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...sub_category=1

    not sure which ones yet for the rear, but for the fronts, it says they're shortened for the car to go low, and they're adjustable to go lower. So I think I'll go that route and then maybe use cut 400E springs or H&R's for the higher spring rate. I mean, since you guys are just using the shock part of the e36 coilover right?

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    829

    Default

    projekt the car is looking sexy btw

  21. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HWY HNTR View Post
    , since you guys are just using the shock part of the e36 coilover right?
    I'm also running the helper spring, which gives it a bit of tension/adjustment. The top hat fits in the mount on mine, but doesn't go all the way in, to me thats just fine. Its a tapered hat, which is designed to go into a mount that wont allow it to go all the way through, It's actually very similar to my MK1 and MK3 vw's. The only difference here is that there is no bearing.

    The car is still riding strong. Just a lot of rub from the 19's. haha.

    Projektzwo - your car looks great.
    Last edited by Iam138; 10-25-2011 at 06:43 PM.

  22. #47

    Default

    finally the rear shocks are in, used the front coilover sping (+ helper springs) setup for the rear and i can say it feels really good, also the rear now is where i want it...

    gotta fix the front fenders + rolling and pulling the rears, just to suit the front ones, after that i'll be able to put some spacers

    some shitty pictures, really sorry about the quality and don't mind that the car is dirty dirty:




  23. #48

    Default

    Looks great!

  24. #49

    Default

    that looks really wicked.. dont you get any rubbing at all or the rim of the wheel hitting the fender? Have you installed the rear camber adjuster or is that a natural camber because of how low your car is?

  25. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Niks View Post
    that looks really wicked.. dont you get any rubbing at all or the rim of the wheel hitting the fender? Have you installed the rear camber adjuster or is that a natural camber because of how low your car is?
    no rubbing issues at all... well once it was with full tank + 4 people + 2 wheels in the trunk and bam - hits 1-2 times, but roads here in Bulgaria are really awful...

    and the rear camber is natural

    now with the winter setup the car is little bit lower than that...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •