Trunk Impaired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Earl View Post
    I just use e30 shocks which are the proper Ti length same rear suspension as an e30. So you can get the rear section for any e30 kits. But you can actually put sleeves on the rear shocks with springs and then remove the original spring completely. You just need to reinforce the side of the rear towers to keeo them from flexing.

Edit: I could get these at 4" to make it as low as I want and if its too low I can kit turn the adjusters up just don't know what rate I should get? http://store.bimmerworld.com/hyperco...rco-p1483.aspx
    One thing to keep in mind is that if you use standard Ti length shocks but shortened springs you'll be going through shocks much faster because the shocks are valved to work with a certain spring height. So I'd advise that if you're going to a much shorter spring, then 1.5 inches (40mm) would greatly reduce the stress on your shocks and make them last longer. But yeah the shocks that came with my kit are for the sedan/coupe so I'm using the tall RSMs just to reduce strain and hopefully drop it that little bit more before I decide to go to 4" springs as well. As far as the spring rate I really couldn't tell you for sure. I know that the ones in my kit are 5" and 850f/900r which I would imagine (for the rear) is way stiffer than it should/needs to be on a Ti. I can't find a concrete number for what a stock Ti's rear spring rate is, but if I had that we could compare it to the spring rate on an E36 coupe/sedan and go from there (hooray for math).

Comment

Loving it man!

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

How much did you end up paying for the ground control mounts? Couldn't I weld up my own if i had the flange cut on the laser by me at work? And its awesome that we can work together to figure this out are you planning on going any lower in the rear?
        95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
          Loving it man!
          Thanks!

How much did you end up paying for the ground control mounts? Couldn't I weld up my own if i had the flange cut on the laser by me at work? And its awesome that we can work together to figure this out are you planning on going any lower in the rear?
          Theoretically you could fab something similar up but I'd be a little sketched to run something I made myself on my car. The mounts were $150 from Bimmerworld (in suspension under Urethane Bushings) so they didn't necessarily break the bank. I definitely plan on going lower in the rear, I'm on the lowest setting on my adjuster so my next step is the RSMs which will give me another 1.5" of drop. I'll see how she's sitting then and decide whether I'll take the next step which would be the 4" Hypercos. Before any of that though the fenders will need some.... let's call it "massaging" If I had the stock spring rate (which I may dig into later) I could probably get a good estimate of what spring rates would be best. It's kind of hard to judge though because taking static Ti's this low (running 4" springs) is largely unchartered territory.
          Last edited by Trunky; 03-27-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

IIRC, the lowest static Ti rear sat at about the height mine is. We need to push the envelope. As soon as I'm donr refinishing my wheels and such I need to make a thread
            95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

IIRC, the lowest static Ti rear sat at about the height mine is. We need to push the envelope. As soon as I'm donr refinishing my wheels and such I need to make a thread
              Well then hurry up and finish! I wanna see those Style 5s.

Comment

Haha I want to see them done too. Just have pesky scratches around the lips after we buffed them oh, and if you ever polish anything, get sharkhide aluminum protectant. It isn't a clear coat and will never chip. You wipe it on and it bonds with the metal, but doesnr change the finish. So it is invisible and lasts three years on boat hulls on lakes. So 3+ years on wheels. Never have to do anyrhing besides wash them
                95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

here

these are actual pics of my set thats on my car btw

Comment

Originally posted by Spax MC View Post
                    Not trying to be a dick, but I'm not sure what relevance this has to the rest of the thread. Were you responding to an earlier post or something?

Comment

I believe he was responding to you saying there is no coilover kit made specific for the TI. lol Anything new bud? my bumper arrived and I'm waiting on getting a hold of someone so paint the front half of my car and touch up some spots. I have to resand my wheels from 220 on up to 2000 grit according to the polisher =/ But I hope I can get this thing looking proper soon=D Damn shame we live so far apart. lol
                      95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

I love the Ti. I also love this car. Keep up the good work, and welcome to the crew!

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                        www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
                        I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Comment

I believe he was responding to you saying there is no coilover kit made specific for the TI. lol Anything new bud? my bumper arrived and I'm waiting on getting a hold of someone so paint the front half of my car and touch up some spots. I have to resand my wheels from 220 on up to 2000 grit according to the polisher =/ But I hope I can get this thing looking proper soon=D Damn shame we live so far apart. lol
                          Oh, if that's the case I knew those kits existed but as far as I can tell they're not true f/r coilovers. They have true front coilovers but the same divorced rear setup as on any other Ti. As far as I've seen this GAZ setup for the Compact Cup Series in the UK is the only true f/r coilover system for the Ti.

Not necessary in my opinion apart from serious racing applications.

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
                          I love the Ti. I also love this car. Keep up the good work, and welcome to the crew!
                          Thanks a lot, I'm a big fan of the work you guys do at FMU.

Comment

You have to also reinforce the crap out of the rear shuck towers when you do the rear coils? You can buy a kit to just weld perches and such to any rear shocks you have.
                            95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

I like where this is heading, especially when you mentioned the SR swap.
                              ///M 2.0
                              G60 POWAR... never forget

Comment

I'm pretty new too, so I don't think I'm allowed to welcome people yet hahaha.
                                pretty slick car tho, just gotta lower it to the point of no return now.

Comment

Working...
                                X