No announcement yet.

Dlux BMW E21 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn't agree more. Number I've seen is motor is 345 dressed,,, which should be less the lump I took out of mine. Hopefully will have it on the scales soon.

Comment

Right? I wish I would have weighed mine. I have seen 370# dressed. I am not running AC or power steering so I could have dropped another 15#?

I know my turbo off my old motor weighed 75# alone (manifold included). The old motor weighed 380#, so 455# total with turbo included vs 370#. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Comment

More work on the rear subframe.

I will need to adjust my toe and camber in the rear since the plan is to have this car lowered. I am not a fan of welding on the adjustment plates so I decided to cut off all the mounts and make my own.

As I sat under the car when putting the subframe in, I kept looking at the stock fuel pump/accumulator/filter setup. I couldn't handle it anymore. It just looks like another BMW band aid and its a mess, especially when previous owners have spliced parts in and things have worn over time.

I took out the gas tanks, fuel and brake lines and will be replacing all of them with new. I was going to be lazy and try to run the brake/fuel lines but after pulling the tanks, I am glad I am redoing all of it. The fuel lines nor the brake lines were in great shap.

I will be bracing the subframe mounts in the middle like the factory did after I get the tanks and lines back in so I can double check clearance issues.

Comment

My battery was located in the trunk. I pulled it and am going to toss it back in the front.

I have always wondered how much extra weight youre adding by running all that cable back there. Now I know. 6lbs. Just food for thought but youre almost adding 25% of the weight of the battery in cable.

On a side note... if anybody wants a pre cut battery cable, let me know. LOL

Comment

I worked on getting the gas tanks, fuel lines, vent lines, pump, filters all sorted out along with fresh undercoat above the tanks.

I went with all stainless braided lines for durability. I did do 5/16 hardline from just after the filter to the engine bay. I ran the hardline in the trans tunnel so it never has a chance of being smashed.

I am liking this much more than the factory BMW setup. I feel like its placed much better and much easier to service each individual part.

Comment

Now that I have the tanks installed, I showed some pictures of the interference that I worked with from the tank to subframe.

Comment

I added some trailing arm mount bracing and also got the diff mount on the chassis done. Getting closer to having that rear end in!

Comment

Love your style in fabwork

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Thanks bud

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                      +1

and even a little jealous!

Comment

I hit the weekend with the goal of getting the rear end in. I need to learn to not have goals as sometimes they can just leave you disappointed.

I knew that there was a chance that my brackets on my subframe would not allow for the adjustment that I needed. I totally forgot as I was half way done welding them! Whoops!

My adjustment on the side for toe is good, the camber adjustment was not.

The camber adjustment needed to be moved up a ton. I need to check but I think close to 2" over stock.

As I cut off the inner brackets to make them correct for camber, I was also bothered by the binding that comes from twisting the toe side bushing to make it have the same angle as the camber side. After resisting all the work I would have to put in to cut off everything I had made and also make new brackets, I did it, I cut it all off and not only put on proper brackets but now, since I had a great idea of where my arms need to be, I put them in that spot and then made all the brackets at an angle so the bushings would see close to no binding.

So, in the end, even though it was a ton more work to redo it all, I am glad I did it and I am really glad that everything is as proper as can be.

Comment

Originally posted by DawsonLiri View Post
                          +1

and even a little jealous!
                          Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                          Thanks again guys. It probably means more than you know. I am getting a lot of criticism off Facebook so it sure is nice to hear good words along with the bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik D_lux View Post
                            Thanks again guys. It probably means more than you know. I am getting a lot of criticism off Facebook so it sure is nice to hear good words along with the bad.
                            Where are you posting on facebook?

problem is a lot of people is attached to the wrong side of "purism", they have a little list of "allowed mods" (that usually suck), but when you start doing more than bolting on off-the-shelf stuff on an old car they all freak out.

Comment

I post on my personal page https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010854313544

I also post on E21 legion and BMW e21 groups. Both BMW e21 specific.

I think Facebook is the problem. Facebook is just full of dumb asses who feel the need to comment on anything and everything even if they dont know what they are talking about.

I think youre right though, people dont like ideas that are not within their constraints. They all flipped their lid when I told them I was putting a non BMW motor in and then really lost it when I told them BMW's are unreliable pieces of crap. LOL. They dont get it.... I dont get it....

Comment

Nothing new to my ear, I am banned from most big BMW italian pages because I held a fight with them, all the people there is like "old bmws are jewels to only drive once a year and if you mod them and/or put miles on them you are a monster" and I used to daily drive an e30 with wide steelies, tiny tyres, cut off silencer, a big homemade roofrack and runny paint I found it very funny actually, but kind of concerning if you think about it

Comment

Working...
                                X