Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benz people! Need W124 help, E36 Coilovers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does people think of the yellow speed racing coilovers for the W124? Can't decide if I want to spend 6k to have bags installed or put coilovers on her. Not trying to go crazy stance just low enough to fill the fender gap. Sorry for the thread hijack.
    Last edited by mikes02ls1; 12-21-2013, 11:23 AM.

Comment

6K for a bag set up? I'll fly out and do it for 5.

I have the YSR 124 kit installed on my wagon. Only had the whole kit for a few weeks, but it rides great, and the front can go lower. I'm maxed out in the rear though unless I get creative. I got them from car shop USA, awesome customer service, highly recommended.

Last edited by Nicolaus Pro; 12-24-2013, 08:10 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolaus Pro View Post
        6K for a bag set up? I'll fly out and do it for 5.

I have the YSR 124 kit installed on my wagon. Only had the whole kit for a few weeks, but it rides great, and the front can go lower. I'm maxed out in the rear though unless I get creative. I got them from car shop USA, awesome customer service, highly recommended.

JEALOUS of your Yellow setup, I'm on bumpstops all around on e36 coils/ 3 1/2 coils cut up front, Saab struts/2 coils cut rear, and it doesn't ride super bad but the rear is pretty bouncy being bottomed out. next time you're playing with the rears do you think you can measure the length of the yellow strut? I'm thinking about giving BC a call (they're an hour south of me) and having some custom super short struts made for the rear, that or airlift/etc. Eventually I'm going to run a true coilover setup on these e36 coils up front, Just need to get my strut tower cuts boxed in so I don't bend my strut towers or anything.
        IG/TWITTER @alloydhiggins

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone have any tips or info on how to go about lowering my w116 300sd? i have read a lil bit about cut springs and bilsteins hd's but was wondering if i have any other choices other then going on air?

Comment

Read the whole thread, still confused what works and what doesn't.
            So to sum it up.
            Front: E36 coilover shock in the front, but you can't adjust anything. Springs should just be stiffer, to prevent bouncing?
            Rear: Saab 900 (what year?) / Ford Ranger shocks? However which springs?
            I'm planning to go lower with a W201, but with the answers here, it seems not much room for adjusting with those setups, or am I wrong? Would be nice to have at least 1-2 inches of adjusting room.
            Last edited by Jorgen; 06-18-2014, 07:54 AM.

Building a W124 Benz

Comment

Have you guys looked into the Yellow Speed Racing Coilovers made for the W124?

I think they are a direct fit.
              Hella4 | MTechnica Wheels - Wheel Designer | Memoryfab

Comment

How did you guys manage to buy individual struts from Raceland? They keep giving me evasive answers...
                Mint green Mk2 build
                Daily 190E build

Comment

Bump. Are TA-Technix front coils good for their price or should I just go JOM or Raceland. Which is the easiest requiring less fab work. I got my Ranger struts like 2 weeks ago for the rear already, so I plan on dumping the shit out of it.

Comment

Here's my information:

I used E36 JOM front struts, they bolt in 1:1, except the knuckle part, the strut and Benz knuckle bolt holes don't match 1:1, but with some drilling or hammer action you can get the bolt in fairly easily. The next thing I discovered is that the E36 strut top thread is longer than the W201 OEM one and had to add 2 shims so it would be properly tightened. I cut 3.5 coils off original springs leaving the spring pad. It slammed my W201 on 17x8 205/40 in front.

The next problems were solely rubbing, W201's seem to have odd shaped fenders. Of course I messed up my fenders, but that's not the worst issue. The oddest thing I found is that the corner where bumper and fender match is the worst place where to rub, it ripped some rubber of the tyre, but nothing major. Any W201 guys know how to handle these problems? Because the fender itself was already messed, I just bent the corner more outside to clear it from the tyre.

Building a W124 Benz

Comment

• Do the E36 camber plates use the same mounting pattern as the W201/W124?
                      I know that the shape makes them impossible to fit, but I am curious if the three studs line up, in which case it would be easy to just trim the shape, or if the mounting pattern is different also.

Comment

• Great thread... a lot of confusion, lol, but great thread.
                        I have a (hopefully) very simple question. . .maybe a couple. I have done significant research on this as well.

Question 1: I have the 300 springs and plan to just cut some coils off, both the front and the back. I will never adjust a coil over setup anyways. For the rear, I have '95 Ford Ranger rear shocks and yes, they do fit great. Directly bolt for those of you wondering. ...FOR THE FRONT: IF I didn't want to run E36 coil overs, could I just walk into O'Reily's and buy front struts for an E36 and modify those to fit?

Question 1, pt2: Do the Beretta ones fit? Pt 3: Which of the two require less modification? Pt 4: I read that the R129 Mount not only provides a better ride, but might accommodate the the taller shock stalk of the E36?

Here is the article about the R129 (for the W124): http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=28273

Thank you guys! Really anxious to get it on the road.

Comment

• Originally posted by TurboMeTroy View Post
                          Great thread... a lot of confusion, lol, but great thread.
                          I have a (hopefully) very simple question. . .maybe a couple. I have done significant research on this as well.

Question 1: I have the 300 springs and plan to just cut some coils off, both the front and the back. I will never adjust a coil over setup anyways. For the rear, I have '95 Ford Ranger rear shocks and yes, they do fit great. Directly bolt for those of you wondering. ...FOR THE FRONT: IF I didn't want to run E36 coil overs, could I just walk into O'Reily's and buy front struts for an E36 and modify those to fit?

Question 1, pt2: Do the Beretta ones fit? Pt 3: Which of the two require less modification? Pt 4: I read that the R129 Mount not only provides a better ride, but might accommodate the the taller shock stalk of the E36?

Here is the article about the R129 (for the W124): http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=28273

Thank you guys! Really anxious to get it on the road.
                          please keep us updated on the ride quality on the Ranger shocks. I don't care if they fit or not. I want to know if it improved the ride quality
                          Lucas
                          Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                          Originally posted by LCG
                          High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iam138 View Post
                            For fun, here it is bottomed out on the tires up front with the rear sitting about where we want.

Pretty sure there is more room to go down, but the 19's are stopping us.

Ended up pulling the coilover spring and pretty much just going with a cut W124 spring up front with the helper only adjsuted all the way up on the coilover, no binding, rides really well. The W124 spring is cut enough that if we start threading down the coilover, it will lower the car a but more, probably to about the point we had it in the first pic.

Out back, it is a cut W124 spring with the raceland adjuster, and a Saab 900 shock (Monroe part# 5977) It rides great and still has about 3 inches of travel.

Comparison shot of the rear shocks:

You'll notice that the lower mouonting point on the saab piece is wider, we simply trimmed it down so it matched up with the stock mounting location. Super easy.

This is how it sits as of now. Up about a 1/4" from the pic where it was on the tires:

At some point when the weather is decent I'll take some good pics of the car.
                            Hey so on my old 190 I ran the ford ranger '95 shocks and they were extremely short but worked perfect. In regards to the bushing at the bottom of the strut of the saab strut can you press it out? On the ranger shocks I just swapped out the bottom mounting bushing and it worked perfectly fine.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                            I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

• To add on to this, springs from a Skyline C110 / Datsun 240K are sold new to market and fit perfectly inside the rubber cup / spring cup, they as a stock spring are 4 coils shorter than factory springs
                              '87 Benz 190E

BUILD THREAD

Comment

• Do all Saab 900 rear struts fit? Meaning every year 1978-1998 model ones.

Building a W124 Benz

Comment

Working...
                                X