Opinions wanted on redrilling options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions wanted on redrilling options

I recently picked up a set of centerlock wheels with the intent to redrill them. I came up with 3 options and am undecided on which to go for. Let me know what you like best.

Option 1: Requires tuner lugs. Standard lug seat dimensions. Results in a thin section between the new holes and the outside diameter.

Option 2: Requires tuner lugs and extended studs. Standard lug seat dimensions. Minimizes the thin section and maintains a full lug seat.

Option 3: Requires extended studs. Eliminates thin section but also reduces lug seat contact area. Standard diameter lugs can be used.

Imo option 2 seems to be the most reasonable...

Do they need to be 4 lug, if the car is 4x100 you could do them in 5x100 or equivalent with a 114 pcd...
    Or Centerlock adapter, the lugs to fasten the adapter could also be used as the drivepins?

Comment

After having sat on this idea a while, I also decided option 2 was the best. It's only ~15mm thicker than standard mounting thickness, so that's not unreasonable for extended studs... heck, it might even fit some standard length studs.

The drive pin pattern is 12 pins on 3.75" PCD, so a 4 bolt pattern makes the most sense... even more so being 15". Of anything that could fit, 4x100 is by far the most common and useful.

Comment

I like all of them! I think that it is not unreasonable for extended studs! The previous comments state the same!
        sociology research paper

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
          After having sat on this idea a while, I also decided option 2 was the best. It's only ~15mm thicker than standard mounting thickness, so that's not unreasonable for extended studs... heck, it might even fit some standard length studs.

The drive pin pattern is 12 pins on 3.75" PCD, so a 4 bolt pattern makes the most sense... even more so being 15". Of anything that could fit, 4x100 is by far the most common and useful.
          Have you thought about ligs like these...

I don't know if you have enough space to fit these but they would give you more engatement between the stud and the nut...

Old (like very old) SSRs use a flat style wascher with that type of lug and i think some BBE E30 used these as well, could save you
          some trouble as you don't have to worry about the lug seat...
          Attached Files

Comment

Interesting option, but it looks like the clearance needed for the washer is more than what's needed for a tuner style lug.

Bought a set of tuner lugs today to confirm some measurements. I did an engineering drawing and sent it out for quote over the weekend. Got a few bites, and I'm stopping by one shop tomorrow morning. Should have a shop selected by the end of the week. The point of this whole project is to see who's interested in doing wheel machining locally, what their pricing is, and hopefully end up with some good service. Our old go-to shop closed a few months ago.

Comment

Here's the final product:

Comment

Can't really make my mind on is this something I'd do. It might be just fine, but those two holes look to be dangerously near the edge. I sure hope this works!

Comment

Working...
                X