This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice: Moving to a new province and city in Canada

Hey everyone. I'm leaving my current place and moving this year. I need a change of scenery and I wanted to hear everyone's opinion on what would be some good options.

I love Toronto, and know a few people there, but Vancouver BC is also somewhere I've always wanted to spend some time.

I do consulting for large international companies right now to pay the bills, but my university degree is in fine arts (photography, design, illustration, installation, conceptual art). I'd like to have a 9-5, 7 day work week like i do now although the economy is still wallowing in its slow recovery. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. I don't party or go to da cluuuuub. I like live music, the arts, cars (duh).

What is your city and province like? friendly people? affordable upscale housing? pet friendly? job market? is it a city center or not? do you think i'd like it? (i'd probably like it )

I'm trying to drag my girlfriend with me. I can't lose a chick that welds, loves videogames AND cars.

Any and all advice or input is VERY welcome.

Thanks in advance guys

-Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

<3
    not winnipeg.

Comment

come to winnipeg. haha
      Originally posted by Jesus Christ
      he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

This thread gives me shivers.. seriously, I have no idea how you guys live in Canada / Nova ... bbbrrrrrrrrr. Go somewhere warm man!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          This thread gives me shivers.. seriously, I have no idea how you guys live in Canada / Nova ... bbbrrrrrrrrr. Go somewhere warm man!
          its hot as hell here in the summer. dont worry haha.
          Originally posted by Jesus Christ
          he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

Vancouver is beautiful. Toronto's core is exploding too. Both cities have wicked skylines. Lived briefly in both. Both very expensive. Ottawa has a beautiful core also.

Comment

Haha BC is pretty mild as far as Canadian weather goes if you don't mind rain.

Two things for the OP.
              1. Don't base your life around a woman.
              2. Vice Guide to Vancouver.
              91 Golf Rebuild - slow as fuck right now

Comment

Originally posted by renngolf View Post

Two things for the OP.
                i was going to say the opposite. good woman is much more important than great city.
                025garage

Comment

Been living in BC my whole life.

Grew up in Richmond 10 minutes from Vancouver. Spent my post secondary in Downtown Vancouver. I love my city to death. Everywhere I've travelled has been awesome, but the second I touch down in Vancouver, I fall back in love with the city I grew up in. The city is clean but expensive. Everything costs more here. I bought a 650 sqft condo in Delta (30 minutes from Vancouver) for a little over 200,000.00 The same size place would cost you double that EASILY in downtown areas like Yaletown, Gastown, Waterfront, and Kits.

Vancouver is super pet friendly, even the homeless have dogs and cats. Vancouver Canucks fans are the best hockey fans around. I've even converted 2 Calgarians to Vancouverite cheering.

The cops here don't like the stance dance but the stance lifestyle is still pretty big here.

The night life is awesome in Vancouver. Every weekend they shut down granville street to cars so you can barhop with ease AND so they can block off the streets easier if there is a gang related "incident" at any club or bar on the main strip. But for the most part it just means you are in the middle of a street party every weekend if you head down Granville.

The shopping is good. AND we have one of the few Lamborghini Reventon's in town. so there's always that to look forward to. Snowboarding is awesome here. We have 3 local mountains to choose from as well as Whistler and Mt.Baker are only a few hours away. In the summer they turn Whistler into a mountian biking village so if you're more into downhill mountain biking there's that.

You look like you will fit right in with your skinny jeans and oversized baseball cap! Come over to the best coast! You will definitely love Main st. that's where all the people ride their fixies and go to cafes to watch local artists sing songs and look at paintings.

Also, the sushi here is the bomb.
                  United we stance?

Comment

Sioux Lookout.

Comment

Originally posted by LronSigh View Post
                      Vancouver is beautiful. Toronto's core is exploding too. Both cities have wicked skylines. Lived briefly in both. Both very expensive. Ottawa has a beautiful core also.
                      That's helpful then that you've been to both. what didn't you like about both places?

Originally posted by renngolf View Post
                      Haha BC is pretty mild as far as Canadian weather goes if you don't mind rain.

Two things for the OP.
                      2. Vice Guide to Vancouver.
                      http://www.viceland.com/int/vancouve...php?country=us

Hahaha i can agree with number 1. Me agreeing with that however is kind of a case of "do as i say, not as i do". I've been burnt before, so i wouldn't say i'm actively basing my life around her. It just fits. Plus she can beat me at Dr.Mario on NES. Thats some marriage level shit right there.

Originally posted by dork View Post
                      Been living in BC my whole life.

Grew up in Richmond 10 minutes from Vancouver. Spent my post secondary in Downtown Vancouver. I love my city to death. Everywhere I've travelled has been awesome, but the second I touch down in Vancouver, I fall back in love with the city I grew up in. The city is clean but expensive. Everything costs more here. I bought a 650 sqft condo in Delta (30 minutes from Vancouver) for a little over 200,000.00 The same size place would cost you double that EASILY in downtown areas like Yaletown, Gastown, Waterfront, and Kits.

Vancouver is super pet friendly, even the homeless have dogs and cats. Vancouver Canucks fans are the best hockey fans around. I've even converted 2 Calgarians to Vancouverite cheering.

The cops here don't like the stance dance but the stance lifestyle is still pretty big here.

The night life is awesome in Vancouver. Every weekend they shut down granville street to cars so you can barhop with ease AND so they can block off the streets easier if there is a gang related "incident" at any club or bar on the main strip. But for the most part it just means you are in the middle of a street party every weekend if you head down Granville.

The shopping is good. AND we have one of the few Lamborghini Reventon's in town. so there's always that to look forward to. Snowboarding is awesome here. We have 3 local mountains to choose from as well as Whistler and Mt.Baker are only a few hours away. In the summer they turn Whistler into a mountian biking village so if you're more into downhill mountain biking there's that.

You look like you will fit right in with your skinny jeans and oversized baseball cap! Come over to the best coast! You will definitely love Main st. that's where all the people ride their fixies and go to cafes to watch local artists sing songs and look at paintings.

Also, the sushi here is the bomb.
                      Holy fuck. I read and then re-read every bit of that. It's nice to see someone who has total pride and love for their city. You make a really compelling case for the west coast option. Forgive me for being a bit ignorant, but i thought since the 80's vancouver was still dealing with the problem of it's drug addicted and homeless population? Has that changed a bit since the 2010 olympics?

I love sushi AND reventons! As far as outdoor activities go, my girl loves to surf (and watch point break) know anything about the potential for that there? what about local tracks/strips/ car meets? where i live now there are none of those things at all.

I can't say i'm into fixies but i get what you're driving at. At least i know these people have good fashion sense haha.

Comment

Toronto is my favorite city ever, but I hear Vancouver is one of the coolest cities ever (I haven't been there yet, intend to this summer).
                        - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Originally posted by nykwhy2 View Post
                          <3
                          not winnipeg.
                          Originally posted by benz88 View Post
                          come to winnipeg. haha
                          Originally posted by kartikeya View Post
                          Sioux Lookout.
                          some serious Winnipeg controversy going on here! i've honnestly never been. what's it like?

we make bajillions by selling antifreeze and undercoating to out-of-towners

Originally posted by Kielan View Post
                          Toronto is my favorite city ever, but I hear Vancouver is one of the coolest cities ever (I haven't been there yet, intend to this summer).
                          Yeah, i'd like to hear from some torontonians about how they feel about their city. I used to fly up every once in awhile for the past two years.

I saw a girl try to climb over an icy railing and face plant in the middle of the street. I think that's when i knew toronto had something i wanted hahah

Comment

Just stopping by to say...

your girlfriend is tiny and cute as a button.

Comment

Originally posted by padraigmk3 View Post
                              some serious Winnipeg controversy going on here! i've honnestly never been. what's it like?
                              Honestly, not that bad. Obviously it's a region with extreme temperatures, and our infrastructure is getting more retarded instead of less retarded, and there isn't much to do compared to any major city.

But on the bright side, we have tons of beautiful greenspace within the city, which I hear is unusual. OK jobs are plentiful, you can get pretty much anywhere in the city quickly compared to bigger cities, even with lack of efficiency. And there is no lack of fun stuff you can do if you get creative. Housing is cheap.

I don't plan on leaving, it's good enough for me. I don't think I'd do well in a metropolis like Toronto of Vancouver.. I like renting a small house with a big yard 10 minutes away from downtown.

Comment

Working...
                              X