1988 16v Scirocco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 16v Scirocco

Just wanted to introduce my other project besides the Kia.

The Craigslist Gods shined their eyes bright upon me with this absolute peach of a Scirocco. She's an 88 16valve in Alpine White with black interior. Like most older VWs, it has issues, but nothing honestly major.
    Oil leak at the pan, fuel leak somewhere around the tank. The brakes are garbage but "work", seems to be a weeping caliper. Other than needing a bit of maintenance, she's a runner. Fires up every time without issue, idles well also.
    Has a few period correct goodies and some near mint 16" BBS RCs(?) on it with brand new Continentals. Corrado front buckets in mint black leather. The whole car needs a good scrubbing, including the headliner which is beyond gross and moldy, but I believe that will clean up with some AP cleaner and magic erasers. The seats and door cards need cleaned and treated. There are two cracks in the dash, but that's it. Everything works from the blower under the dash (though noisy), the electric windows and even the electric mirrors.

The P.O. started putting the German flag inspired pinstripe vinyl on, but couldn't decide if he liked it or not so he never finished it. I have enough vinyl to do both sides and I likely will.

Enough jibber jabber, on to the pics:

FB_IMG_1549304844331 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1549304835349 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1549304841368 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1549304838290 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1549304851532 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

0209191143 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

0209191139 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

0203191353b by Clay Williams, on Flickr
    Attached Files

Looks super clean, for the fuel tank leak, my friend a few years back had the same issue and there was actually a recall for it. Not sure if they still honor it but amazingly they fixed his.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
      Looks super clean, for the fuel tank leak, my friend a few years back had the same issue and there was actually a recall for it. Not sure if they still honor it but amazingly they fixed his.
      I'll have to look into that, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Nice, I love old Sciroccos! The side flag stripe looks whack tho, imo

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
          Nice, I love old Sciroccos! The side flag stripe looks whack tho, imo
          It's definitely a love/**** thing with the stripe.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the side stripe, it accentuates the wheel arches. Sub'd on this for sure

Comment

No real updates on this thing other than an asston of maintenance.

New coolant hoses for everything
              Brembo disks and pads at all corners
              Steel braided brake lines
              Rewired the lights so all 4 light up with brights
              New tail light lenses installed
              Fixed the license plate lighting
              New belts
              New thermostat, housing and water pump with metal impeller
              Vacuum lines replaced
              Bulbs replaced in the dash that were burnt out
              New oil pan and gasket
              Lots of wiring clean up under the hood, it was a rats nest.
              Removed the rear spacers, my tires rubbed a good bit at the current height.
              I believe that's it.

Still to do:
              Replace the HVAC fan
              Heater core
              Oil stem seals on the cams
              Full refresh of all the bushings
              Full suspension rebuild
              Deep clean
              Paint maybe over the winter and interior refresh. It needs a headliner and pillars badly

I've thrown way too much at this thing already, but I must keep going. Flikr is being dumb right now, so no pics. I'll revisit later and upload some.

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                I had to replace that little canister filter on the tank. No one in the States had one, thankfully Heritage VW in England had them in stock. $110 and two days later, I had it.

Comment

180412 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

180393 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

This is the filter above the tank in all its crusty glory.
                  179430 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

My two bitches
                  0525191857_HDR by Clay Williams, on Flickr

Stripe off, back in the shop getting ready for tear down. Paint for the outside, bay and motor are coming sooner than I anticipated. Ordered all new rubbers for the windows, doors, sunroof and hatch. Gonna leave it white but with a touch of pearl to it. Engine will be flat black, all the accessories will be gloss black.

183781 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

WHen the po removed the molding, it took some paint with it...hence the stripe.

183782 by Clay Williams, on Flickr
                  Last edited by evertoconquer; 05-31-2019, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X