• Show
Clear All

The man has spoken.
    -Brandon
    E46 No More..
    Her Concise History:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=778655

Comment

I've always preferred the looks of the Coupe over the Sedan...even though Mick and me picked up a sedan as a project, lol was too good of a deal to pass.

I suppose it depends on what you wanna do though, if you're gonna be carrying people, the sedan is obviously more practical, haha

Also, the year thing depends on what you wanna do...newer is better so far as less worn out parts, nicer options, etc. but if you wanna build it for boost or swap the engine etc, and you have to deal with emission laws, then you'll want an OBD1 car.

Look out for subframe mounting points on the body wearing out. Our project car had this happen, which is why we got it for so cheap, as it's currently undrivable, the front 2 mounting points where the subframe bolts to the body ripped out, no beuno.
      Last edited by 1985zcar; 11-01-2009, 02:15 PM.

2004 350Z Twin Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by 1985zcar View Post
        I've always preferred the looks of the Coupe over the Sedan...even though Mick and me picked up a sedan as a project, lol was too good of a deal to pass.

I suppose it depends on what you wanna do though, if you're gonna be carrying people, the sedan is obviously more practical, haha

Also, the year thing depends on what you wanna do...newer is better so far as less worn out parts, nicer options, etc. but if you wanna build it for boost or swap the engine etc, and you have to deal with emission laws, then you'll want an OBD1 car.

Look out for subframe mounting points on the body wearing out. Our project car had this happen, which is why we got it for so cheap, as it's currently undrivable, the front 2 mounting points where the subframe bolts to the body ripped out, no beuno.
        He said it's going to be a dedicated track car so I am pretty sure that looks and/or the ability to carry people don't matter at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff.T View Post
          Just get a E36 M3 Sedan. The Sedans feel slightly more rigid than the coupes. Also, the head room is better in the sedan. It makes a huge difference for helmet clearance. Lastly, the sedan is a easier car to service when a cage is in it.

I've had 2 e36 coupes before my sedan. Trust me, the sedan is the better way to go.
          this. said by the guy with the sickest E36 sedan on the interwebz.

13 5.BRO. 425whp/401wtq.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
              He said it's going to be a dedicated track car so I am pretty sure that looks and/or the ability to carry people don't matter at all.
              Yeah but his point about buying obd1 for a track/swapped car was dead on, so that rules out the sedan imo. Get 95 coupe and call it a day.

Comment

Sedan, but that has been decided. Another thing to consider is to get a car without fold down back seats if you can. Also makes the car slightly more rigid, along with the solid B-pillars of the sedan.

Comment

If you get a sedan, try and find an early 97, they weighed less then the 98's and 99's, But that was because of the airbag systems and a few other things, Are you going to be stripping it? or making it a street trim track car?

Also as far as comfort inside the cabin, the only thing is that the sedan doors are shorter, as is the front seat, but again if you are making it a track car, with an aftermarket seat you should be good.

As far as accessability of parts, when it comes to mechanical, suspension, drivetrain, its all the same pretty much. If not the same as the coupe, it wouldnt be that much harder to find, It only starts to become a pain when getting into body panels, dash's door cars. that kind of stuff.

After that all i can say it... DOOO ITTT
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nate325 View Post
                    If you get a sedan, try and find an early 97, they weighed less then the 98's and 99's, But that was because of the airbag systems and a few other things, Are you going to be stripping it? or making it a street trim track car?

Also as far as comfort inside the cabin, the only thing is that the sedan doors are shorter, as is the front seat, but again if you are making it a track car, with an aftermarket seat you should be good.

As far as accessability of parts, when it comes to mechanical, suspension, drivetrain, its all the same pretty much. If not the same as the coupe, it wouldnt be that much harder to find, It only starts to become a pain when getting into body panels, dash's door cars. that kind of stuff.

After that all i can say it... DOOO ITTT
                    The seats are the same minus they don't tilt/flip forward to allow backseat passengers in. Also to my knowledge nothing changed from 97 to 98. Some standard features were added like 3 spoke steering wheel and some minor refinements but nothing in terms of weight is different. They all have the side airbags and driver and passenger airbags.

In terms of weight it is NOT that much. 50ish pounds if I remember. The chassis is slightly stiffer due to the fact that it actually has a B Pillar and not just glass in the middle. Overall the difference is not that great. I would get the one that is cheaper.

Parts? They all fit the same in terms of anything important for a track car minus the roll cage which would be done on a 1 off basis and to your specs. It is easier to get into the car for work in the sedan. I can attest to that. Crawling into the back of my M3 coupe with a half cage was a big pain in the ass.

So hope that helps.

Comment

sedan ftw.

13 5.BRO. 425whp/401wtq.

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                        They all have the side airbags and driver and passenger airbags.

So hope that helps.
                        My '97 sedan didn't come with Side airbags.

Comment

Working...
                        X