e36 M3 Problems, Please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replace brushes first, then measure.
    check aku also, it have to be about 12,4-12,5 VDC engine should be off then.

when you take it out I suggest to check bearing and replace if necessary.
    Last edited by Maro; 03-06-2011, 11:33 PM.

Comment

So I did as you all said alternator was fully rebuilt... and still nothing, no kick or anything. it will kick over for a second or two if you spray fuel into the air intake but then just splutters and stops.

Any help before I take it to DUN DUN DAH... BMW.
      Cheers guys!

Ohh new account also. Cheers'
      1996 e36 BMW M3 <3

Comment

well, its because the battery is empty. So put a jumper cable on it, meaning putting cables between the two batteries, on being on your car, and the other being in another car that is running (charging with his alternator)

the fuel pump is only there to pressurize the system, meaning its not suppose to be running all the time, if the engine lacks fuel, the pump to switch back on.

And what you are saying now, it sounds like your battery has not enough "juice" to fire up the engine.
        -Instagram@jdjurhuus
        Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

+1 for the alternator.
          If this isn' working the car will die (and the battery doesn't charge).
          Originally posted by Oxer
          I dont know why, but I love your car.. Its OEM cleanness makes me happy in the genitals.

Comment

Originally posted by K.rischan View Post
            +1 for the alternator.
            If this isn' working the car will die (and the battery doesn't charge).
            reading owns you. He got the faulty alternator sorted, but now the car wont run. My opinion is right above your post.
            -Instagram@jdjurhuus
            Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

You'll need to scan it, if the voltage at the LKM drops off before the car is shut off it can get out of sync with the EWS module and the cluster, causing issues like the fuel pumps not running that I doubt you'll have the tools to fix. BMWs do not generally take well to swapping in batteries one after another with varying voltages and attempting to continue to drive the car. Next time the alternator or any idiot light pops on on the dash turn it off and have it towed. It will come out cheaper in the long run and be less frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Zic View Post
                reading owns you. He got the faulty alternator sorted, but now the car wont run. My opinion is right above your post.
                Yeah I got a brand new battery also. but it just turns over constantly.

Originally posted by Bimmerteck View Post
                You'll need to scan it, if the voltage at the LKM drops off before the car is shut off it can get out of sync with the EWS module and the cluster, causing issues like the fuel pumps not running that I doubt you'll have the tools to fix. BMWs do not generally take well to swapping in batteries one after another with varying voltages and attempting to continue to drive the car. Next time the alternator or any idiot light pops on on the dash turn it off and have it towed. It will come out cheaper in the long run and be less frustrating.
                The fuel pump works. Has pressure upto the filter and probably taking off the fuel rail to see if its getting pressure.

yeah I learnt the hard way. I'll probably go to BMW.
                1996 e36 BMW M3 <3

Comment

for sure alternator. PLEASE PLEASE do not pay 1200 to replace your alternator....
                  by a used one / dont take it to BMW dealership, find a reputable performance shop, or bmw shop around you and they will do it for much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Masonbarnard View Post
                    for sure alternator. PLEASE PLEASE do not pay 1200 to replace your alternator....
                    by a used one / dont take it to BMW dealership, find a reputable performance shop, or bmw shop around you and they will do it for much cheaper.
                    Apparently you fail at reading posts.

He did get a new alternator and battery and now the car will still not start.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

what is the mileage?

edit: also check the sparkplugs, maybe they're greasy (don't know the right word)
                      Last edited by skyduk; 04-10-2011, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Have you checked it for a spark? Always check the basics first, e.g fuel, spark, fuses, relays etc. could be something as simple as a popped fuse.
                        Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster
                        Internet high five for you.

Comment

@Masonbarnard
                          Ignorance is bliss.

@skyduk
                          280xxx. so it is rather high...

@nellydragracer & @skyduk
                          Well it runs if you spray fuel into the intake so yeah the spark plugs are working.

Checked fuel tank, fuel pump and line yesterday and it seems to have no fuel in the drivers side of the tank (right), so since a couple of diagrams I have found show fuel does fill that side. so I shall siphon fuel from the passenger side to the drivers side. since it seems that the current siphon isn't working, will update.

If any of you see a problem with that let us know cheers guys.
                          1996 e36 BMW M3 <3

Comment

I know the fault well... Had an e60 530d in work with the exact same fault, for some reason it emptied one side of the tank. Put some more diesel in it, fired up a treat an it hasn't happened since.
                            Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster
                            Internet high five for you.

Comment

Originally posted by nellydragracer View Post
                              I know the fault well... Had an e60 530d in work with the exact same fault, for some reason it emptied one side of the tank. Put some more diesel in it, fired up a treat an it hasn't happened since.
                              Shall try it tonight. cheers man.
                              1996 e36 BMW M3 <3

Comment

Put fuel in the drivers side... 2nd go fired up.

Now to finish putting in the zero clearance shocks.

Cheers everyone!

And the battery light is now off so all of you that suggested the alternator, cheers.
                                Last edited by E36; 04-13-2011, 05:11 PM.
                                1996 e36 BMW M3 <3

Comment

Working...
                                X