Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Benz people! Need W124 help, E36 Coilovers?

Great thread... a lot of confusion, lol, but great thread.
    I have a (hopefully) very simple question. . .maybe a couple. I have done significant research on this as well.

Question 1: I have the 300 springs and plan to just cut some coils off, both the front and the back. I will never adjust a coil over setup anyways. For the rear, I have '95 Ford Ranger rear shocks and yes, they do fit great. Directly bolt for those of you wondering. ...FOR THE FRONT: IF I didn't want to run E36 coil overs, could I just walk into O'Reily's and buy front struts for an E36 and modify those to fit?

Question 1, pt2: Do the Beretta ones fit? Pt 3: Which of the two require less modification? Pt 4: I read that the R129 Mount not only provides a better ride, but might accommodate the the taller shock stalk of the E36?

Here is the article about the R129 (for the W124): http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=28273

Thank you guys! Really anxious to get it on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMeTroy View Post
    Great thread... a lot of confusion, lol, but great thread.
    I have a (hopefully) very simple question. . .maybe a couple. I have done significant research on this as well.

Question 1: I have the 300 springs and plan to just cut some coils off, both the front and the back. I will never adjust a coil over setup anyways. For the rear, I have '95 Ford Ranger rear shocks and yes, they do fit great. Directly bolt for those of you wondering. ...FOR THE FRONT: IF I didn't want to run E36 coil overs, could I just walk into O'Reily's and buy front struts for an E36 and modify those to fit?

Question 1, pt2: Do the Beretta ones fit? Pt 3: Which of the two require less modification? Pt 4: I read that the R129 Mount not only provides a better ride, but might accommodate the the taller shock stalk of the E36?

Here is the article about the R129 (for the W124): http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=28273

Thank you guys! Really anxious to get it on the road.
    please keep us updated on the ride quality on the Ranger shocks. I don't care if they fit or not. I want to know if it improved the ride quality
    Lucas
    Quote Originally Posted by LCG View Post
    High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Laguna Beach,CA Glendale, AZ Soon to be Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Iam138 View Post
    For fun, here it is bottomed out on the tires up front with the rear sitting about where we want.

Pretty sure there is more room to go down, but the 19's are stopping us.

Ended up pulling the coilover spring and pretty much just going with a cut W124 spring up front with the helper only adjsuted all the way up on the coilover, no binding, rides really well. The W124 spring is cut enough that if we start threading down the coilover, it will lower the car a but more, probably to about the point we had it in the first pic.

Out back, it is a cut W124 spring with the raceland adjuster, and a Saab 900 shock (Monroe part# 5977) It rides great and still has about 3 inches of travel.

Comparison shot of the rear shocks:

You'll notice that the lower mouonting point on the saab piece is wider, we simply trimmed it down so it matched up with the stock mounting location. Super easy.

This is how it sits as of now. Up about a 1/4" from the pic where it was on the tires:

At some point when the weather is decent I'll take some good pics of the car.
    Hey so on my old 190 I ran the ford ranger '95 shocks and they were extremely short but worked perfect. In regards to the bushing at the bottom of the strut of the saab strut can you press it out? On the ranger shocks I just swapped out the bottom mounting bushing and it worked perfectly fine.

To add on to this, springs from a Skyline C110 / Datsun 240K are sold new to market and fit perfectly inside the rubber cup / spring cup, they as a stock spring are 4 coils shorter than factory springs

Do all Saab 900 rear struts fit? Meaning every year 1978-1998 model ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
    Do all Saab 900 rear struts fit? Meaning every year 1978-1998 model ones.
    Still unclear for me as well. But I read on multiple sites and forums that they are way too soft.

Apparently the Ranger fronts are stiffer.
    Lucas
    Quote Originally Posted by LCG View Post
    High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Quote Originally Posted by loekaaz View Post
    Still unclear for me as well. But I read on multiple sites and forums that they are way too soft.

Apparently the Ranger fronts are stiffer.
    ok this bad

I'm going to get new shocks for the rear, but I fear the Ranger fronts might be too short, because I run 17x10's with natural camber in the back. Thought about Ta-Technix ones, they are 40% stiffer and 20mm shorter than original ones.

I have 1969 Dodge Charger front shocks in the back of my 300te with 2 coils cut off stock springs. The cheapest AutoZone had to offer. They bolted right up with a lit bit of grinding on the eyelet end of the shock. Still using the SLS control arms with 5-6 washers from Home Depot. Had to kind of hammer the bolt through, but it works. Ghetto, I know.

Even with the increased spring rate of the cut coils, the shocks seem to be more than capable of dealing with it.

So what I'm getting from this thread is to use the e36 coils just swap out the rear shocks with ford ranger front struts or Saab rear struts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did a C124 with a BWS e36 set up. First off, the e36 stuff works but it doesn't just bolt up.

First thing is that there is no reasonable spring that will go in the stock location up front that will not just bind the spring as soon as the weight of the car is on it. We tried 18k, and it squashed it completely, and instantaneously. I had to mount the spring on the shock, to make it a strut. I used a 16k with our valving for an e36 and it was on the money.

In the rear, we also used a 16k 5" spring with an adjuster at the top and bottom of the spring to create some height. I would have liked to use a 8" or 7" spring in the rear, but the customer couldn't wait for the proper size we anted to use.

All in all, it rides great and goes super low. IMO, these cars are too easy to bag and use cheap koni/bilstein struts to not do it. I fell in love with the C124, but i will be bagging mine when the time comes.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

A heads up for all W201 and W124 owners especially in Europe, Ta-Technix now offers coilovers for W201 and W124.
    http://www.tatechnix.de/tatechnix/gx...lass-w124.html

Slightly cheaper in eBay.

Default Benz people Need W124 help E36 Coilovers

thanks again guys you are being a lot bigger help to me than you realize. i NEED to get this sorted out because he front end needs to be aligned and i dont want to mess up my truck/wheels/tires, etc.

im going to do what you suggested and find some pics of trucks i like and post them here for you to see.