Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you track your car spendings somehow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you track your car spendings somehow?

Hi guys!
    I am pondering creating an app for tracking car spendings. For a proof of concept, I would love to learn what are people's habits here.

Here is my example: for quite a while now, I am writing down (just Excel) every single cost related to each car I own - be it a registration fee, new turbos, wipers or final sale.
    Having this data, I can at any point of time get back to what was done to the car, when and how much it costed me. I can also compare this particular car to other cars or options (new vs. used, buying vs. leasing...) in terms of cost. Finally, it is easier for me to plan personal budget when I know average spendings e.g. for repairs, mods, etc.

And now, what about you guys? Do you do anything similar to track your car spendings? And those of you who do, what purpose do you use collected data for?

I would love to learn about your experience. Chances are good, this may contribute to creating something cool & useful

I just track my spending using a composition book in my glove box. I just record what I did, cost, mileage, and date. I usually just do it all basic but an app would help me track it a little better. Mostly I keep track of repairs, not anything like registration or smog or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by E30Panda View Post
      I just track my spending using a composition book in my glove box. I just record what I did, cost, mileage, and date. I usually just do it all basic but an app would help me track it a little better. Mostly I keep track of repairs, not anything like registration or smog or anything.
      That is exactly one of my reasons: access to the 'ownership history', how I'd call it. But on top of that - I would like to know: how much (in general) does this or that car cost me? how much of this are repairs? and fuel? what are the average monthly spendings? average cost per mile driven? what about cost of this particular modification project (consisting of several transactions)? and so on.

The downside is, that both putting every single transaction into the spreadsheets and then aggregating the detailed data - can be really cumbersome. I would like to do it in a more comfortable manner, but the apps I tried were mostly focused on tracking fuel consumption : )

Comment

If i kept track of how much money i have poured into cars, i would realise i could have bought a house or travelled the world. Its actually quite depressing to think about.
        Originally posted by anth
        Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
          If i kept track of how much money i have poured into cars, i would realise i could have bought a house or travelled the world. Its actually quite depressing to think about.
          Oh, well - but you chose to pour it into cars, so I guess this was what was/is making you happy Why to bother about the house/traveling then?

Seriously, though - there will always be people who do not want to think about what they spend, as well as some group of those who will track every penny. I think it is not as much about the money as it is about the type of brain you have.

Comment

Sometimes it makes me happy. Othertimes its chasing your tail to finish the car off. The older i get the more i realise i should have travelled more when i had less responsibilities. The older you get the more your priorities change.

Building cars you will always spend more than what you budget for. A different part will come along and you will spend more than you intended. Tracking every penny only reminds you of how much you will lose. For example if you bought an e30 couple 10 years ago when they were not expensive then you would be able to see what your profit margins are if you sell. On the other hand if you own a base model honda civic and spend 15k on it, it is unlikely you will ever get all your money back.
            Originally posted by anth
            Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
              Yea, its best not to look before jumping off the cliff.

Comment

Working...
              X