The Uffda baby project W115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Uffda baby project W115

So when this thing popped up on FB for sale for $500 i had to have it. Been wanting one of these for about 10 years now but finding one not rotted in the Midwest for a good price is difficult to say the least. These are the pics that suckered me in. It was last Tuesday morning and the work day could not end soon enough. I had contacted the owner immediately because I knew this thing was going to go fast. Sent pics to my wife and begged. I had two projects going already, and 81 Ford Courier and a 1927 Model T sedan I've slowed to pretty much a halt on. The truck was my daily beater that was just fun to tinker with and beat on. The 27 I've had for a while and pretty much lost interest.
    So 5pm rolled around and I raced home to pick up the wife and head out for our 2 hour drive for my first look at this dream/nightmare project Once we arrived it was difficult to keep from smiling and not get too excited. The guy told me it "ran"... I didn't care really as I had planned an engine swap anyway. After some chatting and crawling under the car to see how bad the floors were I forked over $100 to hole until Saturday where I would bring a trailer and pick it up.

merc1.jpg merc2.jpg merc4.jpg merc3.jpg merc5.jpg

So Saturday came and I was up well before the alarm went off. With coffee and donuts in hand my wife and I hooked up the trailer and once again began our trek to pick up my latest project. We did get the car running briefly. This is when the guys son told me the oil pump had gone out and a rod bearing had spun. Huh... Well again I was not deterred as this thing is getting pure American V8 power. The drive home was uneventful and I'm grateful for that much.

merc7.jpg merc8.jpg merc9.jpg merc19.jpg merc20.jpg

Comment

So I have started to pull the engine. Temps have been in the mid 90's and humid as fuck... And that's at night. So much crap to remove just to get at the engine mounts which are literally ONE bolt. O.o I need to climb under the thing and disconnect the exhaust and drive shaft then it's ready to come out. My only concern is to make sure I don't disconnect any wiring I will need in the future. Also I notice this car has a vacuum pump that connected to the brake booster. Under If I will need that too. Will decide on accessories later. No A/C at first as all the lines and everything are shot. I will probably go custom setup later. As for suspension I will drop it static once it is running and those bugs are worked out. Later air will be installed.

merc13.jpg merc15.jpg merc23.jpg merc6.jpg merc18.jpg

Comment

Nothing to report, its gonna be like 100 degrees today with the heat index. Hoping to pull the engine and trans tomorrow. Then I cans tart cleaning the engine bay up better. I'm on vacation next week. Hoping to get more work done as well. But I have a list of chores to accomplish. Fix the wife's 94 GT A/C and replace rear brakes and struts in my daughters 89 corolla. All while trying to have some sort of "vacation" with the wife. She wants to do day trips around the state.

Comment

Working...
        X