E30 Coilovers - What do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArbPotatoes View Post
    lowering springs won't get you the drop you want, i'm sure of this.
    Yeah, really regretting it now lol. Thinking about just selling them on before I even open the box, save somebody else shipping them over. Then just buy some decent name-brand coils. Live and learn I guess
    sigpic

Comment

If you're considering Ksport, may as well look at D2 as well. They're 100% the EXACT same thing. D2/Ksport has definitely made improvements, and during my 2 years there (August '09 to July '11), 95% of warranty claims were due to improper installation or accidents.

Comment

Just to add, I know of one or two with true coil overs on the rear without problems.

If you think about it as, with a true coil over the spring is acting on the shock, not the strut tower. Where as a spring in it's original position is forcing the trailing arm down, the damper works against this motion and therefore pulls down on your struts. If that makes sense?

I went for a BC Racing setup, few guys I know of E30owners have them and love them. I can't comment yet as I'm a long way of from fitting mine but I expect to be able to get them comfortable and low enough.

Comment

Originally posted by theREALpendulum View Post
          If you're considering Ksport, may as well look at D2 as well. They're 100% the EXACT same thing. D2/Ksport has definitely made improvements, and during my 2 years there (August '09 to July '11), 95% of warranty claims were due to improper installation or accidents.
          Haha yeah I've heard of this being the case from a few places. As it turns out the blue ones in the OP are also made in the same factory apparently, I found a big post by their PR dude on another forum and he stated this. It's really six of one or half a dozen of the other.

Originally posted by Jozi View Post
          Just to add, I know of one or two with true coil overs on the rear without problems.

If you think about it as, with a true coil over the spring is acting on the shock, not the strut tower. Where as a spring in it's original position is forcing the trailing arm down, the damper works against this motion and therefore pulls down on your struts. If that makes sense?

I went for a BC Racing setup, few guys I know of E30owners have them and love them. I can't comment yet as I'm a long way of from fitting mine but I expect to be able to get them comfortable and low enough.
          I've decided on BC Racing BR coils after hearing lots of good things, and they go plenty low enough which is nice. Can you recommend me some spring rates? I was just going to go with the offered 6kg/6kg but I've heard of others opting for higher ratings.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm not clued up at all on spring rates etc, can't help you there.

Comment

Makes sense. I know that when I was at Ksport, we only sold the E30 that required welding because shipping the ones w/ the knuckles was too expensive. The full coilover rears have been available for awhile, but were just debuted at SEMA. Got a link to that info from the blue coilovers?

As far as spring rates go, that's really subjective. Generally you can go +/- 2kg/mm before needing to revalve. Since you're looking for coilovers to help perfect your stance, I'd go a little stiffer. 7.5kg/mm front, 7kg/mm in the rear should do it. I'm not familiar w/ the E30s at all, so someone else might have a better idea.
              Last edited by theREALpendulum; 11-15-2011, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jozi View Post

you are loading the shock tower regardless. the car was not designed to have the weight distributed to these points. you need to reinforce the area before converting to a true coilover setup.
                Last edited by NegativeCamber; 11-15-2011, 12:03 PM.
                Originally posted by Kielan
                I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

You are right though in saying they need to be reinforced, there are plates available for this (from a Z3 maybe) from a few of the different sites for uprated parts. I'm lucky in that my tourings already comes with reinforc rear struts although there's probably no harm in having them plates as well.

Perhaps the additional loading from a true rear coilover comes from stiffer springs or harder shock transfering forces to the strut?

All I know (what I have read) is that there's guys out there running true coilovers without problems, one of them I'm confident has had his setup for well over a year with frequent track sessions and no problems or failures of the shock tower.

With a true coilover you also run into clearance problems with the breather pipe cover, might be depending on spring diameter though.

Comment

Originally posted by theREALpendulum View Post
                    Got a link to that info from the blue coilovers?
                    Found the site I found it on again, turns out he said
                    And it's the same factory as the cusco and selex coilovers.
                    So that's my bad lol. The site is here:
                    Hey guys, i'm not sure if i'm allowed too, but i thought it might be a useful information for some people. This is my ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com.au/gt4-celica?_rdc=1 I have good quality / cheap coilovers. They are made in Taiwan, not China. (big difference in quality) The factory...

For a different car but still relevant I guess. Thanks for the tip on the spring rates too, I really have no idea about this kind of thing so any help is appreciated!

As for the coilover conversion I don't think I will bother, for clearance reasons if nothing else! It's already pretty tight back there just testfitting my wheels, would've been awesome if my rears were et0 rather than +15.
                    sigpic

Comment

ground control coilovers with shortened housings. there the best coilovers for the e30,

Ground Control Suspension Systems is your stop for high quality American Made Performance Suspension for your BMW, Honda, Acura, Mustang, Camaro, Mustang, ETC!

Comment

Originally posted by m3rz View Post
                        ground control coilovers with shortened housings. there the best coilovers for the e30,

www.ground-control.com
                        +1!

Comment

swap everythign to e36

Comment

Originally posted by Ifield View Post
                            I've decided on BC Racing BR coils after hearing lots of good things, and they go plenty low enough which is nice. Can you recommend me some spring rates? I was just going to go with the offered 6kg/6kg but I've heard of others opting for higher ratings.
                            ive got bcs and theyre real nice,nearly sure the spring rates on mine were 10/6kg, i didnt ask for anything different, just what they came with.
                            i daily drive my e30 and theyre perfect. my dad actually said that my car was more comfortable with the bcs than the h&r/bilstein setup i had before.

Comment

Those eBay ones you can't get with the knuckles anymore as they can't get them in taiwan anymore.

From my research I've gathered you have KSport/D2/XYZ which local shops get in and sell. Thru those sources here in Perth they are like $1500. All need to be welded to stock knuckles but competent suspension places can do that with little worry. These seem to be all similar quality in so far as they aren't great ride wise but quality seems ok in terms of reliability these days.

Outside of this you have the eBay ones, I'd put them in the same pile as above just since they seem similar and are a little unknown. As you say they're like 1000 delivered weld on.

Then you have BC BR which despite being cheap it's hard to find a bad word on them. Custom rates and valving is apparently available but only Aussie seller I found was on eBay and just jap and both say they don't believe they revalve if you up the spring rates? So I'm unsure of that as I thought they should be.

Next you have GAZ from the UK. I'd say they are the uk equivalent to ground controls. RPM performance uk sell them but there is also gazcoilovers.com which is another vendor. They offer custom specs in terms of springs, valving, lowness and do 'street' ones which are the GHA and Gold which are 'race' spec. The gold are harder valving, more adjustable and anodized. The GHA are just zinc coated and less adjustable internal damping. Both go low tho, the guy above with the cab has the GHA.
                              Gaz are like $1200 for GHA and $1600 for Gold, plus postage and extra cost if you want them to source and weld spindles for you. So plus post and that I reckon cost would be on par with ground controls at like 2000-2200 delivered.

In terms of rates, it really does depend on matching to the dampers too. Just cause rates are hard doesn't mean car will ride shit and bounce. I had 8/6 on my s chassis and easily dd it. I had 10/6 then 12/8 then 18/12 on my Lexus and dd that too. All rode good, tbh 8/6 was bouncier.
                              For e30 you need harder up back due to trailing arm design. I've been recommended 8/10 or 7/9 for dd e30.

Gl man! I've been meaning to purchase for months but other things crop up :p maybe early 2012 I will pull the trigger on something!

Comment

Originally posted by Ant View Post
                                Those eBay ones you can't get with the knuckles anymore as they can't get them in taiwan anymore.

From my research I've gathered you have KSport/D2/XYZ which local shops get in and sell. Thru those sources here in Perth they are like $1500. All need to be welded to stock knuckles but competent suspension places can do that with little worry. These seem to be all similar quality in so far as they aren't great ride wise but quality seems ok in terms of reliability these days.

Outside of this you have the eBay ones, I'd put them in the same pile as above just since they seem similar and are a little unknown. As you say they're like 1000 delivered weld on.

Then you have BC BR which despite being cheap it's hard to find a bad word on them. Custom rates and valving is apparently available but only Aussie seller I found was on eBay and just jap and both say they don't believe they revalve if you up the spring rates? So I'm unsure of that as I thought they should be.

Next you have GAZ from the UK. I'd say they are the uk equivalent to ground controls. RPM performance uk sell them but there is also gazcoilovers.com which is another vendor. They offer custom specs in terms of springs, valving, lowness and do 'street' ones which are the GHA and Gold which are 'race' spec. The gold are harder valving, more adjustable and anodized. The GHA are just zinc coated and less adjustable internal damping. Both go low tho, the guy above with the cab has the GHA.
                                Gaz are like $1200 for GHA and $1600 for Gold, plus postage and extra cost if you want them to source and weld spindles for you. So plus post and that I reckon cost would be on par with ground controls at like 2000-2200 delivered.

In terms of rates, it really does depend on matching to the dampers too. Just cause rates are hard doesn't mean car will ride shit and bounce. I had 8/6 on my s chassis and easily dd it. I had 10/6 then 12/8 then 18/12 on my Lexus and dd that too. All rode good, tbh 8/6 was bouncier.
                                For e30 you need harder up back due to trailing arm design. I've been recommended 8/10 or 7/9 for dd e30.

Gl man! I've been meaning to purchase for months but other things crop up :p maybe early 2012 I will pull the trigger on something!
                                Oh wow, I feel terrible that I've only just noticed this huge reply! I ended up going with BC Racing's BR series. They look great and feel very solid, fitting them some point soon and then the 16x9s are going on. Will update this thread with the results so others can see. Thanks so much for all the input folks, and kev.skyline your post makes me very optimistic.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X