Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to adult! B8.5 Audi S5

So it's been a few months, StanceWorks.

Initially had a Mazda6 build that went through various phases for 5-6 years before I ended up with a 1995 UrS6 as a project car that diverted most of my attention from it. Here they both are.

The Mazda had been my daily for a really long time and I was just about ready to move on to something else. I'd had the car since I was 18 and a good portion of the car represented who I was then rather than who I am now. Looked at a bunch of different things but test drove a B8 S4 DSG and I was in love. I hadn't really been looking at an S5 specifically but I found this one at a used car dealer in Asheville NC. Had a buddy check it out for me, seemed legit, so I talked my credit union into cutting a check and drove up there with my girlfriend to pick it up.

The car is a 2013 S5 Prestige, with some interesting options. It has Audi drive select adjustable struts, the sport diff, S tronic transmission, and for some reason black leather interior with brown grandpa status inserts!

It turns out that when the guy who test drove the car for me said it "definitely had an exhaust," it had some other modifications as well.

- APR Stage 2, single pulley
    - APR DSG tune
    - ECS carbon intake
    - AWE Track exhaust

These were pretty much the performance modifications I would have done to the car anyway but the selling dealership didn't know the car had them!!!!

For the end of summer/beginning of fall I just tried to adjust to the new car. Here it is making friends with my UrS6. As you can see the S5 came with the pretty ugly (IMO) base model 18s on it, most likely because the previous owner parted out the 19" wheels that came on it according to the original window sticker.

I did end up finding an awesome deal on a set of OEM 20x8.5 et33 "Peelers" off a Q5 S-Line. These wheels are the exact same design as the optional 19s on the S4/S5 but obviously an inch larger. Ran them with 255/30/20s and 15/20mm spacers to bring them to et18 front and et13 rear. Here's a pic of them in action on our trip to the Tail of the Dragon. Car did great but I definitely reached the limits of whatever brake fluid was in there lol.

Moved in with my girlfriend to a house with a garage, S5 and S6 are happy.

Recently I got an insane deal on some JOM coilovers because they were missing a rear adjuster assembly. I know JOM are basically German Racelands but I'm into these for a grand total of $120 and they've never been mounted to a car. Eventually I plan on putting Bilstein inserts in or bagging the car, but for right now I'd rather have the money freed up and have the car at a decent height. I had to kind of gamble when buying them, which is why they were so cheap. I was pretty sure a perch from BC Racing would fit because springs tend to be the same diameter and the perches have to fit the same control arms, and thank God it turned out to be right. Haven't tackled the install yet, but hopefully will be able to here pretty soon.

JOM spring, BC perch

Ran into an opportunity to straight trade the 20" peelers for some 20x10 et25 Rotiform RSE, which was kinda cool and unexpected. They honestly look alright at stock height but will look nice and meaty when lowered IMO. Not a huge fan of the color though -- especially because my car has the aluminum optics appearance package so dark wheels don't make any sense haha.

Finally, over the weekend I went on a snow chase to the mountains of NC and decided to send it in the S5!! It did great except for the summer tires on the Rotiforms. Oh well. Was pretty funny plowing through a foot of snow with it. This was taken immediately after I got stuck on a dirt road and had to back down a hill.

In terms of future plans:

- Install coilovers
    - RS5 grille
    - Rear lip spoiler
    - Probably swap out the Rotiforms to something else?
    Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Damn dude, nice score with the S5. That thing looks clean and well loved. Very lucky with that it already had mod wise, I bet its a blast to drive.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Yessssss.. Your 6 is one of the fist builds I remember coming across on SW. I cant wait to see the continuation with this car. Awesome platform too.

Comment

Huge upgrade from the mazda, stoked to see more

Comment

17b68b3e47ce6505119c3b31f8bcba89.jpg

These rims can look very good on this car. I hope the car owner will not be upset for using his photo

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
            Damn dude, nice score with the S5. That thing looks clean and well loved. Very lucky with that it already had mod wise, I bet its a blast to drive.
            Thanks man, it is really pretty fun to drive. Kind of a boat but the sport diff really pushes it through corners if you stay on the power. Really glad I got the DSG, Atlanta traffic sucks.

Originally posted by Hvmbone View Post
            Yessssss.. Your 6 is one of the fist builds I remember coming across on SW. I cant wait to see the continuation with this car. Awesome platform too.
            Appreciate it!

Originally posted by slurms mckenzie View Post
            Huge upgrade from the mazda, stoked to see more
            Thanks guys. I will miss the mazda though.

Comment

Stoked on this! Too bad it doesn't have the Magma interior, the brown is tight though!

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
              http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

Sweet find! I just finished rebuilding a totaled B8.5 A4, I'm jealous of your 3.0T haha

Interested to hear how those JOMs ride, these cars look killer when lowered but personally I'm scared to ruin the comfort of mine haha. Don't forget to get a DRC (Dynamic Ride Control) delete kit! Otherwise you will get an error on the dash and an annoying beep since you have the adaptive suspension.

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 19birel View Post
                  Sweet find! I just finished rebuilding a totaled B8.5 A4, I'm jealous of your 3.0T haha

Interested to hear how those JOMs ride, these cars look killer when lowered but personally I'm scared to ruin the comfort of mine haha. Don't forget to get a DRC (Dynamic Ride Control) delete kit! Otherwise you will get an error on the dash and an annoying beep since you have the adaptive suspension.
                  I've been following your thread! Nice work.

Well, looks like I can answer your question now. Went home to NC for Christmas and had a few days with absolutely nothing to do, so I shoehorned my jack, tools, clothes, coilovers, etc into the back of the S5 and decided to try and install the coilovers while I was there.

I don't have a lot of pics of the install itself, but it took us maybe 11 hours spread over two days with two people, minus final height adjustments. Very thankful for my awesome girlfriend, who got me an impact gun for Christmas. The fronts were a lot more bolts, but overall easier to do. We removed the end links, top links on the control arms, top strut bolts, strut pinch bolts, and unbolted the Y-looking arm from the control arm so it would be easier to remove. To get to the top strut bolts on these cars you also have to remove the cowl trim, and wiggle the windshield washer reservoir out of the way.

After working from maybe 10am-2pm here's what we were left with. Oops, looks like some adjustments up are gonna be necessary. These things go LOW!

The rears were a bitch and a half. Essentially there are two ways you can do it --

1) unbolt nearly everything connected to the lower control arm and use spring compressors to get the springs out
                  2) Drop the rear subframe enough to give you clearance to pull the springs out without compressors.

We chose option 2. It seemed like it would be easier despite the "seriousness" of dropping the subframe. Pretty simple at first -- unclip fender liner, pull it back, remove the old struts with one bolt at the bottom and two at the top. The old strut mounts had a really weird top nut that was sort of like a rectangle with 2 rounded edges. We were able to stop the shaft from rotating by using channel locks on the tube of the old struts.

Next we removed the underbody braces on each side which exposed the subframe bolts and loosened each one enough to droop the subframe down with everything attached. We only had one jack to hold the subframe in place so obviously if we totally dropped it it would be a PITA to get back in. Note concentration on my buddy's face.

It turned out that even with the subframe lowered, there still wasn't enough clearance... had to use one spring compressor on each side, hammer it down with the impact, and wiggle to get the springs out.

Lots of potential energy:

Finally, after dealing with a lower strut bolt that was apparently made of diamonds and tried to strip the threads out of the LCA we were on the ground!

You can see how low the front is in this pic. Before final adjustments. Still very excite.

After adjusting the fronts up about 1.25 inches. Note: In the future I will install coils all the way up and adjust downward instead lol. The fourth center cap is en route from Rotiform if anyone is wondering.

Pretty happy with the way the car sits, rides, and handles as of now -- although I am tracking a clunk in the right rear over isolated bumps/potholes. Going to re-torque everything on that corner tonight. It's been about 4 years since I had a low static car!

Comment

Hot damn that looks killer now
                    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                      Hot damn that looks killer now
                      Thanks man! I am really not a fan of the RSEs on this car, but the deal was too good to pass up. I might like them better in silver but then they'd be even more impossible to clean than they already are.

Gave the car a wash and was able to install the RS5 grille over the New Year's long weekend. I gotta say, I miss the two bolts it takes to remove the UrS6 bumper compared to the 30+ on the S5. Planning on retrofitting the Black Optics package, which is basically black mirrors/window trim/fog light trim/grille. Got the windows done. I will need to source the black optics fog light grilles or possibly wrap the front silver trim black -- looks kinda jumbled now IMO.

The plate frame probably doesn't fit the car but I still have to give a nod to my fun side! (And my girlfriend who bought me the plate frame as a surprise.)

Comment

Looking really good! Are you strictly Audi now with the two S cars?

@projects_always

Comment

Why.. why is there an ax in this pic?
                          Also, do people run staggered setups on these? hom much wheel can the front and rear take(width and approx offset)?
                          Thanks

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Originally posted by cblock406 View Post
                            Looking really good! Are you strictly Audi now with the two S cars?
                            Thanks! Actually yes I am -- S5 and S6. The Mazda sold in November. Not really planned or anything to have only S cars, but it just ended up that way.

Originally posted by zoo View Post

Why.. why is there an ax in this pic?
                            Also, do people run staggered setups on these? hom much wheel can the front and rear take(width and approx offset)?
                            Thanks
                            Because that's objectively the best tool to install coilovers.

You can run staggered setups as long as the tires are the same diameter. Plenty of people run 20x10, 20x11 with offsets in the 20-30 range and have room for meaty tires. I'm running 275s on a 10 +25.

Comment

Looks great lowered man! I like the black optics style trim too, I'd keep the silver mirrors though, it gives a nice contrast I think.

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                              "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                              SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X