SRS airbags suck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRS airbags suck.

Disclaimer: Riding in pavels car can cause bodily harm.

So after working SEMA for a week I figured i'd end it all by hitting the VIP festival in SD on sunday. I didn't have a way of getting to my car in time and didn't really feel like driving so I flew into San Jose on Friday night and had Pavel pick me up. The journey was an interesting one.

We got down to San Diego at 2 in the morning because Pavel miscalculated our arrival time and our hotel tried to charge us an extra $100 to check in early. We chose to drive around from 12 until noon and use the $100 for gas and beer. We went from oceanside all the way down to the Mexico border, rolled around San Diego, rolled over to that fancy ass place with all the cops (you have to cross a bridge to get there), and then started heading back to oceanside around 6AM. We ended up deciding to crash in the car like peasants, parked in the surfer parking lot of some beach in oceanside to sleep (No H), and then migrated to our hotel rooms at 12 when we were allowed in.

Right before we get off our exit shit got real. I was half sleeping and talking to Pavel when something hit me in the head. I look up and see a deployed airbag. I said "did your airbag just deploy" and immediately after I got nailed in my side with the door bag. Apparently if you drive an e39 as low as pavels long enough you fuck up the impact sensors under the car and bags explode with no warning.

My right side got burned a little and my ribs still hurt but all in all it made for great laughs. (I disconnected the passenger side dashboard bag right after to avoid getting nailed in the face next).

The festival was fun. It was great kicking it with James from VIPdOut, Josh, John from VSC, meeting Oscar (pancakes), Charles, the kid from here with the white c-class, OCKlasse*sp* with the hydrod c-class, and many other cool west coasters. I'll let the true photographers post about that. Before Pavel dropped me off in Pismo we cruised up to Cal Poly and snapped some pics in the parking garage. I had no tripod and still rock a Sony 828 but it was cool to snap an east coast car with a west coast one (I got put to shame).

The bags:

Real Bags:
    Last edited by 525iT_Feen; 11-09-2010, 03:14 AM.

his car is so tiiiiiiight.
    -Instagram@jdjurhuus
    Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

i lawled with your story

and a good way to spend 100$
      Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Ah shit Olek why didnt you let me know you were coming to SD!

hope your adventure was fun, haha!

GC coils are still treatin me well (thank you very much). I gotta shoot you over some pics with the new vette wheels mounted!!

"Auto Detailing by Jake," servicing the Southern California auto enthusiast community.

Detailing Dough --> College dues. Which leaves $____ for e36. D'oh.

Comment

ha ha that story made me LOL and at the same time wonder if this happens in other low cars with airbags...
          Drinking Enthusiast with a Car Problem

Comment

Hahaha would've paid money to see this sequence of events unfold.
            Glad to hear your ok, Probably alot of guys driving around unaware that this could happen .

1987 BMW e28 535i
            "Respect your elders"

Comment

I laughed hard. During class^^

Happened once to my father. He got an Opel Omega B Caravan and the driver airbag exploded while the car was parked. No one ever found out why this happened. xD
              Last edited by K.rischan; 11-09-2010, 08:32 AM.
              Originally posted by Oxer
              I dont know why, but I love your car.. Its OEM cleanness makes me happy in the genitals.

Comment

holy shit dude, thats intense!
                Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

That sucks, those aren't cheap to replace. My friend Swoops actually blew his passenger side curtain and seat airbags after smashing into a steel plate outside the Triboro bridge a few weeks ago. 2 blown airbags, a destroyed oil pan, oil pump, PS pump, and subframe later, the car is on the road again haha

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
                  Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

Originally posted by aar0n. View Post
                    That sucks, those aren't cheap to replace. My friend Swoops actually blew his passenger side curtain and seat airbags after smashing into a steel plate outside the Triboro bridge a few weeks ago. 2 blown airbags, a destroyed oil pan, oil pump, PS pump, and subframe later, the car is on the road again haha
                    Simple solution, don't replace them. I removed the airbag module and the passenger airbag from my car for this exact reason. Just waiting on a new steering wheel so i can get rid of that airbag too.

Comment

Funny story. Both cars are nice. I NEED an E38 on 95's.

Comment

Sooo dopeeeee

Comment

"The Only Bags I Inflate Are SRS"

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Static ftw! Hahahaha....

Neeko, make that a sticker... would be beyond epic.
                            Originally posted by anth
                            Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

you got 'teabagged' in your sleep?
                              Originally posted by Kielan
                              I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X