"Ooh another E30!" - Nobody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ooh another E30!" - Nobody

I'll try to keep this as short-winded as possible for an intro, but bear with me.

I'll harken back some years ago to the beginning of Stanceworks and my friend and I spending long hours on here looking at any and all old BMWs we could find, this is really where I started going down a dark path...

One of my favorites out is this: https://vimeo.com/14408343

ANYWAY.

Fast forward quite a few years, another of my friends had a lead on a cheap E30 shell that a kid was selling about an hour and a half away. Apparently did not run and needed a motor, but my friend being a BMW enthusiast and working at an Indie shop couldn't stop himself from prying... it was a few teeth out of time. Once back in time it ran fine, but at this time he had 6-7 cars at his house now. I was offered the car for his cost and seriously couldn't turn it down no matter how much I couldn't afford it. I was offered free storage there until I could get it out. This happened about a year and a half later.

The car was rough at first glace but had promise...

This really should be telling of the previous owner.

Upon further digging, I find that I am in fact the 8th owner and that the odometer stopped at 154xxx miles in 2002... sweet.

I slowly start moving forward on making the car look a bit classier while working through what I think is a bad FPR/Vacuum Leak. Replacing the Fuel Pressure Regulator helped a good bit but I had gotten an intake mani gasket for free so I guess I'll try that too(FAR more of a b!tch to do).

Upon coming home, black spray painted wheels and a horrid(but ironically good qualty ///M badge).

Quick spray with some Rustoleum Silver REALLY helped... and then the removal of the ///M.

At this point in ownership, I've done very minor things to the car but found alot more evidence of tom-foolery with 'repairs' or 'modifications'... namely with the audio. Something tells me brown extension cord is not the best for car audio but it is used throughout the car to bypass the factory wiring...

A short list of To-Dos:

- Redo Audio
    - Cup Holders
    - Intake Gasket
    - Oil Change
    - Source Heater Core
    - A/C Compressor and Belt
    - Valve adjustment
    - Bushings all around
    - PDR and some paint

The foreseeable Mods will be a manual swap, audio upgrade, tires, GC Spec Coilovers, Cam, Headers, Tune and whatever else I come across that tickles my fancy.

About a Month into having the car home a friend of mine reaches out to me, he just totaled his MINTY '87 325is... He wants to know if I'd like to have anything from it.
    We talk out a deal and I begin parting the car for exhange of parts. The goodies to be had are aplenty!

A friend stopped in while we snagged the motor + trans out(possibly the only people to leave the exhaust and driveshafts on while pulling the motor, ever).
    He has a BEAUTIFUL 2 owner '78 280e(USDM). Car is pretty much all original, except for a few Mercedes Classic parts under the hood. Makes me REALLY want to ditch my GLI for a W123 300D.

Anyway, I digress.

The part out process took about 5 days to have the car stripped out(with myself and the help of a few others). The only things leftover were the body, front fenders and doors. Wiring, carpet, everything was taken. All-in-all I sourced the parts needed for a manual swap, some great interior bits(MTech Wheel, More Period Headunit and BMW Premium Audio fixtures) and other random goodies such as an 885 Head, 3.73LSD, Trailer Hitch(why not), 3 Centercaps, fresh FPR, relays and fuses out the ass, and plenty of spare parts. Along with a Bentley Manual, and two filters and 5q of fresh oil.

I quickly installed the complete tool kit I snagged(sans Light Bulb), Steering Wheel, and then 'trimmed' the rear parecel shelf to fit the Premium Sound Enclosures.

Would it sound better to just have a 6x9? Probably. Would it be as cool? Never.

That's about it as of right now. I'm starting to inventory parts and clean what I have pulled. I have a front lip ordered and rear bumper trim on the way, then I'll hopefully start dailying it. I'll have some more updates up as soon as I get back to working on it!
Working...
X