Something you have never seen: an e36!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
    yo... didnt know you had an e36, this is nice!
    Thanks man, it's just a simple daily driver for now but I'm treating her better than I ever did with the cabby LOL

@DawsonLiri don't worry man, at least we still had fun that day

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

WELCOME TO AN ABSOLUTELY NOT DEAD THREAD!

I am waiting for new year's eve with nothing to do so guess I could update this with the latest happenings.
      We coult name this:

PLANS ALWAYS CHANGE - a stanceboi's racecar dream

So, last time I left you with some pics of the complete car, and it lasted a couple of months while I really enjoyed it. Winter came tho, and since this is the daily.......I put it away for winter and now drive around in my work van. Guess I am a retard but could not throw this car in salt and snow, I'm like that, will probably need a winter hooptie sooner or later.
      Meanwhile, I had gotten a nice set of 18" Style32s I wanted to machine down in the rear to bring in the offset and was waiting on my friend to have time to do it, when both of us got the track bug. Stance plans got screwed up.
      Actually one of my dreams is driving the Nürburgring and he proposed we go next summer, but he has his Abarth and I only had two slammed low'n'slow thingies...since the Cabby is far from a track car I decided it was time to make the bmw into a more "sporty" ride so that I can go mountain carving with him and our other friends. Power is the lowest ever, but that will have to stay for now, so I got around to solve the other issues.

First thing, I **** the sloppy feeling BMW drivelines have. Flexdiscs and dual mass flywheels are terrible for driving pleasure, and old BMW shifters are so far from the wheel and have a ton of travel and play in them when you have a long knob like mine. Luckily IRP comes to the rescue with two of the best made products I've ever bought:

Short shifter and alu/poly flexdisc are guaranteed to take some dampening action out of the car, and should be easy to install.
      SHOULD BE lol

It's taking me weeks to do it while working on it only on sundays but I'm almost finished

I had to remove a good bit of interior...

But I was able to fit it without cutting all of the trim off, very happy about it. Also had to mod the only part of my interior that was already ruined by some holes the PO did, so no biggie.

While I was at it, my glovebox was starting to separate so I fixed it with some PU sealant (works wonders)

And having all the interior apart I threw the old Sony head unit back in the box and installed a JVC one that IMO looks waaay better, I like plain and simple designs on old cars

The first time I took the interior apart I was in a pinch and did not notice, but the shop that installed the hideous alarm system I removed proceeded to lose 1/3 of the bolts, so they did not put any back in not easy to see holes. I had to look for suitable sized bolts to fix that, but I'll go junkyard hunting for OEM BMW replacements in the future because I'm anal like that. Also, I'm waiting for a non-armrest center console because I **** armrests so the interior is not buttoned up yet

Lastly, having to drop the driveshaft to change the guibo means you have to remove pretty much everything around it, and that sparked another "while you are there" moment.

Crusty backbox...

And crusty midpipe...but there is a bit too much stuff on it amirite? This car always sounded like a vacuum cleaner, let's se if a little chop chop weld weld could make it sound a liiittle better.

I just happened to have a piece of pipe the right size but no elbows, so made one with piecuts. First time doing them, I'm so happy I could try and it came out pretty good for a no fucks given job.
      Gave all the exhaust a scrub/sanded it and painted it high temperature semi-gloss black that's guaranteed to make everything look pimp from a distance and not flashy if any law enforcer decides to take a peep under the car.

Did not paint the first section as it's so close to the headers it would flake off and look shit anyways but I'm thinking of going back and do it too just for the sake of OCD.

Anyways, this bring us up to date. I'm waiting on exhaust gaskets as mine were so old they flaked off in my hands, and on a little something to cover up the gaping hole left by the shifter boot that's now impossible to fit. Also I may have found everything I need to consider the exterior finished, if the guy selling that doesn't cut me off.

As for wheels. 18s are the right size on e36s in my opinion (yeah **** me now) but they are too big to fit with decent tyres without having to raise the coilovers, so I was thinking about buying some Rota D154s

Not in blue obviously, but although I think reps are ok for track abuse I'm still a classic wheels lover and a stanceboi, and my street credibility would drop immensely if I went to a meet with fake Compomotives (yeah lol). Also I want a driveable car, but it will still be low, some stretch action will happen, and I want cool wheels.
      Soooooo...I found a deal on some OZ Futura faces to build in perfect specs, and out the window goes the "I'm not gonna spend 2k in wheels on a 2k car". Will show them when they get there as I don't like teasing.

So that is all for now, maybe if you have suggestion on a "sporty" finish for the new wheels feel free to share it as I can't decide what to do, for now I think faces will be white and lips brushed but still not sure.

Future plans, for a somewhat distant future because funds are not bottomless, include an engine swap (either M50B25 and turbo with a 300-350hp goal but expensive and illegal AF, or M54b30 NA hoping for 230-240hp), big brakes up front, and other little upgrades...and still keeping this my summer daily driver.

Sorry for long post and no potato.
      Thanks for reading, and have the happiest new year!
      Last edited by Fruttolo; 12-31-2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Oh I love that shifter, it looks fantastic.

I feel your pain on the "while I'm in there" problem. Seems like every project starts with simple intentions, but always spirals into a million other little odd jobs. Just part of the hobby I suppose haha.

Comment

Originally posted by bwwaaaa View Post
          Oh I love that shifter, it looks fantastic.

I feel your pain on the "while I'm in there" problem. Seems like every project starts with simple intentions, but always spirals into a million other little odd jobs. Just part of the hobby I suppose haha.
          It's the fun part, if you can avoid thinking about money the shifter really is awesome, I sit in it shifting 1st to 5th and back making vroom vroom noises now and then while I wait for parts LOL

On the positive side, read "parts coming in instead of wandering in some van around europe", I got my wheels...or the first part of them

Obligatory mockup shot while I took the first measurements and realised I'll have to go crazy to fit "big" brakes in these

And for fun, put them on the scale as they looked rather heavy...was guessing 5kg each but they're actually a bit less

Bye to whoever still reads forums LOL

Comment

Forum reader: nice job on fitting the shifter, looks great. Also, good score on the centers. Now go wide and big
            "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
            Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

good stuff going on in here, you are doing some great marketing for IRP....

Comment

Thank you both guys

Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                good stuff going on in here, you are doing some great marketing for IRP....
                I actually like mentioning businesses I am satisfied with, not sponsored at all obviously (sure wish I was LOL, their prices are pretty affordable but still set me back a good half of a paycheck ), just user feedback

As for going wide and big...this time I'm trying to fit wheels to a car instead of building a car around wheels as I'm used to, so I guess the result will have a little less "wow factor"...but a little more functionality

Comment

Uh, Black E36 and Futura... where did I already see them?
                  Well at least you don't buy a set of Rota... yet

Comment

Really enjoying this build, shifter is great, im wanting do something like this with my own E36, not that il ever really get the full benefit from it, but i too sit and make vroom vroom noises while shifting lol
                    My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
                    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                      It's the fun part, if you can avoid thinking about money the shifter really is awesome, I sit in it shifting 1st to 5th and back making vroom vroom noises now and then while I wait for parts LOL
                      Been there when I got my new shifter and solid mounts(Vroom vroom). Love the way this car is coming along. What are you ultimate goals for the car? Are you planning on tracking it?
                      I just need something to go from point A to point B
                      so i bought 3 bmws
                      @cressidodd

Comment

Originally posted by cressidodd View Post
                        Been there when I got my new shifter and solid mounts(Vroom vroom). Love the way this car is coming along. What are you ultimate goals for the car? Are you planning on tracking it?
                        Thanks guys!
                        Actually I plan on doing a few trackdays but nothing "serious" or with times in mind, just some fun sundays with friends. I'd like this to become a quick but clean street car with nice stance, nothing extreme so no slamming it 1/2" off the ground but no 6-point rollcage and stripped interior either LOL
                        I already have my mk1 to play with when I feel like being very stupid

Comment

Wellll as every sunday here lately weather is shit, can't open my garage doors to work on the mk1, so update it is

Bad news is Futura plans got screwed, faces had too low of a backpad and could not build them to fit big brakes up front without running massive spacers and I was not happy about it. Sold them in a heartbeat for €10 more than I paid for them shipped so can't complain

Good news is I got a bunch of OEM parts to complete the exterior

Sadly, some retard decided the holes bmw provided to fit the front were not nice enough and slammed two more screws in the otherwise pristine front bumper

So, tomorrow it's going to the bodyshop so they can fix this crap, and I'm also having it polished cause I'm really tired of the swirls. Also yes, that is a repro "m3" lower grille and it's the only fake part I have on this car, but could not stand the slats anymore.
                          Another funny thing the PO decided was the right thing to do was wrap the tow hook cover in the worst vinyl ever instead of ordering a new one

So, since it's a $20 piece of plastic, I painted it and put a hole in it so when I go to the track I can screw in the tow hook without having a gaping hole in my trim. I will order all new front and rear trim when I'm finished with the rest since none of it is in very good shape.

Now having sold the futuras I decided to refurb my Style32 and run them for a bit, just because I did not want to sell them without seeing them on the car, and because I actually love them and think they're the best wheels ever for an e36.
                          Bought new OEM center caps of course

And fitted them with some 215/35/18s in the rear and 195/35/18 Achilles in the front. Those Achilles are hands down the worst tyre I have ever had by the way :rotfl

So here is the complete look for now, I really like it but I'm waiting for the springs to sag a bit because I'd like the rear to come down a couple cms, we'll see

Shitty pics I know but as a bonus Friday I went to a meet and snapped a couple pics with my friend's car now that they're almost twins

People was hella confused about our cars for some reason LOL

Sadly, the 32s won't stay because they need too much camber to fit in the rear so they are for sale, I'll probably run them to Wörthersee and then take them off since the best news of all is: I bought more wheels LOL
                          They're racing wheels, made to order by an Italian company, very light and reasonably priced, can't wait to have them in my hands! They're due for late April.
                          I'm now going to try and decide what size tyres I want to run, wheels are 9x17 square and I want a semislick, trying to decide between Nankang NS2Rs in 215/45/17 or Federal RS-Pros in 215/40/17. Don't want crazy stretch for obvious performance reasons, but I want some and will keep the car the lowest I can without smashing bumper to ground at the track. Had my first trackday 2 weeks ago as a passenger in a friend's abarth, and absolutely loved it so can't wait to drive.

That's all for now, I got a couple more things ordered to dial in the driving position/feel even more, and a big question I'd like to receive help with:
                          Is it possible that having forgot to mark the propshaft, thus not reinstalling it "the correct orientation", would make it vibrate hard if I hit a bump at 150-160kmh? It doesn't rattle in any other case than that. Smooth sailing, bump, crazy vibration that doesn't stop until I slow down to 60-70kmh. Then if I accelerate again nothing happens. Also if hitting bumps at any other speed nothing happens, and it vibrated a bit at the same speed before changing the guibo but not nearly that bad. I am baffled, for real. If anyone can suggest what to check/do it would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi all!
                            This is the last update before Wörth, can't wait to leave for Austria!

The car is still the same, but I had it polished and sealed

Funny enough my cats managed to scratch it again by jumping up and down the roof and trunk so kind of pointless, sadly.
                            Also was tyred of sagging on my seat and falling off the sides so I purchased overpriced Driftworks e36-specific brackets and installed my Sparco Pro2000 I got from a friend for a super deal.

My tiny extinguisher fits perfectly in the flat spot left so extra RACEKOR points here

Changed my plugs (that were all crusty and not tight at all...guess I found the weird pfpfpfpf sound I heard) nd that's all until may 21 when I come back home to my new wheels and (I hope) tyres so I can prep for my first trackday on june 2

Oh, I drove this junk for 5000kms since I got it so happy b-day

On a bad note, the vibration source is still unknown, even tho I did not have it happen again, I secretly hope next time I have to highway drive it's magically gone. Some friends and I think it's the rear diff's bushings, but they don't look ruined at all. I'll switch to all poly engine, trans and diff bushings when funds allow to see if I can solve that annoying problem, but am not sure.

Well, if anyone still reads this, bye and wave if you see me in Austria!
                            I'm out

Comment

I love the seat. Car is legitimo, I must say. Funny how cars like yours make me see the e36 in a very different way (I used to despise it).
                              Have a great time at Wörthersee!
                              I'll wait for the picture dump when you get back
                              "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                              Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Simple clean and purposeful. I like it
                                E34 build thread link
                                http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...42#post1613542

Follow me on insta
                                e_dirty_4

Comment

Working...
                                X