This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Night Shooting

So I'm trying my hand at night photography on cars. This is my Tib, and was wondering what tips anyone could give me.

Cam is a 1D MkII with a USM f/2.8L 16-35 I believe the first photo is at ISO 100 the last 3 are ISO400. I had a Speedlight 580ex with me and was using it, but I'm pretty sure I'd need real strobes to get better shots. Anyhow here we go.

(I apparently forgot to add stroke to this one)

1st shot is alright. The other 3 are just meh. Your composition needs some work so i suggest working on that then going from there.

Comment

Yeah, I suppose I really shouldn't be cutting off random parts of the car...

Comment

1st shot is good though, your at the right height. Maybe a TAD more to the right. 2nd shot is too high, looks to be at about eye level, weird angle for most cars. And last 2 shots are just poor, I don't wanna get you down though the first shot is nice!

Comment

Yeah I had the tripod almost maxed out for the second one. And I definitely see the noobishness of the last 2. I surf too many car forums that don't have good photographers unlike this place hahaha.

Comment

Not a completly bad start.
            But you have a ballin camera and lens.

Comment

1 has better composition, but 2 is a better shot IMO.

Even with night shots you need to watch your shadows.

Comment

Originally posted by RD408 View Post
                Not a completly bad start.
                But you have a ballin camera and lens.
                Haha, but it's proof that those things don't make you a good photographer. I love the fuck outta that lens.

Thanks Swirley, I thought pretty much the same thing.

Comment

Too Much Shadowing , cover it up with another strobe , and these would be nice photos.

Comment

Yeah, just need to get my hands on a set of strobes....

Comment

Looks like you are exposing for the rest of the frame, and not the car itself. Less exposure, more strobe; while the building backgrounds are kind of neat, they seem to be what the scene was metered for, not the car. Also, watch your reflections in the car.
                      I like to modify things.
                      flickr
                      Inyo Photo
                      -Chad

Comment

I think the thing you have to pay attention too in night shooting is where you place the car with the available light.

Use street lights/ building lights to your advantage to light up the car. For instance in the last two pictures, if you shot it from the other side, the car would not be in the shadow, but rather would have the effect of having a night light source to light up the car.

I think that more than anything helps make great night shots. Pay attention to the lighting around you. The same way you do with the sun, you don't shoot the shadowed side of the car, you shoot the sunny side.

The really trickey part is setting up a scene properly, to get a good graphic design composition while also achieving a nice ambient lighting setup. Hence the need for flashes. I would not mess around with flashes until you figure out how to place a car within a frame, as well as learn to use the ambient lights, using one 580 might help, but I would stay away from it initially, and then work on it after you learn where you need it at....
                        iiililillillliliil
                        bar|society

Comment

Working...
                        X