1jz or 7mgte cressida swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by padraigmk3 View Post
    The 7MGTE will make 300 hp/tq at 18lbs boost reliably all day. As far as BHG goes, toyota's head bolt torque specs were wrong from the factory, and refused to acknowledge this. That's why the 7M has such a bad rap. Get a good aftermarket HG, arp bolts and then re-torque the bolts to 75 foot-lbs.

With that being said, the 1J would probably be more fun. I can't argue with more power. Who can?

Are you committed to going NA or turbo?
    i knew about the 7m head bolt thing, and if i go 1jz/2jz it will be turbo

speaking of N/A, do you know of anybody that makes a swap kit (or at least mounts) for a GM LS motor or any other american v8?

Comment

Originally posted by 2jzcress View Post
      7m's are fukin junk jz all the way. by the car, save some money , gather parts,join jzxproject ck out my build thread on jzxproject under fuckin showoffs "project fresshida" ps i paid 200$ for my car on craigslist with a blown head gasket
      ive seen your car before haha

thats actually the car that made me want to do this tbh

Comment

I'm looking to do 7MGTE, if you get a metal headgasket and torque it 15-20lbs over spec it should be safe, but I wouldn't go over 75lbs IMO, also it's a simple swap 2-3 wire difference, and you can use MX83 x-member and just weld in 10mm ID washers to the x-member cause x83 is 12mm through bolts. I live in AZ and 7M's are dime a dozen here, same with the CT26's, as far as longer lasting, if you're looking to do serious track events with your car, might as well opt out the spare cash for 1JZ, just make sure you get the correct motor the oil pans are different, make sure it's a motor out of a chaser.

Good luck with your swap, hope it goes well whatever route you choose to do.

edit: you have a x83 ignore my x73 rabbling
        Last edited by SedanFromJapan; 01-14-2011, 12:28 AM.
        PM me for Apexi products and Intec Racing knuckles

Comment

1j > *
          Originally posted by anth
          Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by SedanFromJapan View Post
            I'm looking to do 7MGTE, if you get a metal headgasket and torque it 15-20lbs over spec it should be safe, but I wouldn't go over 75lbs IMO, also it's a simple swap 2-3 wire difference, and you can use MX83 x-member and just weld in 10mm ID washers to the x-member cause x83 is 12mm through bolts. I live in AZ and 7M's are dime a dozen here, same with the CT26's, as far as longer lasting, if you're looking to do serious track events with your car, might as well opt out the spare cash for 1JZ, just make sure you get the correct motor the oil pans are different, make sure it's a motor out of a chaser.

Good luck with your swap, hope it goes well whatever route you choose to do.

edit: you have a x83 ignore my x73 rabbling
            I wouldn't go over 75 either, especially on the stock bolts. You need to get ARP's and an HKS headgasket if you're going to push real power and not worry about it.

As far as "7m's are fukin junk " being some people's outlook, I think that's about as intelligent and informed as saying that 1J's are junk, or 2J's are junk.

It's just a matter of the correct power plant for the application that offers an acceptable compromise between budget, power, durability and ease of install.

-Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

Comment

I wouldn't go over 75 either, especially on the stock bolts. You need to get ARP's and an HKS headgasket if you're going to push real power and not worry about it.

As far as "7m's are fukin junk " being some people's outlook, I think that's about as intelligent and informed as saying that 1J's are junk, or 2J's are junk.

It's just a matter of the correct power plant for the application that offers an acceptable compromise between budget, power, durability and ease of install.
              Very true forgot to mention ARP head studs, a lil mandatory if you want to make 350wHp and not buy headgaskets by the wholesale lolol, any motor is good if you build it right and take your time to read about them and learn their capabilities, my teamate is running a RB20 with all OEM goodies and metal headgasket no problem, anyways back on topic! 7MGTE is a great alternate to the 1JZ, both are capable of good power, and let's kick the logistics here people, Toyota's are tanks

+1 for someone not bad mouthing budget builds, not all of us can opt out cash for JZ motors.

btw not to thread jack anyone deal with the 1GGTE? kinda wanna go for he authentic GX71 expierence!
              PM me for Apexi products and Intec Racing knuckles

Comment

can you turbo the stock 7mge and make decent power? say 300-350rwhp? or are the bottom ends in the non-turbo versions weaker?

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss View Post
                  can you turbo the stock 7mge and make decent power? say 300-350rwhp? or are the bottom ends in the non-turbo versions weaker?
                  1) yes
                  2) no. cam profile and piston shape are the most important differences.
                  3) http://www.supraforums.com/forum/arc...p/t-97101.html
                  http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...r-build-thread

-Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

Comment

1uz?

Comment

dude on club lexus is doin 1uz in his... might get in touch with him...
                      shits sick. i digg. (will remove upon owners request)

LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) - Post up Recent pixs of YOUR car (LS400s) - Heres how my car looks like RITE NOW...test fitted my brother in-laws MRR hr2 on my car....plus i spraycan painted my sides,backs and got a hitch so i can tow my stuff to FL.. bros rims hr2s...

AS QUOTED FROM CLUB LEXUS
                      Received an email from this forum to post up a recent pic of my LS. Nothing has changed ( I may have posted this in the past).

All stock except the Tanabe springs andEXE Crowns. Still running strong and I love the 1uz. I really what to run it hard but I wouldn't dare beat up on my LS.

Sooooooo.... My Cressida blew it's head gasket a week before X-mas.

On New Years Eve, I decided to build it the way Toyota should have....

Cant wait for some full throttle action with the 1UZ
                      END QUOTE

Yellow Frame Club
                      member 01

Comment

a 1uz swap would be very badass haha

Comment

I had seriously considered a 7MGTE cressida swap, it's a bolt-in affair considering that they come with 7MGE's.

Also if you do the 7M swap, immediately swap the head gasket for the thickest one you can afford. These motors can boost just as well as any JZ motor, and they do pretty good considering the price!

Another thing worth considering if a VG30 swap into a Cressida, it's a pretty large engine bay and you would get more displacement at around the same cost as doing a 7MGTE swap, just a lot of custom fabrication. (I would do a VG30E+T to keep costs at a minimum)

Comment

as a toyota tech 7m's can make a tremendous amount of power as long as you can hold it together the shop im at we built one with more than 1000 hp but if your going tranny go for the 6 speed 2jz tranny they are way stronger than the five speed and every 5 speed ive owned blew up after 400 ft lbs of torque but any way you go you can get a tremendous amount of power you just have to find the right parts

oh the 1uz is a great motor but one thing is there is little to know aftermarket for it when it comes to big power thats why a lot swap for something else
                            Last edited by stein92; 03-18-2011, 04:27 PM.
                            e46 touring and love it!

Comment

first of all. the 7m-ge actually came in the cressida's. so swaping to a r-154 7m-gte would be the easier of the 2 since the mounts and such are available through www.driftmotion.com

second of all. the 7m has more displacement and can be more stout than a 1jz.

the thing you need to decide is

do you want to have twins? or single? do you want to rev higher? do you want more displacement?
                              do you want to perform more wiring work? how much money do you have? do you want coil on plug or coil pack ignition. how much torque do you want vs hp.

anwser those questions^^ and ill give you more info. i am very familiar with both motors since i have owned and worked on both.

7m is the cheaper easier route. and yes from the factory the 7m had bad machining on the head so you will need resurface and get a new head gasket.

hope fully my post helps more than some of these other ignorant posts.
                              Creator of Power, Destroyer of the Average.

89 JZa70 SupraThe Silver bullet.. 850hp or BuST!<-- CLick me.. 2JZ-gte Swapped Billet 7175 ,ID2000's, Twin Disk ORC, JE Pistons, Eagle Rods, CF driveshaft, Volks TE37's, Chasebays Engine Harness, Stance GR+, More..
                              Check Out Our Facebook Page.. http://www.facebook.com/TruePerformance

Comment

1jz and you wont regret it

Comment

Working...
                                X