No announcement yet.

E30 Coilover options for budget ballin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if your gonna drop money for the kw's, try AST. i know of someone who runs them in his autox e30 and he loves them. elephantmotorsport.com sells them i think

Comment

• from my experience, coils that are good for autox and coils that go low are completely different. i just want to go low, and if it handles awesome then it's a plus

Comment

• Get GC's and have both

Comment

• meh i'll take handling first over low.

Comment

• the other thing i'm worried about with the GCs is inner wheel clearance, the perches and springs are quite a bit wider than the KWs are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madface View Post
              from my experience, coils that are good for autox and coils that go low are completely different. i just want to go low, and if it handles awesome then it's a plus
              What? Usually coils that are good for track/auto-x duty are a high quality part and should/probably have a large range of adjustment and go pretty low.

Cheap coilovers won't really be setup for handling and may allow you to simply slam the car.

Comment

• i've owned 5 VWs on various coilovers and that's what it seemd like to me.

bilstiens handled awesome, but didn't go low at all, still had gap all the way down on stock tire size.
                H&rs, handled almost as good as bilstein and went lower, but not slammed.
                FKs w/o adjustable dampening, handling was ok but they went really low.
                FKs w/adjustable dampening were about the same as base FKs, i didn't notice much of a difference.

suspension geometry on BMWs is quite a bit different than VWs, so maybe that has something to do with it...

Comment

• ok so i ended up getting the KW coils for $1380 shipped, got a chance to put them on last night and i'm really impressed. they ride great and i'm pretty sure they go lower than i could ever actually drive the car, the manual says max drop is 4.7". this is with the coils all the way UP, about 1/2" gap on a 205/40/17, and like i said they were just installed last night so still have to settle.

and in case you **** the wheels, so do i (they came on the car) and these are going on soon:

Comment

• Put em all the way down yet?

How do they ride?

Comment

• elaborate plz

Flickr

Comment

• elaborate on what?

the ride great, not too harsh but not too soft. the handle awesome too, i've always had VWs so its not too hard to beat that handling haha.

the skid plate is 2.5" from the ground where its at so i definitely won't be able to crank them all the way down...damn m42

Comment

• #1- It's a skid plate... it's supposed to hit the ground
                          #2- 2.5" is skyjacked. I had 1" to my PAN when I had my m42

do work son!

Comment

• hahaha i'm workin on it! my last car was a vr6 gti with the pan about an inch of the ground. picking up the wheels from getting redrilled in the morning and then just waiting on tires. it'll be dumped one way or another even if its dragging the skid plate on the ground constantly.

Comment

• Where did you get the KWs from?

Comment

• tunershop.com

about 3-3.5" of thread left on the fronts and 1/2" left in the rear

Comment

Working...
                                X