BBS Super RS vs a newbie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBS Super RS vs a newbie.

Hello SW, i'm new to the whole "slow n low" scene and figured this is the best site to learn from

I know how annoying people get for not searching so a simple link will be appreciated.

So at this point there are few things im not sure about and have some questions.
    I looked/searched around the forum and there is a lot of information which made me lost, confused and thrown in many directions. I need some questions to be answered so i do this right the first time so take it easy on me since im new to this.

Waiting on a delivery of my dream wheels .. BBS Super RS from http://www.wheelgeeks.net/
    Wheel specs:
    18x8 et41
    18x9 et37
    5x114

Wheels are going on the mk6 GTI, lowered on FK Silverline X.

So here's where i need some advice.
    1) Re drill, get adapters or wobble bolts to convert the wheels to 5x112
    2) Will i need the hub centric rings?
    3) Tires size on a 18x8, 18x9
    205/35/18, 215/35/18
    205/40/18, 215/40/18
    215/35/18, 225/35/18
    215/40/18 225/40/18
    Or even 45? bigger stretch bigger height of the tire?
    I would like some stretch but nothing "show" crazy since the car and the wheels are used for daily driving in NJ so i want to be somewhere in between a nice stretch and practical daily use (roads are ok around NJ, never drive my car to NY though neither have people in my back seat) so what tire size should i go with?
    already looked on tyrestretch.com

4) Tires.
    I know all tires are different as far as how they stretch and how soft/stiff the sidewalls are.
    I definitely think i need tires that are stiff with strong sidewalls since im going for some stretch.. but i can be wrong? What would you recommend?

As far as fitment, im going to be pretty low so fronts im leaving et41 so im flush with my front fenders that are rolled already.

I dont race, track my car neither have anyone in the back seat so i want to max out the look of these wheels. And these wheels dont look right with fat tires and an "ok" drop. So im going to ride pretty low and want to make sure i run the right tires, sizes and offsets.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by cleanmk6; 02-03-2011, 03:20 AM.

No love for a newb

Comment

I can't really help with the adapter/redrill/wobble question because I'm not familiar with the fitment on your car. It is very likely that with offsets that high you are going to want adapters anyway though.

As for tires, If you can find 205/35 18 do that. If not, I would probably recommend 215/35 front and rear.

I have been running Federal 595's on my ex's car for a while now and like the way they stretch. You don't want stiff sidewalls with stretched tires.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
        I can't really help with the adapter/redrill/wobble question because I'm not familiar with the fitment on your car. It is very likely that with offsets that high you are going to want adapters anyway though.

As for tires, If you can find 205/35 18 do that. If not, I would probably recommend 215/35 front and rear.

I have been running Federal 595's on my ex's car for a while now and like the way they stretch. You don't want stiff sidewalls with stretched tires.
        Thanks for the reply. 215 seems like a common size with some stretch but not riding on a lip. You think i should do 215/40? so theres a lil meat on the tires to protect the wheels since i had to sell my left kidney to get them lol without the wheels looking silly.
        Last edited by cleanmk6; 02-03-2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

all you need is wobble bolts and 215/40

you still might need spacers

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

1. u can use wobble bolts (might need spacers)
            2. we can't answer that unless u provide wheel centrebore and wheel hub size
            3. 205/35/18 all round imo
            4. ???

Comment

Originally posted by Joker View Post
              1. u can use wobble bolts (might need spacers)
              2. we can't answer that unless u provide wheel centrebore and wheel hub size
              3. 205/35/18 all round imo
              4. ???
              If I only knew myself where to get that info, going to email the seller see if he can help out

As far as size I'm staring to lean towards 215/35 or 40/18 all around

Comment

205/40 front, if you can find them, if not 215/40 all around.
                You can either run adapters or redrill. If you redrill you will need spacers.

Comment

As far as tire stretch and sizing goes make sure to take into consideration the look you want and the brand your going to go with. For example a 215 falken might like like a 205 Bridgestone if you understand what im saying. Some tires run narrower than others.
                  "This community is made up of people who strive to push the boundaries of the conceivable"

Comment

Originally posted by Eric M View Post
                    As far as tire stretch and sizing goes make sure to take into consideration the look you want and the brand your going to go with. For example a 215 falken might like like a 205 Bridgestone if you understand what im saying. Some tires run narrower than others.
                    Yeaa.. There's more to all of this then I thought. I mean I've had many wheels before but were all reps with no crazy drops or anything since I was more into performance but I'm over that and love nice stance and some classy wheels so that's how I ended up with Super RS's and trying to make this right!
                    My questions is which company/brand tires should I go with? Something that will have some grip since I'm running such a skinny tire on a front wheel drive car.
                    So here's where I'm kinda lost since everyone is giving me different answers.

So either 205/40f and 215/40r or 215/35f and 215/35r???
                    The way I look at it, which one will perform better if I hit a pothole since there are many in NJ and as slow and caution as I drive.. Shit happens! Stretched but beefy vs wider but short?

As far as looks, after I figure out what size and brand tires to get I'm going to install the tires and put the wheels on the car to see where they gonna sit with a static drop that I want so then ill know what size spacers to get.
                    I can get pretty much any brand in sizes mentioned above but which ones? Since all different brands stretch differently..

Comment

I'm pretty sure 215/35 is the smallest you are going to get which makes it your best choice.

the 215/35 really wont be stretched on the front but if its a big concern, step up to the 40. Definitely no bigger than that.

Comment

Anyone got pics of any sizes mentioned above, please post them up and the brand of the tire as well as the wheel size!

Comment

So the wheels are finally here!

Next on the list is:
                          Re drilling to 5x112
                          Cleaning/washing
                          Polishing the lips, Hex caps and bolts
                          Hub rings
                          Tires

More pics will come soon!

Comment

Why are you re drilling?
                            The wheels are 5x114, your car is 5x112. Wobble bolts.
                            If you need lower offset, get spacers that bolt to your hub, wobble bolt onto those.
                            Spacers are cheaper than redrilling a set of wheels. Plus you shouldn't molest those super RSs.

Comment

Originally posted by macleanshaun View Post
                              Why are you re drilling?
                              The wheels are 5x114, your car is 5x112. Wobble bolts.
                              If you need lower offset, get spacers that bolt to your hub, wobble bolt onto those.
                              Spacers are cheaper than redrilling a set of wheels. Plus you shouldn't molest those super RSs.
                              Well having these wheels in both patterns is more attractive to potential future buyers as well as a direct fitment since I think I won't be spacing the wheels out since the offsets are perfect for the mk6 but if I do it's easier to just run spacers with re drilled wheels.

Comment

Working...
                              X