No announcement yet.

Dlux BMW E21 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody ever asked you which of the 5 senses you would choose to loose if you had a choice? Hearing, seeing, taste, feel or smell?

If it were me, I would choose hearing. Not that I dont like to hear, I just feel like I have similar hearing as a dog, everything seems amplified.

One huge problem with amplified hearing are rattles. Rattles drive me nuts! I cant stand them and they make me want to pull my hair out. I can hear the smallest rattle.

On my E brake, my handle, specifically the knob in the middle will rattle and hit the side of the handle and rattle. I couldnt stand it any longer so I made a new handle. I dont have this perfected just yet but it reduced the rattle quite a bit. I will either enlarge the hole so much that the knob cant rattle on it or I will make a new center that is so tight that it cant rattle. Either way, I like how it matches my shifter. Its made from 7075 as it needs to be really really strong. LOL

Comment

• waaaa waaaaaaaaa

I have not posted anything about this car in awhile because I have been fine tuning and mostly just in pure bliss enjoying it.

I was tuning the motor/computer and doing some wide open passes and I heard a knock... uh oh.

Upon inspection, all my rod bearing caps were loose and there was 1 that the bearing and crank were in not so good shape. So, rather than mess with a rebuild, I have a new motor that has 17k on its way. Should be able to pick up today.

Sure am glad I picked a cheap motor to replace! They have gone up since I did this build though. Used to be around $800 and now they are closer to $1100. Maybe all of us doing LFX swaps should keep our mouths shut? LOL.

If you have been watching this build, you might remember my video that I made on the first start up. At the end of that video, you hear me say that I dont know if I am getting oil pressure so I shut it down. I think I caught the no oil pressure issue just a bit too late and thats what caused all of this. Live and learn...

Comment

• Bummer!
        But hey, 1100 is not a bad price for an engine with such low mileage. Also, check the rod caps and main caps on the new one, just in case.
        Wish you godspeed
        Oh, great work on the trunk too!
        "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
        Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• Will do. Thanks!

Comment

• impressed at your resolve. seeing an engine I just swapped in go bad really takes the steam out of me. I'm glad you are not like me.

Comment

• Skid plate has been doing work for sure! I will have to redo the bend when I put it back in. I had about 1/2" between it and the pan and now its riding against the pan. I will have to stiffen up the front shocks too to prevent this from happening so quick in the future.

Removing the motor sucks, for sue. Not all is bad though as I get to fix a couple of things that were not perfect.

Engine bay got scratched up pretty good from removing and installing the motor so many times. I get to repaint that now.

Since I didnt weld the inside of the oil pan, there was some oil leaking thru in some pin holes. I covered those up with RTV on the outside and didnt like the hack fix. Now I laid down some JB weld on the inside so leaks should be no longer.

I re made the remote oil filter plate again. First round I tapped the holes for the 1/2 NPT too deep so the fittings bottomed out and didnt tighten as much as I liked. I also went to a more stock style passage with the fittings in the same spots as stock along with the pressure sender teed into the return line. The way I had it before, it was just too hard to work on. I couldnt get a wrench or socket on the fittings and the pressure sender was so close that I broke it getting the other fittings off.

Talk about a clean 1 owner engine! I got this with 17k miles on it and it looks like new! Oil looks like it was either just changed or the motor is running really clean also.

I took a chance on the motor based on the picture on ebay. The car was painted a horrible pink. I thought.. either this person is a dumb ass (totally possible) or its just some girl who spends extra on her car. Either way, I am glad to have a car from a lolly gagging girl.

The old motor was not bad at all but the aluminum had corrosion on it even though it only had 33k on it. This one is primo!

Comment

• Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                impressed at your resolve. seeing an engine I just swapped in go bad really takes the steam out of me. I'm glad you are not like me.
                I would not take that assumption. I dont like it at all! I was too depressed to work on it for 2 days. On the 3rd day, I was still depressed but once I started working on it, it got better. As with most things, getting started is the worst part.

Right now I am trying to put the trans back on the motor and cant seem to get the input shaft stabbed into the crank. So frustrating!

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik D_lux View Post
                  I took a chance on the motor based on the picture on ebay. The car was painted a horrible pink. I thought.. either this person is a dumb ass (totally possible) or its just some girl who spends extra on her car. Either way, I am glad to have a car from a lolly gagging girl.

stripper

Comment

• Man, thats a good guess!

Comment

• I got the motor in and running on Friday night. Pulled out in the driveway, cleaned the shop up, took a shower and tried to dream up any errand I could just to spend as much time possible in this car on Saturday.

I pulled out of the drive way, feeling great, put it in 1st, gave it gas and heard what sounded like splines stripping. Unbelievable!

After talking to Diggy Smalls​ (thanks buddy!), trying to figure out if I could be missing anything simple, it was right back to the shop to pull the trans.

Never have I worked on such a stubborn car. Its as if it trying to beat me. I have news for it, its not going to win. I am one persistent SOB.

I like to go on bike rides with my kids. One of my favorite things is hill climbs and pushing them to make it all the way up. I try to explain to them that there are different voices in their heads.
                      One will tell them that it hurts too bad and they need to stop.
                      I tell them they have to practice not listening to that voice. You have to keep pushing and tell that voice that you are in control, not it. Then when they attack the hills, I tell them they are being wussies if they quit. LOL. Pressure from me and also competing with their sibling really goes a long ways. They try so hard and I am so proud of them. Point of all this? Having kids is great because you get to take a look at yourself when you give them advice. How can I tell them not to be wussies and then be one myself? It makes me take my same advice.

After talking to Diggy Smalls, I was not in the best space in my head. For some reason, it really helped to make a sticker to put on my bike rack. "No surrender". This is letting the car and the whole world know that I cannot be knocked down and out. I will get up again and again. Hopefully my kids will look at this sticker and remember some of the issues I had to work thru to get this car going and they can take that example thru their life and stay strong in times of need.

I pulled the trans and found that the clutch disc split. New clutch is on the way and hopefully will have this car up and running this coming weekend.

Bonus points to whomever can tell me where I got "no surrender, cant lose" from.

Comment

• Wow sucks about the split clutch :/
                        Cracked up at "How can I tell them not to be wussies and then be one myself? "
                        My guess on the No Surrender is Judas Priest's song.

Comment

• Kinda, not really close on Judas Priest. LOL.

Comment

• First the engine then the clutch.
                            You could almost say the car makes a vulgar display of power against you...

Comment

• I give up then
                              Don't imagine you found it in the boot of the strippermaro, did you?

Comment

• Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                                I give up then
                                Don't imagine you found it in the boot of the strippermaro, did you?
                                There is A NEW LEVEL of hints in the post above yours...

Comment

Working...
                                X