No announcement yet.

Something you have never seen: an e36!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy crap this is nice. All the color matching and uniformity in style is looking sharp. Killing it with the interior too!

Comment

Thank you guys, I appreciate a lot <3

Now this will sadly be a pictureless update, because the car did not make it to Austria. It's the first time I am left stranded by one of my cars since I usually like to prevent more than fix, but my preventing lead me in the wrong direction this time.

Trip was going solid, car was comfy, we had music blasting and cruising at ~110, then 350kms from home suddenly the car began shaking. Do you remember the vibration I could not wrap my mind around? Well here it was, but this time wasn't going away. Pulled off the highway, found a tiny mechanic shop and had it looked under, everything was tight but the rearmost u-joint in the driveshaft was toast. Turns out those poly guibos are JUNK if you don't switch to a one-piece shaft, and they eat ujoints like nothing. My friends and I began searching for a new propshaft and luckily found one nearby, went to grab it, had it installed and tried to continue the trip. Sadly, the "new" shaft was old and crusty and the rubber guibo was not salvageable, so we had to put the poly one back in, figured if the old one lived 3-4000kms before giving up the "new" one would at least bring us 900kms to austra and back.

WRONG.
      100kms after leaving the shop, we started to hear a noise we interpreted as a destroyed support bearing. It was indeed, and 20kms after that the rear ujoint shat the bed again. We were now near the border, at a late hour, with a broken car and no ideas how to fix it. Luckily car people always know a lot of car people and we managed to get ahold of a friend of a friend who could store the car at his house until I could get back, but that meant the E36's Wörthersee trip was done. No Austria for the most reliable car I ever had, that I managed to render unreliable by triying to enhance the reliability. Live and learn they say, but I was totally dishearted and thought to not continue the trip altogether, but my friends managed to keep me up and luckily at least it still was an amazing experience and I will go back next year with the car to finish what I started this year.
      Yesterday we got back, another friend brought a driveshaft and guibo, another mechanic friend swapped it on, and we rolled back home without any hiccup. Bless friends for always being friends and helping out even when they are friends' friends and never met you in their life, that's why the car community always manages to make me, an antisocial by nature, feel part of something.

I hope to be able to post some rollers another friend shot on the way home, when he can edit them. For now sorry for the longest post, it was one hell of an adventure.

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Awesome post, disappointed for you not getting the car to Worthersee but at least you made it there in person and had a great time, glad the car made it home and looking forward to seeing the pics :-)
        My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
        http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
          Bless friends for always being friends and helping out even when they are friends' friends and never met you in their life, that's why the car community always manages to make me, an antisocial by nature, feel part of something.
          This, plus one.

Happy you still had a great time AND fixed the problem eventually.
          "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
          Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Unfortunate turn-out for the trip, but I laughed at "...for the most reliable car I ever had, that I managed to render unreliable by triying to enhance the reliability."

I have been there before.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven_318ti View Post
              Awesome post, disappointed for you not getting the car to Worthersee but at least you made it there in person and had a great time, glad the car made it home and looking forward to seeing the pics :-)
              Thanks man, the good thing about misfortunes like these is the memories and stories we could tell in the future haha

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
              This, plus one.

Happy you still had a great time AND fixed the problem eventually.
              Thanks, dunno if it is actually fixed, can't say I trust an unknown used driveshaft and guibo too much but at least now I don't expect no abrupt failure

Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
              Unfortunate turn-out for the trip, but I laughed at "...for the most reliable car I ever had, that I managed to render unreliable by triying to enhance the reliability."

I have been there before.
              Yeah right? Guess we all goof up every how and then

Comment

We have one nice picture, and a little video turned into the longest ass gif ever LOL
                Driving/filming is my friend Dany in his widebody Miata (@type0negative on insta) and black s13 is @diego_s13

Comment

Cool shot!
                  "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                  Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Update, bitchez!

This car is livin' the life lately, driving it like it was stolen every day. I'm gonna break it sooner or later. Again.
                    That being said, I got my new wheels, and my new tyres!
                    It's hard to switch from hella fitted 18s to "trackboi" stance, but I'm starting to like it...wheels are EvoCorse Sanremozero, proper racing wheel in "race" spec (no center caps and I think less layers of paint), 9x17 et40 all around with 215/40/17 Federal 595RS-R.

Obviously what do you think happens for a week when you get semislicks? It rains.

Feel like a drifter *insert "like a boss" old meme here*

Here are two shitty pics of the new setup

I had it aligned, front is -3.5* camber and 0.02* toe out, rear is -2.5* camber and 0 toe. I had to put 15mm spacers up front to clear coilovers and wheels are perfectly flush, and I'd need a little spacer in the rear right now but my 10mms don't fit these wheels and I have to get them machined a little before I can install them.
                    You may be wondering why did I have wheels made with such an high offset just to put spacers on them, and the reason is I may want to put bigger tyres on at some point and the maths are done for 255/40s to (hopefully) fit in the rear.

Now for the exciting part!
                    I had my first trackday as a driver yesterday! And bought a legit pic as a souvenir LOL

Yes, I wear bright pink gloves and proud.

I sucked major ass, pretty much, but had a wonderful time. I wasnt THAT slow per se, but for sure am not a clean driver, and the car has a BIG problem that doesn't help: it completely lacks brakes. First round I was conservative, not hitting on them too much (it was a small track but really twisty) and just managed to have the pedal go mushy a bit at the end, but second round I tried to get better times, managed to drop my best lap from 1.38 to 1.34 but completely got the brakes cooked 4 laps before the end. Just for perspective, a 400whp big turbo ep3 goes 1:20, a nearly stock one went 1:33.

Also, being I did not want to kill the brakes (even tho I managed to still do it) my corner entrances were a bit too fast and this thing understeers a lot. 90% I'm sure is driver error, but I'll try to get it to stop. Had a pair of clean fast laps but those were what completely got the brakes outta here.
                    Adding to surprises, 18k springs that feel like solid bar on the street feel just about right at the track, and the car rolls side to side like a boat. I think I still want to get softer springs, but for sure will need bigger anti-roll bars.
                    Tyres, I don't know if I like them or not. On the street they are more than enough, but they let completely go after 4-5 hard laps on track. Still, I'm sure 90% is my fault for beating on them too much without need, so I will not judge the tyre nor the size I'm using before I can clean the driving a bit. Engine, let's skip it car is painfully slow, but I have to say it lived happily at 6k rpm for 1 hour and never had an hiccup so there's its strenght.

Enough rambling for today, as always sorry for long post, here's a potato on bananas.

I'm out!

Comment

Say no to drugs, say yes to life!

Comunque Banana per sempre

Comment

Digging the new track wheels, get some real sized tires on there
                        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                          Digging the new track wheels, get some real sized tires on there
                          Thanks!
                          I have proper size tyres, remember I am a stanceboi at heart
                          All jokes aside, let's face the truth, this turd has barely enough hp to turn 215s atm...

Comment

Yes, love it on the 17’s!

@projects_always

Comment

Things have happened, and bigger things are happening right now for this car.
                              I built a backbox for it so it now sounds like a damn thunder instead of a ricey honda. Neighbors love it. Now while I brew the finest of hype updates this thread will ever see, enjoy some pics @dawsonliri took yesterday while we were out wasting time with friends in the left-unwashed-since-mid-july racekor

By the way I really need to do the brakes, there must be some problem like air in the system cause if I push the pedal, then release it a bit and push again it goes to the floor. Weird thing tho is if I apply constant pressure they work as they should. Hope not to rearend anyone while I wait for parts to show up lolz
                              Last edited by Fruttolo; 08-11-2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

A sound clip of the new exhaust wouldn't hurt...

Excited for the hype-dates coming up

Comment

Working...
                                X