This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preload?

So I am getting new coils this winter, and I keep hearing about features like "lower your car with out adjusting preload", or just hearing preload. Can someone explain what preload is to me, as if you were talking to a 8 year old?

Thanks.
    - Kielan (Key-lin)

Preload is how much load is on the spring before the weight of the car is on the spring.

If you look in this picture, there is the mount on top where it mounts to the strut tower, the spring, the perch the spring sits on, and then a lock ring for the spring perch. You can either load the spring by tightening the bottom perch (preload) or loosen it up (not sure why), but I am pretty sure that is what they are talking about with preload.

I too have found a set of coilovers for my car, and it says when you get them to tighten the bottom perch so there is just enough load that it is tough to turn. And that should be the only time you really have to adjust it.

I've done the best I can at explaining this.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

there are a few reasons to preload. reason why i preloaded mine a lot more is to have less wheel travel. its an advantage for stance cars to have more preload. but you have to compensate with how far you can go with your ride height.

Comment

Well I knew it was a good thing, but I'm not entirely sure I understand it.

So basically you "load" (essential compress) the spring before you put the weight of the car on it, so it has less travel so you can go lower. Basically it allows you to go lower with out spinning down the perches as much?
        - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

well you mess with the preload when the suspension is on the car. it's easier that way. you have your car helping you out by holding the suspension for you, instead of having your friend struggle. haha. anyways, preloading the springs will also raise your car. the more it is compressed the more it pushes your car up. therefore, you have to shorten your whole assembly by screwing up the bottom perch. doing this will also stiffen your suspension as you manually increase the rates of the springs by compressing it.

on the other hand, you see some people lowering their car by less preload (decompressing the springs) .which is bad for the strut, and is also the non recommended way. it makes the ride bouncy and puts stress onto the struts as the suspension sags with less preload. and more wheel travel.

i can't really explain myself on the keyboard, but someone please chime in and explain it better than me? haha

Comment

Quick someone find a video!
            - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

okay here's a visual, before i increased my preload. when i would jack my car up, the wheel gap increases.

now that i have more preload, when i jack my car up, it's still tucking the tire. haha idk...

Comment

That's what I thought it did haha, awesome.

Found this video of the same coils I'm getting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFeFF...layer_embedded
                - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Originally posted by FindingNimo View Post
                  well you mess with the preload when the suspension is on the car. it's easier that way. you have your car helping you out by holding the suspension for you, instead of having your friend struggle. haha. anyways, preloading the springs will also raise your car. the more it is compressed the more it pushes your car up. therefore, you have to shorten your whole assembly by screwing up the bottom perch. doing this will also stiffen your suspension as you manually increase the rates of the springs by compressing it.

on the other hand, you see some people lowering their car by less preload (decompressing the springs) .which is bad for the strut, and is also the non recommended way. it makes the ride bouncy and puts stress onto the struts as the suspension sags with less preload. and more wheel travel.

i can't really explain myself on the keyboard, but someone please chime in and explain it better than me? haha
                  bingo!

i was on the search for the same topic as well...

btw very nice accord!! where can i find em pix?

Comment

adjust preload also helps with corner balancing...if youre into that...

Comment

Working...
                    X