Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STancey ST

Hello, StanceWorks!

Long time lurker (circa 2014) and first-time poster!

I’m going to get into my build here in a sec, but I wanted to start off with a little story about how Stanceworks played a huge part in my life back in 2014 (and still continues today).

So, back in 2014, I was a sophomore at a tiny college in South Carolina. I was working a summer job as a graphic design intern and I was driving a 2008 Saab 9-3 that I absolutely adored. I decided with my summer money that I was going to get some new stuff for my car (shit-tier wheels and a bike rack). I quickly realized the best thing to make my car the best it could be was to lower it, even though I had no idea how to even do that or why I wanted it. Anyways, I didn’t know anyone who could help me with this, so I searched around on Facebook and messaged a mutual friend of a friend.

That’s how I met Ben.

Well, you may know him as “benznotmercedes” or, on here, “rightfullrudder.” I shot him a facebook message and we ended up hitting it off. We talked constantly about cars. I was so ecstatic when I went back to school in the fall and found out Ben was living two floors above me. At the time, I was dating a very lost, unkind, and possessive man. (I won’t get into all of the stupid shit I put up with, dealt with, and settled for, but every person has been there.) I wasn’t allowed to have male friends, but I wanted nothing more than to talk to Ben. So, Ben and I hid our friendship here, on StanceWorks. We messaged each other back and forth, sending memes and build threads. Hell, I’m tearing up at work reading the stupid memey, cringey messages we sent to each other back then.

After a while, Ben and I started dating. I had known I wanted to be with him the moment we met in person. Because I had just gotten out of a relationship, he told me we should wait, just to be sure. Finally, he said yes and we decided to be "official." (That weird dumb thing you had to say in college.)

The next two years of college were amazing. We skipped class to drive 12 hours in a hurricane to h2oi, spent our weekends at shows all over the Southeast, and so much more.

When we went down to Atlanta for the weekend for Ben and his Mazda to participate in Slammedenuff, I fell in love with the Focus ST. It was the most fun little car I’d ever seen, and even though I couldn’t drive stick, I sold my old Saab and bought one.

Okay, now I’m getting into the build. I promise.

I moved to Atlanta a few months after graduating from college. It was just my Focus ST and I in a new city, and it was really nerve-wracking. Ben was in graduate school in North Carolina, but we still met up to go to Helen and see our other car friends. In July of 2018, after having my car for over two years, I finally bought my first set of coilovers.

They were Bilsteins, and I got them for super cheap brand new. They were more performance, so I definitely didn’t get the drop I really wanted. They made the car so much fun to drive, but I really wanted to go even lower. I didn't have a job at the time, and I was still in grad school, so that would have to wait.

Next came the wheels. I had always said I was going to do monoblocks on them, but I was still gravitating towards three-piece wheels. I picked up a lovely set of 19” Weds Kranze Glossas from my friend Jake at threepiece.us and had them redrilled to fit my wonky bolt pattern!

After that, I installed some little wing risers from Velossa Tech to give my hot hatch a more aggressive look.

That all led up to this weekend. Finally, after nearly three years, I had a job and a house with a garage and the stars had aligned. Ben and I (well, mostly Ben and his friends), installed some brand new air ride from Bag Riders! I couldn’t be happier with the outcome.

I still have a lot to do to finish the vision I have for this little spit of a car. But, I definitely feel like it’s getting there.

Thanks for taking the time to read my build thread! I’ll keep updating it as I add on to my car.

And, thank you to StanceWorks for being a place that my best friend, partner in crime, and love of my life could talk about all the stupid shit that brought us together in the first place.

~Kenz
    Last edited by Kenz; 01-21-2019, 10:53 AM.

Static 1986 Guards Red NA Porsche 944
    P O R S C H E P A I ~
    The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Love the story, cool to see how this community brings people together! Looking forward to see what's next for the FoST. I daily drive a FiST myself, I feel the pain of weird bolt patterns. There is nothing out there for 4x108. The Weds turned out rad though, good choice!

Comment

Cool car and cool story! Can't wait to see the car continue to progress, any ideas as to what is next on the mod list?

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
      "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
      SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 19birel View Post
        Cool car and cool story! Can't wait to see the car continue to progress, any ideas as to what is next on the mod list?
        Thank you so much!

Exhaust definitely! I've been looking at the AWE track exhaust because I love the aggressive rumble. Just have to be careful because these cars drone like a beehive!

I'm thinking a rear diffuser and front lip, as well. Not sure yet, though!

P O R S C H E P A I ~
        The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Hi so glad you're finally posting on here
          Last edited by rightfullrudder; 01-21-2019, 01:06 PM.
          Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

What a cool story, Glad to see you finally posting on here and sharing the car with us.
            Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
              Hi so glad you're finally posting on here
              Well hello there. ( ͡ಠ ͜ʖ ͡ಠ)

And I know! Only had this account for four and a half years ha.

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
              What a cool story, Glad to see you finally posting on here and sharing the car with us.
              Thank you! It's been something I've wanted to do for years!

P O R S C H E P A I ~
              The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

80% of why I still love forums is stories like this one!

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

HIIII KENZ!

I'll trade you an Xbox for your wheels.
                  Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

Nice!
                    great story and cool project.

Glad to see more Atlanta folks here

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
                      HIIII KENZ!

I'll trade you an Xbox for your wheels.
                      Ha! I totally forgot about this until I asked Ben about it last night.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and taking them time to read our story and my build thread!

P O R S C H E P A I ~
                      The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Damn, what a nice love story!

And nice car too.

Comment

Car is cleaned up and aligned, finally got some good pics of it today!

P O R S C H E P A I ~
                          The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Looks great, great back story on you two as well.

Comment

Just a few updates on the ST!

Decided to visit some friends in Myrtle Beach, SC for Panda Junction. Last minute, decided to enter the showcase and somehow got in! This was my first time ever showing my car, and it wasa a total blast.

We didn't win anything, but it was so awesome to have my car in the showcase! I met another woman with a stancey mini. I've really enjoyed meeting other women in the stance scene. I've even met a few who own bagged STs! For the most part, everyone is pretty nice.

Came home and about a week later, Ben surprised me with some chrome door handles for the ST. If you've seen his old mazda build, it had chrome door handles, too! We decided to channel the old mazda and add some bling to the ST.

I also got some more exhaust work done. A while back, I had the muffler deleted and had this awful awful drone at high speeds on the highway. Finally got the resonator deleted, and it seemed to help the drone a lot. Also got some custom welded exhaust tips (which I'm still deciding if I like or not). Eventually (maybe) I'll get a full catback exhaust, but for now, just going with this.

Also, have some side skirts en route from Strafe Design. I also have a few other goodies in the works for the ST, but I'm trying not let my eye wander to buying a little project car ha. I have so much I want to do to the ST still, but I'm also trying to not to go broke doing it haha. I'm learning how to enjoy the car as it is now, but I feel like I keep looking to the next thing and next thing I want to do.

Oh, also!

We will be at Slammedenuff NC in May! I can't believe we managed to get in for the showcase. I'm so excited!

P O R S C H E P A I ~
                              The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Working...
                              X