Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FWD In Time, RWD In Mind. The Trappings Of A Failed Drifter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWD In Time, RWD In Mind. The Trappings Of A Failed Drifter.

Hello again, already... Its ya boi.... the one that just won't stay away. I'll be honest, I didn't think I'd be making another thread so soon. I'm still telling friends and acquaintances I sold the RX7. I'm still finding wires, relays, and gaskets from it, and I already have another car in the garage. When I sold the RX7, I knew my next car wasn't going to be a swap, or anything complicated. It was time to re-discover the joy I have experienced with cars in something simple.

Once again I considered a Corvette (somehow still a bucket-list item), but I wasn't comfortable with the price. I don't know why, but I feel weird buying anything "expensive". Almost every car I've bought was under 5k... In a country of wealth, or..... presumed wealth, I enjoy the cheaper things. I feel less guilty about them. I am more comfortable modifying them, and I worry less about them. I like used, and cheap.

The problem with buying used and cheap, is that it usually means what you're buying is almost worthless. Cheap things are cheaply-built, and cheaply-built things tend to wear out quickly. Usually when people are "done" with a car, it is at the end of its road. Everything rattles, everything is worn. There are missing parts, dented panels, rust, and all of the expected wear and tear of a vehicle that's been used-and-abused for years.

But not always.

In the enormous sea of used car fish, one may easily forget the feeling, of reeling in a well-preserved, cheap car. It is a rare catch, but it is special when... man... I really need to drop the "fish" analogy.

Without further verbal-poo, I present to you, a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse with manual 5-speed transmission, and seating for two.

Ah... where do I start? Bless you, unknown souls, that buy cars brand new, garage them, hardly drive them, forget about them, and then some strange day, through death or other unfortunate events, lose that car to such undesirable characters as myself. This car isn't missing one screw, trim piece, or latch. It's all there. It smells like stale, storage. Like the inside of a hot vacuum-sealed bag in a metal shed or warehouse. It almost smells new; if that "new" were a plastic-shell suitcase in your grandparents closet.

The seller said the car might need a fuel filter and pump, cause it bogs when the gas tank is lower than 1/4. Everything else seems new. Belts and hoses. I bought the car with 62,000 original miles on it.

The suspension is firm and has the numb-thud of healthy 90's absorbers. I can smell the plastic as the sun warms it through the windshield, and the carpet is still fluffy. The exhaust hasn't been touched, and the engine whirrrs like it did coming off the showroom floor in 1996. I am smiling widely as I pull it off the highway into our first gas-station together, for a generous filling of premium petrol. Everything is new and exciting.

Its home now. This is my second Mitsubishi Eclipse, or "DSM" as the enthusiasts tend to call them. You are probably wondering about power, turbos, 4G63's, GSX's, and GST's. I am proud to announce to you, that this car bears none of those options. In fact, this Eclipse has quite literally, the least available options money could buy in 1996. Please enjoy the following specs:

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS
    2.0 N/A 4cyl Engine (140hp 130ft tq)
    5-Speed Manual Transmission
    Weight: 3,550lb
    Front Brakes: Disc
    Rear Brakes: Drum
    A/C and Heat: YES
    Cruise Control: NONE
    Windows and Doors: MANUAL
    Sunroof: NONE
    Interior: Gray/Plastic
    Seats: Manual/Cloth

Didn't want a black car, didn't want a pre-facelift, but it is clean, low-mileage, cheap, and one of my favorites from the 90's. Excited to take my time with this one, and enjoy sharing it with you all.
    Last edited by Miroteknik; 06-07-2019, 12:07 PM.

Yeah man, I knew you would not resist too much without something to write awesomeness about LOL
    Those are weird fuckers, not many eclipses around. Actually a good friend of mine is building one (while complaining about the zero aftermarket support that car has this side of the ocean) and it was the first one I've ever seen.

What's the plan?

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

This thing looks clean! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Static 1986 Guards Red NA Porsche 944
      P O R S C H E P A I ~
      The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Wow this looks so fresh, can't wait to see where this goes!

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
        "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
        SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Oh boy oh boy
          So fresh looking, great find!
          Can't wait to see what you do to it. Also what you do to it FIRST
          "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
          Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Hi

Nice eclipse bro,

have fun
            - VW Polo 6N OpenAir on Exip mesh wheels

- Austin Mini mayfair 1985

Instagram: oscar_polow

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
              Yeah man, I knew you would not resist too much without something to write awesomeness about LOL
              Those are weird fuckers, not many eclipses around. Actually a good friend of mine is building one (while complaining about the zero aftermarket support that car has this side of the ocean) and it was the first one I've ever seen.

What's the plan?
              They are weird, for sure. Especially the RS. Does that stand for Rally Sport? Really Sexy? Really Stupid? Cause usually, an RS is the more powerful model in other car examples. Not in this one. They even went so far as to leave out the Tachometer. I still catch myself starting at that blank void, hearing the RPM's, but not seeing them... only in my mind's eye...

Originally posted by Kenz View Post
              This thing looks clean! Can't wait to see what you do with it.
              It is. It really is. Don't be expecting any power mods....

Originally posted by 19birel View Post
              Wow this looks so fresh, can't wait to see where this goes!
              Wherever it goes, it won't be getting there very fast... Might just post "stock" photos of it forever, idk

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
              Oh boy oh boy
              So fresh looking, great find!
              Can't wait to see what you do to it. Also what you do to it FIRST
              Hey man, no pressure.

Originally posted by O2car View Post
              Hi

Nice eclipse bro,

have fun
              That is exactly what I intend to do. I'm done with the over-ambitious ideas... I just want to chill and have a ricer to tinker with.

Comment

I cannot wait for continuous updates with nearly stock photos and your narration.

Seriously. Wheels and drop will change this drastically.

and overnight parts from Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by saturnstance View Post
                  I cannot wait for continuous updates with nearly stock photos and your narration.

Seriously. Wheels and drop will change this drastically.

and overnight parts from Japan.
                  Ask and you shall receive.

To re-live the past, one must travel back into the land of Microsoft Windows XP

Where the grass is always green, and the hills roll endlessly.

May the wind be forever at your back. Where you'll need it, with only 140hp.

And even though you look like a catfish now, hang in there. It is only middle school.

You may be tall and lanky, to a frightening degree...

But you've got soul, you've got spirit.

The thicc assets your mother gave you will soon fill-out your jeans.

The glow-up is on the horizon.

Though you roll through the valley of turbos, fear no boost. Style and import-tuning-heritage are with you. If purges of NOS hiss and blast over your head, do not be dismayed; your triple-diamond emblem protects you. And even when 4G63's, GST's and AWD's surround you, be not shaken. You are weak, but you are among your own people. Hold your hoodscoop high. Though you are only an RS, you will be Fast and Furious, till the day you die.

XXXX
                  Last edited by Miroteknik; 05-29-2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Can't wait for a pic of this slammed and cambered out, static fender to lip on those meisters
                    Power game weak, but stance game strong

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

No pressure he says, and posts pics of meisters with tires.
                      Carry on though.
                      BTW for what it's worth - I really like the stock body on those. F&F stuff looks ridiculous on them IMHO.

I still have an XP operated PC to play old games on it, I'll stick that first photo as a background. Perfect.
                      "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                      Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

You always deliver <3 hahhaa

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                          Can't wait for a pic of this slammed and cambered out, static fender to lip on those meisters
                          Power game weak, but stance game strong
                          just need to pick what clique im gonna represent

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                          No pressure he says, and posts pics of meisters with tires.
                          Carry on though.
                          BTW for what it's worth - I really like the stock body on those. F&F stuff looks ridiculous on them IMHO.

I still have an XP operated PC to play old games on it, I'll stick that first photo as a background. Perfect.
                          im with you mate, there will be no F&F bodykit. i am thrashing about in frantic search for a GSX high-rise wing though. i cannot stand these without the wing, and ....

Originally posted by saturnstance View Post
                          You always deliver <3 hahhaa
                          here for a good time m8

Comment

I didn't except this after the RX7, but hey it's so clean that I can forget is FWD.

Can't wait to see what you're gonna do with this!

Comment

Originally posted by DawsonLiri View Post
                              I didn't except this after the RX7, but hey it's so clean that I can forget is FWD.

Can't wait to see what you're gonna do with this!
                              They said don't trust strangers on the street... They never warned you about the internet. Just when you think you've got me figured out, BOOM I do something even dumber than you'd imagined.

Coilovers are ordered and I have releashed (released/unleashed) bot software to scour the nation's junkyard web-inventory for a wing.

Comment

Working...
                              X