Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLOW PROGRESS Gambia Red MK2 1.3 to Big Turbo 20v

Emphasis on the slow progress

Initially this car was meant to be a low mileage 2 owner black small bumper model that i drove around with a beautiful : 1.3 4+e that i bought from Kent.

Unfortunately, not a prayer, the original car was purchased off eBay, blind, and looked mint from the pictures. When i got down to pick the car up a different sight altogether, but it ran and had a short MOT so should have got me home. WRONG AGAIN. popped a core plug on the M25 about 2 miles from the Dartford crossing and cost me a small fortune to get home.

Anyway, after stripping the black on back to a bare shell, it was very apparent that the undercarriage rust had gone too far for me to fix alone, few quotes from decent body shops in my area returning £5k plus numbers for the welding and paint that it required.... and i was on the hunt for another mk2!

I was very fussy too so i thout it would take much longer than it did. HAD to be small bumper and archless, and by luck, a local lad Jamie Simms (some may know of him) had this mint example come up for sale just up the road from me.

Jamie had already installed a set of StillStatic H&Rs and StillStatic top mounts prior to me collecting the car, so first up was to pop some old wheels on it as the steels werent up to much being original and on original tyres.

Wound them down a little and gave it a real quick wash.

Next up was a steering wheel, fed up of hanging off the rather large typ19 Golf C steering wheel, i found a mint Votex wheel come up on eBay that some guy had just been using as a wall ornament in his garage.

I bought a "universal" Nardi steering wheel boss to fit it, which requires using your old indicator cancelor so its a bit of a faff but saves like £40 so who cares

Some of you may have spotted the RS in the background of the Votex pic, another eBay purchase

Pretty tame specs at 15x6.5 so the plan is to buy a step lip kit from SRR hardware to make them 16x7.5, facounted with as little lip as possible.

A mate of mine is building up some 17" OZ's for his oak green big bumper model, so of course i had to try them on.

For me, this has pretty much set in stone the idea of 16s as i think these would need some awful tyres to make look right.

Said MK2 here in the middle.

Next post is of the new engine i think! Thie BIG part of the project!

if you're on instagram, follow me @josh20v for updates and other pictures, only cars generally too!

Man what a great looking car
    My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Originally posted by Steven_318ti View Post
      Man what a great looking car
      Thanks mate, next up looks wise is get these wheels build and put on, in the process of buying a house at the moment though so going to take some time

Comment

NEXT UP

Engine! And although it looks like ive done this quickly... these pics are from the past 2 years
        Things soon get expensive and FAST, so ill cut to the chase, and just dump all the pictures i have in some sort of order i got them in.

the engine is built now and on a stand in storage but i dont have any pics lol im not so clever with a camera and i just cant seem to get any "arty" shots that i like but ill upload some asap

Final engine specs are

2.0L 20vt
        2.0L TFSI Crank
        Gen2 GTX3076R
        TSR Performance Exhaust Manifold with Billet Collector
        Wossner 82.5mm Pistons
        Integrated Engineering Tuscan Rods
        Integrated Engineering Inlet
        Integrated Engineering Fuel Rail
        Integrated Engineering Billet Cam Pulley
        Integrated Engineering IECVA1 Camshafts
        Ferrea Valves
        Ferrea Valve Springs
        Ferrea Retainers
        New Bronze Valve Guides
        New Valve Stem Seals
        ARP Studs
        Steel Bottom Sump with AN Oil Return

I think thats everything so far

Comment

Looks good don't see too many in that colour, engine plans look tasty too!
          Insta: @JordonVW

Comment

I'm in for more

Comment

Did a local show a few weeks back and copped some photos before too much shit turned up

Comment

Looks like a stellar chassis to build upon!

Im a huge fan of the color and the RS test fit has me sold Hurry up and get them mounted!

Looking like a solid build going forward though! Good luck and looking forward to progress

BENZWGN Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Kinghorn View Post
                  Looks like a stellar chassis to build upon!

Im a huge fan of the color and the RS test fit has me sold Hurry up and get them mounted!

Looking like a solid build going forward though! Good luck and looking forward to progress
                  Thanks mate very much appreciated, the colour of the car swings it for me tbf

few more pictures i grabbed yesterday of the engine.

too much going on in the background to make a good picture but you get the idea!

Comment

This thing is gonna be a monster!!! love it mate
                    My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
                    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Keep it up! Love mk2’s and your build makes me miss mine 😁.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh16v View Post
                        Engine came out great, can't wait!

Comment

Looks sick, gonna be insane after the 20v swap

Comment

Originally posted by Steven_318ti View Post
                            This thing is gonna be a monster!!! love it mate
                            Originally posted by Jannes123 View Post
                            Keep it up! Love mk2’s and your build makes me miss mine ��.
                            Originally posted by DawsonLiri View Post
                            Engine came out great, can't wait!
                            Thanks guys! i can't wait either! still plenty more money to spend though unfortunately, currently looking for an already built 02M 6 speed box so as to save a little, then the engine can go in as far as i know

Anyway... bit of a marmite mod, and tbf something im not too sure of myself so they'll probably get swapped out
                            A set of Treser rear lights, mega rare and fetch a silly premium for essentially a set of old lights that nobody wanted when they came out

A pic with my buddys e91, shame its not aired out in this pic too because it sits mint

Moody pic now that the nights are drawing in more and more

AND finally... i picked up the new iphone XS max last week so was trying out the camera on my girlfriends TT... its MUAD for a phone

Comment

that tt needs a build thread!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X