No announcement yet.

Bringing back an E9.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a huge amount of progress as of late but another small update. We have pretty much buttoned up the headliner and realized that we forgot to locate the holes for the roof handles. So we measured the old headliner and broke out the borescope to be sure, and whew.... crisis averted.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

Up next was install some more chrome bits inside and figure out what goes in this hole. I'm sure its with the rest of the rear door card parts..

The old map light lens didnt look worthy of living on this new headliner so we picked up a NOS lens.

Work continued on the front trim piece of the headliner. "Tools" had to be made to help the glue stick to the forms in this piece.

And the final product.

Comment

We started on the body work a little this weekend. It looks like we might be able to save the nose with out cutting it off. It still needs a lot of hammer and dolly work, and some fill weld but I'm thinking is going to come out okay.

Comment

Really enjoy watching this. Excellent work. Love the real wood and leather.

Comment

We have kinda been in a holding pattern lately. The dash has been delayed since Thanksgiving and I think we have gotten in way over our heads when it comes to body work. The dash is supposed to be in today or tomorrow so I hope we can work on getting the rest of the interior buttoned up this week and then get the car to a body shop the beginning of Feb. The hood latch and mounting hardware was put together incorrectly and had some worn out parts, so we pulled all of it out to sand blast and repaint.

We also found some original wheels, so I went and picked them up Saturday.

I am hoping that I will have some more updates soon. Its kinda crunch time for getting it to the vintage.

Comment

Originally posted by mpower5266 View Post

We also found some original wheels, so I went and picked them up Saturday.

I am hoping that I will have some more updates soon. Its kinda crunch time for getting it to the vintage.
            Nice progress and great find on the original wheels. I also see you hang out on E90 post, Tempted by an E91 #129. Just FYI, if you stand the wheels upright they will fit in the trunk of E91 without folding the seats, the only thing you have to remove is the retractable trunk cover. I fit 4 of my summers with 245-40/R18 tires that way.

Comment

We got the dash back and it looks amazing, I cant wait to get the interior but back together.

Comment

Very small update. My dad found a body guy locally that can work the panels rather than just replacing them so he buttoned the car enough to put it on the trailer.

This morning he loaded it up and dropped it off at the body shop. The guy we are using is retired and did a bunch of hot rods and show cars. He really didnt want to take the job but my dad showed him the car and he thought it was cool and agreed to take it on if we agreed not to give out his info or even tell anyone he did the work. He made it clear that he does not want to start doing body work full time again. My dad talked to him and said they got along well so I am hoping he works out. The plan is to fix the front damage, pull dents, and paint what needs to be painted. Once its back I will try to save what paint I can with a detail. This is the first time its been out of the shop in a long time.

Comment

Got a couple of progress shots from the body shop. He is finessing the dents out of the front nose panel.

I also sanded the factory wheels to prep them for paint.

Comment

The front end damage is coming out nicely.

My dad went over yesterday to pull the door cards and trim. With the door cars off he can work the dents out of the doors. This is basically going to be a full repaint now. We arent going glass out, our body guy seems to think can work around the glass gaskets. Remember the plan was to build a driver, not a show car.

We also got one of the wheels painted. Not the oem silver but it will look good. Again, I hope to swap these for BBS or Weds in the future.

Comment

Cant describe how much i like this project.

Well done to you sir, for respecting the history here.

Cheers

Mike

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

This thing is super clean. Cant wait to see how it looks once its done.

Comment

My dad stopped by the body shop and got a few more photos of the E9. Dents are getting pulled, very little filler is being used, and the reflectors are getting deleted. This is going to be a great car when it is done.

Comment

That nose job came out very good!
                            Indeed, the car will be great once done
                            "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                            Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Last night I started to work on the passenger seat from the E9. I ordered a Colourlock kit to dye some of the bad areas but first I had to clean it with their heavy cleaner. Here is the seat before cleaning.

After giving the seat a good cleaning.

I started to just dye the bad areas on the seat bottom but the leather was faded and it looked pretty bad. Re-cleaned stripping all the dye and decided to do the whole seat laying the dye on a little thicker and it started to look amazing. This is after I finished dying the seat bottoms.

And after I finished a section on the seat back.

And the finished product. I did not dye the headrest, and its a perfect match. I guess the leather "faded" or stained over the years to the darker color. I need to get some leather shield on it tonight or tomorrow but its looking good.

Its not perfect and it still shows a little wear but I like the originality and quality of the oem leather. Now I need to do the rest of the leather.

Comment

Looks like everything is coming together nicely. I really like that caramel color for the interior. On a side note I think those wheels would have looked amazing full polished.
                                E34 build thread link
                                http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...42#post1613542

Follow me on insta
                                e_dirty_4

Comment

Working...
                                X