Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wheel spacers. huge ones. i really need advice here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by projektzwo View Post
    when we talk about 20-30mm spacers, is the best choice the BOLT-ON ones? Which are safer?
    totally the bolt on

Comment

Originally posted by ff_drift_lol View Post
      no no no guys, i am saying i can only order up to a specific size before they are non returnable and non refundable. i would like to get them a tad smaller than i measured and then add 5mm or so spacers to them for the option of going wider if i need to. but is adding a spacer to an already existing adapter a dangerous thing to do?
      You can always have them welded together

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Your blast pipes look stupid.

Comment

haha, this is true.

Comment

Originally posted by ff_drift_lol View Post
          vette wheels don't need to be, they have those conical lug nuts. the hub bore on my cobalt will be centric. i'm glad you pointed that out, most people would have never known.
          Conical seat lugnuts are not a substitute for hubcentric mounting. They do center the wheel, but they don't take any weight off the lugs.

Given the option, hubcentric spacers are always better, and giving them a flange for hubcentric wheels to sit on is even better. If I could do it over again, when I ordered my spacers I would have ordered them to be milled hubcentric to a common factory hub size so I could use hub centering rings to mount wheels.

Comment

yeah idk the guy at adaptitusa.com said i wont need them hubcentric and they dont make that bolt pattern like that for that reason. i see what u mean by stress factors but whatever theyre grade 8 studs

Comment

im just tryin to figure out if it's safe to put a spacer on top of an adapter!

Comment

anyone? theyre grade 8 studs.

Comment

No, it is not particularly safe to do so. If you would like the two pieces welded together and blended to make one safe piece, let me know.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Your blast pipes look stupid.

Comment

If you're talking ab a 5mm spacer it's not a huge deal. But if you are talking a 20 or 25mm spacer then I would highly recommend reconsidering. Welding is another option but why not just order the size you need in the first place?

Comment

Its just hard with these damn cobalt's cuz not many ppl do it so him being the 1st its hard to know, Trial and error i guess....

Comment

Originally posted by cardoza View Post
                        but why not just order the size you need in the first place?
                        Of course that's the best thing to do but it's not that easy.

It's hard to know exactly how much mm he will need.

If the adapter/spacer comes up a bit short he will have to add another spacer on top of that which i don't think he wants to do.

And those adapters/spacers cannot be returned since they are custom ordered.

Comment

you're probably going to go through a lot of bearings if you're total offset ends up being grotesquely negative. it isn't necessarily a deal breaker, you'd just have to be willing to replace them more often

-Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

Comment

Spacers on top of adapters is a pretty bad idea...

Sure it could end up being harmless in a year of driving around. Or... you could go flying off a bridge the first bad pothole you hit.

I need to buy adapters for my e30 and I'm going through the same issue - high offset corvette wheels. Just do your homework and calculations the same way anyone else does, should end up with the right number if you do it right. I'm actually scared to death of running 25-30mm bolt on adapters by themselves.
                            4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

Your bearings will be pooched in weeks.

Comment

order the adapter and some spacers, bolt it up until you find what you like. Measure it... order the correct size adapter and then sell off the ones you bought.
                                E53 4.4 Sterling Gray Metallic
                                E36 M3 Mugello rot
                                GEN2 TUNDRA CM
                                https://instagram.com/carlmichaeljohnson/

Comment

Working...
                                X