I've got a dream: BMW powered RatRod/T-bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roller chassis with drivetrain:

With the weight of the drivetrain those rear shocks compressed pretty far, almost bottomed out. With suspension crunch they would bottom out. These are another set with more travel range and stiffer springs. It kind of has a 70's land yacht cushy feel to the spring, and they haven't bottomed out with test suspension bouncing.

The axles do look rather nerdy with the upward angle, but I'm loving the ride height like this.

Rear sway bar kit on order.

Comment

Ride height is perfect, new shocks look pretty thin compared to the car tho

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Looks really good man!!

Comment

Mounting a rear sway bar. Need to modify the design a bit to work on the vehicle, but found a good mounting spot at the rear radius arm mounts.

Comment

On a parts hold, might as well take some pics:

Comment

It looks way bigger with you in it!
              Really cool seeing it outside. Is there any way you could dial out the rear camber or match it in the front?

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                It looks way bigger with you in it!
                Really cool seeing it outside. Is there any way you could dial out the rear camber or match it in the front?
                Right! And I'm 6'1" 240lbs

Yes, that's the plan. I need to shim the upper axles away from the brake rotors, that'll fix the rear negative camber.
                Last edited by Mykk; 05-12-2019, 06:23 PM.

Comment

This weekends project; Finished the rear anti-roll bar. Made fuel tank straps. Lowered the radiator mounting so the supercharger pulley peeks just above the grill, started sectioning the grill for ground clearance.

Comment

This just looks awesome, love the fuel tank and how you made the pulley peek out. Now you need a magnetic drive pulley and one of these

Parts for Electric Power Distribution, Circuit Protection, Heavy Duty HVAC, Industrial Lubrication, and more

and you can go full Mad Max on us. Please do it
                    "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                    Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• Moved the car to my work to sit on display for a a couple weeks for an event that came through town. Made fuel lines while the project was at work.

I did the fuel lines as best I could with the materials I had available. I tried to run hard line as much as possible, I'd make the line, kink a bend, start over. I got to the point where I was running out of hard line, so when a bend would kink I'd just cut it there and run steel braided line. Not the cleanest, but it'll work. I'll cut the body in the rear for the hard lines off the tank to disappear into.

Comment

• Cool fuel system, braided lines look proper too
                        What do you do for a living, work in a "speed shop"? Guess this car makes for an awesome advertisement

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                          Cool fuel system, braided lines look proper too
                          What do you do for a living, work in a "speed shop"? Guess this car makes for an awesome advertisement
                          I work the front end of a machine shop. Block surfacing, bore/honing, line hone, connecting rod sizing, cylinder head surfacing, valve jobs, engine building. I personally do the phones, invoicing, parts ordering, front counter stuff.

Comment

• The bare skeleton of the steering gearbox mounting is in place. Still need to gusset, box in, support and brace everything to remove flex and lock everything down. But it's steady enough to cut body around steering.

Broom handle for mock steering rod off the pitman:

Comment

• Finished sectioning the grill to fit a chopped insert.

The body, grill & headlight buckets are off to paint. Here's a little hint:

Comment

• With the steering gearbox mounted the upside down M3 manifolds point right at the steering arm:

SO I'm on the hunt for headers using engines that have a similar enough bore spacing, exhaust port spacing and flange design that I can modify them to work on the BMW V8. This is an inexpensive set from a 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0, flipped upside down naturally.

The passenger side fits beautifully. The drivers side, not so much. It sits a bit wonky, won't clear the corner of the body and of course the tubes line right up with the steering arm.

So the hunt continues, I've got a few more engine options to explore before needing chop things up and piece my own header together.

Comment

Working...
                                X