Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "beetle doesn't suit you" they say...

Quote Originally Posted by white out View Post
    Oh that's cool. What does the front look like with the dash in place?
    Don't know I have a vision and sketch somewhere... it will be full TT center lower console and modified beetle center dash part with TT buttons and vents... That part will be hardest I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by MaikelW View Post
    looking forward to see how this goes!
    Thanks I'll try not to disappoint you and mostly myself

Didnt wanted to post as not much happened, but decided to do it so it wont be one big picture heavy post in a week or so
    As I said, I am at home, not working this week, cant go outside because of pills I got... So I am working on the interior pieces...

Started with the main part of this revamp - TT lower center dash. TT had climatronic, beetle use good old one manual hvac controls...
    So I bought golf 4 controls with bezel because its flat (beetles is rounded, cant mold it into TT part)

Started with TT and Golf bezels

Grinded the hole for golf part - made a lot of mess in my living room

3D printed red filler pieces and melted it all together with solder gun from the inside...

Then lot of sanding, filling and base paint which revealed more filling needed - this is where I am now... waiting for it to harden

Meanwhile - I want to use TT buttons for heated seats, window, hazard, esp... And only not electrically compatible part was the most important one - park anywhere buttan aka hazard switch. Fortunately you can take of the outer part and switch it to the beetle part... And voilŠ - fully compatible button module is born

Also mounted the shifter shroud and found out another problem - this is neutral - so I cant shift 2nd and 4th gear right now. I will remove the rubber boot to find out if its just the stick coliding with shroud or shifter mechanism...
    We can cut and reweld the stick in different angle in first case. Or get complete TT mechanism in second case. Gotta find out

Also Tried to mount kneebars to determine center console height and it looks kinda easy... Still need to cut out some dash parts to fit this...

First things first Kinda finnished the main part of bottom center dash part. I may spray one layer of clear coat over it, waiting for my order
    Black with holographic glitter as should be the whole center console, lower dash part and few more small covers...
    Its not any near profesional finish but I am happy with it First time I did this type of mod...

Probably gonna use the knobs I already have in car, not sure

3D printed center console extension, fitment to the TT one is good. but I need to modify it to fit rear seats and reprint it.

Either way I am thinking about that "free space" it provides and maybe I will print cupholder like this with aluminium (CNC machined) top to keep TT style... not sure yet. I am kinda worried of it to look too cramped there...

Oh and I found out that modification of shift rod wouldnt be enough, so I ordered TT shifter assembly...

Default wing time...

Fitted TT side vents

And first tests of my very own wing design... Lot of people will dislike this It should flow the car better with front splitter and widened rear fenders in the future... Tanner Fousts beetle and RWBs and Slant nose porsche 997 were big inspiration for this design

I dont like the sidepod front view... its too - wide/massive I guess. So I already printed different version - the one I showed you before and it may be better.

Now to paint it all... not sure how, I would like to have stands and side pods in body color and the wing itself black with same glitters as in interior.

I am printing new extension for center console - I will make the cupholder, but different, just for one cup, It shouldnt look cramped there and the top aluminium frame will be easier and cheaper to make. No CNC, just lathe...

Almost finished the wing, only sidepods remains... I have to sand them a lot

You can say for sure I am not good at spraypainting... Tried a little stencil where the sidepod will be...

"Z" mounts installed

Stands/side plates installed

Dat A**

When you are the weird one here...

Of course we had to test its main function...

Tomorrow next step - Passat B6 valance used upside down as temporary splitter until I find and buy right material to make functional one..

Today when I was parked on a dirt road near local beach area I heard a guy saying "Its on bags, he will raise it and drive home"
    Having static car as low as others things its on bags kinda made my day

Grinded the holes for side turn signals... VW made them look the same as common MK4 ones from the outside, but the hole is smaller... Well for using sequential turn signals I had to make them bigger

The new ones aren't as rounded as the old ones... 3D printer comes to help and I made this frame - It will be black with glitter (same as wing and interior pieces) while the lamp itself will get neochrome wrap as the stock ones...

Talking about glitter - I really messed up the wing, its not shiny as I wanted... I am shitty painter

Wing was pretty wobbly left-right direction and I dont want it to colapse at higher speed or bigger bumps. Here comes tension cable bracing...

No way I can use the passat b6 valance upside down as is... It will be to low and at weird angle...

So I plan to cut it a lot and use rubber lip (ali expres) on it

Oh and funny one - scooping dirt when backing up on unleveled dirt road is a thing

Well... not much happened, summer activities got in the way

I painted the side pods, not a best job but f*** it...

Recieved brass press-fit thread inserts and fitted them in

and test fitted on the car

It still needs a black paint inside, then they'll be finaly fitted

Another 3D printed prototype parts tested

Finished my sequential side markers with 3D printed trim

Back to the center console...
    Decided to go with 1 cup holder.

3D printed, glued, welded, filled, sanded. I am finishing the paint these days, Same black with hologram glitter as the heater/Stereo console

The top ring will be machined from Aluminium to fit the rest of TT parts

Recieved the TT dash from UK version (I need the center part so it doesnt matter)
    I planned to cut it and weld it to the Beetle part... bud there is like 10mm of soft foam on the outer side...
    So I 3D scanned it and will print it from solid ABS...
    3D scanning process

Got some measurements

Scanned and simplified mesh

Reverse engineered center part

Trying to design some overfenders but I am not really sure if I want to go this way. so just thumbnails

And this is how it looks now...

Please make the exhaust come out the left fog light.
    lamborfuckinghini

well no 1) its dual exhaust and I would need to find out another place for fog/reverse lights 2) I dont like it 3) They will be right in the projektzwo bumper cutouts when its finished

So... its 2 weeks to local VW fest...
    Finished center tunel paint

Painted the TT handbrake too and transplated it to car.

That means I only need to paint 3D printed cupholder, one cover I forgot about(under handbrake handle...) and Shifter surround
    And wait for my custom Aluminium cup holder ring...

Also finaly mounted Wing side pods and I love them. Some say it reminds star trek ships gondolas

Replaced New Beetle shifter assembly with TT ones just for offset of the handle, but Its actually improvement as the TT one is in much better shape. I needed to replace mounting bracket and cable ends with beetle ones as the TT one was propably taken from 6spd gearbox...

With the exhaust of the car, replaced center muffler section for straight pipe...

We also installed underglow (please, bring back underglow ) unfortunately on this day my phone was completely discharged so no photos from install. (mismatched wheels as I am getting 2 new front tires mounted on monday...)

two dice

”h... and I bought new daily... 2001 Toyota Previa, I may just sneak some of it here, It wont be build. just wheels and few little optical changes, no lowering etc. (well, at least not yet as I want to enjoy its practical volume...)

Already bought these for it, Proline PS 8x18 - got great deal on them, didn't planned to buy similar wheels to beetle ones 5 wheels with 4 ok-ish tires for 150$... not bad

I like the wing, but I do think it would look better with black uprights with yellow wing and side pods.

I may redo it over winter. It would be better cause of different shades of yellow...

Look what awaits me at post office, I mays start to assemble interior today, yey )

Remember the design?

Came home and polished the trim ring

Then I used press fitted thread inserts to it - same principle is used on the shifter trim from factory and mounted it together with anodized bolts - I also used them for shifter trim

et voilŠ... (my name's not Kyle though)

superhappy with the results, not perfect but completely custom and made from scratch, the cup is 3D printed and the ring is machine made from my CAD model...

Can't wait to see the interior finished.
    lamborfuckinghini

Quote Originally Posted by white out View Post
    Can't wait to see the interior finished.
    Agreed. It will look really nice. And what is more, you can trim some of it in alcantara, or suede for more cost effectiveness to both cover imperfections, and make it look nicer at the same time.

Cheers

Mike

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

So with the upcomings show I started to assembly the interior... Not gonna lie, at some point I had to admit I can't do it all till them and decided not to rush it and make it worse...

Cutted out all the holders preventing me from central cage install, no way back at this point...

installed the rubber shift boot

Printed small parts like underglow-switch and unit holder inside TT central compartment and small usb outlet for a place where "airbag off" light used to be...

And started assembly...

Tunel part was quite straightforward...

For the center cage I made new brackets from stock ones, god bless nutserts, I love them

I still dont have the central part with vents and buttons. Working on it right now. This where I am

another little bit of glitter. Now I need to order headlight switch with brushed aluminium knob...

When I admited I wont be able to print and finish all of my bits till our local shows, I ordered replacement clear turn signals to replace my mismatched ones (thanks dear Bambi...)

And finally painted front calipers to match the rears..

And then we were kinda ready to attend these shows and make some trips. Finally I enjoyed the car a little bit more

And I fitted new shoes to my "daily/tripvan"
    you remember how they looked when I bought them?

It was all matter of proper cleaning

Now it looks like car

Next step - we need to cut, notch and weld up the front wheelwells where it rubs in lock... Probably also the upper part to gain some space to go lower...

Interior vise I need next to finish that center console piece, paint the lower dash matt black and upholster the door cards. I also have lupo dash to fit, but that will be winter project...

But I guess its time to enjoy it a little, so nothing major to keep it driveable

it's been a while.
    Not much happened with car, right now I focus on different things, mainly making my life better But here is a little update to keep this alive

Our annual beetle meet was rally themed, so I was trying to figure out some easy to make livery, in the end I ended up with buying 3 roles of vinyl and spent 2 hours with scissors and some freestyle sticking it to the car Probably gotta add a 91 number (which I recieved at the meet) to the doors to complete that "racecar wannabe livery"

Also decided to make some splitter/cannards-ish things to make front fit the rear wing more...

And went for the meeting. 700km drive with 50km blind rally which made my floor pan and front subframe really unhappy... but we survived

Then I had to remove a wing because of safety concerns, the thread inserts got ripped out and it was held in place mostly by tension cables. I gues all these are a thing when you are that low static... My windshield is also cracked in the corner...
    I need to mount it different way, already working on it

When you dont have a drone for aerial shots

And my friend recently took some pics with her dlsr...

Those graphics are pretty sharp. Looks so much better without the wing though.

I **** to be that guy, but would you ever be interested in getting some OZ's and going this direction?

OMG i honestly have never been a huge fan of the new beetle but man, you've done such an amazing job on this one.

I love how you took care of the smallest details but the one thing that's genuinely blowing my mind is that open roof from the ka.

Did it ever leak? I cant believe how well it fits tbh, great job!

>>> Facebook (O \ . / O) Instagram (Oo=V=oO) Shop <<<