Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73

Thread: Advice: Moving to a new province and city in Canada

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    822

    Default Advice: Moving to a new province and city in Canada

    Hey everyone. I'm leaving my current place and moving this year. I need a change of scenery and I wanted to hear everyone's opinion on what would be some good options.

    I love Toronto, and know a few people there, but Vancouver BC is also somewhere I've always wanted to spend some time.

    I do consulting for large international companies right now to pay the bills, but my university degree is in fine arts (photography, design, illustration, installation, conceptual art). I'd like to have a 9-5, 7 day work week like i do now although the economy is still wallowing in its slow recovery. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. I don't party or go to da cluuuuub. I like live music, the arts, cars (duh).

    What is your city and province like? friendly people? affordable upscale housing? pet friendly? job market? is it a city center or not? do you think i'd like it? (i'd probably like it )

    I'm trying to drag my girlfriend with me. I can't lose a chick that welds, loves videogames AND cars.

    Any and all advice or input is VERY welcome.

    Thanks in advance guys


    -Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    303

    Default

    <3
    not winnipeg.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Deuce Oh Four
    Posts
    3,700

    Default

    come to winnipeg. haha

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    OC
    Posts
    2,533

    Default

    This thread gives me shivers.. seriously, I have no idea how you guys live in Canada / Nova ... bbbrrrrrrrrr. Go somewhere warm man!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Deuce Oh Four
    Posts
    3,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    This thread gives me shivers.. seriously, I have no idea how you guys live in Canada / Nova ... bbbrrrrrrrrr. Go somewhere warm man!
    its hot as hell here in the summer. dont worry haha.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Vancouver is beautiful. Toronto's core is exploding too. Both cities have wicked skylines. Lived briefly in both. Both very expensive. Ottawa has a beautiful core also.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    This thread gives me shivers.. seriously, I have no idea how you guys live in Canada / Nova ... bbbrrrrrrrrr. Go somewhere warm man!
    Haha BC is pretty mild as far as Canadian weather goes if you don't mind rain.

    Two things for the OP.
    1. Don't base your life around a woman.
    2. Vice Guide to Vancouver.
    http://www.viceland.com/int/vancouve...php?country=us

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renngolf View Post

    Two things for the OP.
    1. Don't base your life around a woman.
    i was going to say the opposite. good woman is much more important than great city.
    025garage


  9. Default

    Been living in BC my whole life.

    Grew up in Richmond 10 minutes from Vancouver. Spent my post secondary in Downtown Vancouver. I love my city to death. Everywhere I've travelled has been awesome, but the second I touch down in Vancouver, I fall back in love with the city I grew up in. The city is clean but expensive. Everything costs more here. I bought a 650 sqft condo in Delta (30 minutes from Vancouver) for a little over 200,000.00 The same size place would cost you double that EASILY in downtown areas like Yaletown, Gastown, Waterfront, and Kits.

    Vancouver is super pet friendly, even the homeless have dogs and cats. Vancouver Canucks fans are the best hockey fans around. I've even converted 2 Calgarians to Vancouverite cheering.

    The cops here don't like the stance dance but the stance lifestyle is still pretty big here.

    The night life is awesome in Vancouver. Every weekend they shut down granville street to cars so you can barhop with ease AND so they can block off the streets easier if there is a gang related "incident" at any club or bar on the main strip. But for the most part it just means you are in the middle of a street party every weekend if you head down Granville.

    The shopping is good. AND we have one of the few Lamborghini Reventon's in town. so there's always that to look forward to. Snowboarding is awesome here. We have 3 local mountains to choose from as well as Whistler and Mt.Baker are only a few hours away. In the summer they turn Whistler into a mountian biking village so if you're more into downhill mountain biking there's that.

    You look like you will fit right in with your skinny jeans and oversized baseball cap! Come over to the best coast! You will definitely love Main st. that's where all the people ride their fixies and go to cafes to watch local artists sing songs and look at paintings.

    Also, the sushi here is the bomb.
    United we stance?

  10. #10
    kartikeya Guest

    Default

    Sioux Lookout.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LronSigh View Post
    Vancouver is beautiful. Toronto's core is exploding too. Both cities have wicked skylines. Lived briefly in both. Both very expensive. Ottawa has a beautiful core also.
    That's helpful then that you've been to both. what didn't you like about both places?

    Quote Originally Posted by renngolf View Post
    Haha BC is pretty mild as far as Canadian weather goes if you don't mind rain.

    Two things for the OP.
    1. Don't base your life around a woman.
    2. Vice Guide to Vancouver.
    http://www.viceland.com/int/vancouve...php?country=us

    Hahaha i can agree with number 1. Me agreeing with that however is kind of a case of "do as i say, not as i do". I've been burnt before, so i wouldn't say i'm actively basing my life around her. It just fits. Plus she can beat me at Dr.Mario on NES. Thats some marriage level shit right there.

    Quote Originally Posted by dork View Post
    Been living in BC my whole life.

    Grew up in Richmond 10 minutes from Vancouver. Spent my post secondary in Downtown Vancouver. I love my city to death. Everywhere I've travelled has been awesome, but the second I touch down in Vancouver, I fall back in love with the city I grew up in. The city is clean but expensive. Everything costs more here. I bought a 650 sqft condo in Delta (30 minutes from Vancouver) for a little over 200,000.00 The same size place would cost you double that EASILY in downtown areas like Yaletown, Gastown, Waterfront, and Kits.

    Vancouver is super pet friendly, even the homeless have dogs and cats. Vancouver Canucks fans are the best hockey fans around. I've even converted 2 Calgarians to Vancouverite cheering.

    The cops here don't like the stance dance but the stance lifestyle is still pretty big here.

    The night life is awesome in Vancouver. Every weekend they shut down granville street to cars so you can barhop with ease AND so they can block off the streets easier if there is a gang related "incident" at any club or bar on the main strip. But for the most part it just means you are in the middle of a street party every weekend if you head down Granville.

    The shopping is good. AND we have one of the few Lamborghini Reventon's in town. so there's always that to look forward to. Snowboarding is awesome here. We have 3 local mountains to choose from as well as Whistler and Mt.Baker are only a few hours away. In the summer they turn Whistler into a mountian biking village so if you're more into downhill mountain biking there's that.

    You look like you will fit right in with your skinny jeans and oversized baseball cap! Come over to the best coast! You will definitely love Main st. that's where all the people ride their fixies and go to cafes to watch local artists sing songs and look at paintings.

    Also, the sushi here is the bomb.
    Holy fuck. I read and then re-read every bit of that. It's nice to see someone who has total pride and love for their city. You make a really compelling case for the west coast option. Forgive me for being a bit ignorant, but i thought since the 80's vancouver was still dealing with the problem of it's drug addicted and homeless population? Has that changed a bit since the 2010 olympics?

    I love sushi AND reventons! As far as outdoor activities go, my girl loves to surf (and watch point break) know anything about the potential for that there? what about local tracks/strips/ car meets? where i live now there are none of those things at all.


    I can't say i'm into fixies but i get what you're driving at. At least i know these people have good fashion sense haha.

    -Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    40,592

    Default

    Toronto is my favorite city ever, but I hear Vancouver is one of the coolest cities ever (I haven't been there yet, intend to this summer).
    - Kielan (Key-lin)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nykwhy2 View Post
    <3
    not winnipeg.
    Quote Originally Posted by benz88 View Post
    come to winnipeg. haha
    Quote Originally Posted by kartikeya View Post
    Sioux Lookout.
    some serious Winnipeg controversy going on here! i've honnestly never been. what's it like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    This thread gives me shivers.. seriously, I have no idea how you guys live in Canada / Nova ... bbbrrrrrrrrr. Go somewhere warm man!
    we make bajillions by selling antifreeze and undercoating to out-of-towners

    Quote Originally Posted by Kielan View Post
    Toronto is my favorite city ever, but I hear Vancouver is one of the coolest cities ever (I haven't been there yet, intend to this summer).
    Yeah, i'd like to hear from some torontonians about how they feel about their city. I used to fly up every once in awhile for the past two years.

    I saw a girl try to climb over an icy railing and face plant in the middle of the street. I think that's when i knew toronto had something i wanted hahah

    -Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

  14. #14

    Default

    Just stopping by to say...

    your girlfriend is tiny and cute as a button.


  15. #15
    kartikeya Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by padraigmk3 View Post
    some serious Winnipeg controversy going on here! i've honnestly never been. what's it like?
    Honestly, not that bad. Obviously it's a region with extreme temperatures, and our infrastructure is getting more retarded instead of less retarded, and there isn't much to do compared to any major city.

    But on the bright side, we have tons of beautiful greenspace within the city, which I hear is unusual. OK jobs are plentiful, you can get pretty much anywhere in the city quickly compared to bigger cities, even with lack of efficiency. And there is no lack of fun stuff you can do if you get creative. Housing is cheap.

    I don't plan on leaving, it's good enough for me. I don't think I'd do well in a metropolis like Toronto of Vancouver.. I like renting a small house with a big yard 10 minutes away from downtown.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    303

    Default

    ye. party at your house.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kartikeya View Post
    Honestly, not that bad. Obviously it's a region with extreme temperatures, and our infrastructure is getting more retarded instead of less retarded, and there isn't much to do compared to any major city.

    But on the bright side, we have tons of beautiful greenspace within the city, which I hear is unusual. OK jobs are plentiful, you can get pretty much anywhere in the city quickly compared to bigger cities, even with lack of efficiency. And there is no lack of fun stuff you can do if you get creative. Housing is cheap.

    I don't plan on leaving, it's good enough for me. I don't think I'd do well in a metropolis like Toronto of Vancouver.. I like renting a small house with a big yard 10 minutes away from downtown.
    Thats rotten about the city planning blowing it, but it sounds like you've found a place that fits you well. that's what i'm looking for right now.

    I'm envious of you having a house yard and (i'm guessing) a garage to work in.



    I live downtown right now and 1) parking indoors does not exist 2) my apartment does not allow dogs 3) my neighbors are dorks 4) i live above four bars on a street FULL of bars, and i am constantly sidestepping absolutely wasted, roided out 19 year olds who want to tell me about their cousins "turbo neon"

    Shit isn't ideal. the actual apartment i have is beautiful though. it's a shame.

    Quote Originally Posted by NickBroderick View Post
    Just stopping by to say...

    your girlfriend is tiny and cute as a button.

    Thanks Nick! I'll tell her that. She's so small and thin and beautiful, and i look like this tall pale ghoul compared to her haha


    Quote Originally Posted by nykwhy2 View Post
    ye. party at your house.
    You bring the


    I'll bring the
    Last edited by padraigmk3; 01-18-2011 at 10:42 PM.

    -Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Deuce Oh Four
    Posts
    3,700

    Default

    dude. sounds like winnipegs for you if you want sprinkle ice cream and goldenEye matches

  19. #19

    Default

    I've only been to Whistler and Vancouver but they are two of my favourite places in the world. Would highly recommend them. I didn't read all the posts but saw your comment on the drugs/bums, they weren't too bad when I was there last year (vancouver). Still around but they're not in your face etc, there are streets where they hang out in groups and it's obvious they're taking drugs etc and there's hookers there too but honestly it wasn't a problem. The nicer areas were bum/hooker/drug free.

    Roads in both places seemed good although I didn't drive a lowered car there, I didn't see hardly any potholes or whatever.

    Also snow in winter, hot in summer = win win. So much sports going on in Whistler all year round but the only thing is accomodation is difficult to find. Not so hard in Vancouver.

    Ps more pics of the girl! She is damn hot, I can see why you aren't willing to give her up. Good luck!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benz88 View Post
    dude. sounds like winnipegs for you if you want sprinkle ice cream and goldenEye matches
    I think so. it'd be nice to go for a vacation and see what it's like there.
    If you use oddjob though... we can't be friends.

    If i got anywhere near your lincoln though... i know i'd need to be wearing adult diapers.
    Need to see new photos of that in the spring.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    I've only been to Whistler and Vancouver but they are two of my favourite places in the world. Would highly recommend them. I didn't read all the posts but saw your comment on the drugs/bums, they weren't too bad when I was there last year (vancouver). Still around but they're not in your face etc, there are streets where they hang out in groups and it's obvious they're taking drugs etc and there's hookers there too but honestly it wasn't a problem. The nicer areas were bum/hooker/drug free.

    Roads in both places seemed good although I didn't drive a lowered car there, I didn't see hardly any potholes or whatever.

    Also snow in winter, hot in summer = win win. So much sports going on in Whistler all year round but the only thing is accomodation is difficult to find. Not so hard in Vancouver.

    Ps more pics of the girl! She is damn hot, I can see why you aren't willing to give her up. Good luck!

    Good to know, thanks for clearing the homeless population issue up a bit. I'm really curious what the roads/traffic are like there, and what the bike laws are. I **** wearing a helmet. I'm really leaning towards Van city after all this.

    haha and no more pictures of my girlfriend. I feel like a creep just putting that one picture up!

    -Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by padraigmk3 View Post

    Good to know, thanks for clearing the homeless population issue up a bit. I'm really curious what the roads/traffic are like there, and what the bike laws are. I **** wearing a helmet. I'm really leaning towards Van city after all this.

    haha and no more pictures of my girlfriend. I feel like a creep just putting that one picture up!

    Yeah I felt a bit creepish writing it But seriously...

    Bike laws as in push or motor bikes? We rode pushies for a few months without helmets and didnt have problems, not sure what the actual law is though

  22. #22
    kartikeya Guest

    Default

    I'm fairly certain that nowhere in Canada is wearing a helmet required for bicycles, or not required for motorcycles/scooters.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Capital region, Canada
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Yeah, ON is in a horrid economic state and has been well before the recession and even worse after it.

    VAN, is BEAUTIFUL! I spent two weeks there & Whistler <- needs moar money to live there though.

    But yeah, i told myself if i was to move somewhere else in canada it'd be vancouver. I love it - such a nice change of scenery.

    Worst comes to worst you can always come back to Toronto.

    Have you thought about MTL? I know it may not be as much of a change as VAN could be, but another closer option if need be.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    Yeah I felt a bit creepish writing it But seriously...

    Bike laws as in push or motor bikes? We rode pushies for a few months without helmets and didnt have problems, not sure what the actual law is though
    Yeah, just pedal bikes.

    Province of British Columbia Motor Vehicle Act
    Bicycle Safety Helmetshelemt

    184

    1.

    A person commits an offence if that person operates or rides as a passenger on a cycle on a highway and is not properly wearing a bicycle safety helmet that
    1. is designated as an approved bicycle safety helmet under subsection (4) (a), or
    2. meets the standards and specifications prescribed under subsection (4) (b).
    2.

    A parent or guardian of a person under the age of 16 years commits an offence if the parent or guardian authorizes or knowingly permits the person to operate or ride as a passenger on a cycle on a highway if that person is not properly wearing a bicycle safety helmet that
    1. is designated as an approved bicycle safety helmet under subsection (4) (a), or
    2. meets the standards and specifications prescribed under subsection (4) (b).
    3. A person who is convicted of an offence under subsection (1) or (2) is liable to a fine of not more than $100.




    Fuck.
    At least it's not like here, where you pay a minimum of $140 if you're even sitting on your bike not wearing a helmet.

    -Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kartikeya View Post
    I'm fairly certain that nowhere in Canada is wearing a helmet required for bicycles, or not required for motorcycles/scooters.
    I wish that were true but it's required in Nova Scotia

    British Columbia, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia all passed legislation mandating either all-age or under-18 helmet use in the period 1995 to 1997. In November 2001, Alberta passed a private member's bill that makes helmets mandatory for cyclists under 18 years old, and an all-age mandatory helmet law was introduced on Prince Edward Island in 2003.
    - that's what i found.

    Quote Originally Posted by 01lexpl View Post
    Yeah, ON is in a horrid economic state and has been well before the recession and even worse after it.

    VAN, is BEAUTIFUL! I spent two weeks there & Whistler <- needs moar money to live there though.

    But yeah, i told myself if i was to move somewhere else in canada it'd be vancouver. I love it - such a nice change of scenery.

    Worst comes to worst you can always come back to Toronto.

    Have you thought about MTL? I know it may not be as much of a change as VAN could be, but another closer option if need be.
    I've thought about MTL before, having gone a few times. It's got a lot of things happening for it, and i have some close friends there, but the language issue for me and general anti-anglo attitude really bums me out. i know the english speaking pop. far outweighs the Quebecois but even so. i just get the feeling that i'm not welcome and that i wouldn't be happy there.


    I know Ontario's economy got DP'd, which worries me with getting a job in the arts/ creative sector. i know i'm going to spend some time in Toronnuh, i just don't know if it should be now.

    Also, my ex is from toronto, and she suuuuuucks.

    you guys can have all the pictures of her you want.
    good riddance.

    -Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •