Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R56 Cooper S - Car enthusiast worthy or Teenage girl's dream?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R56 Cooper S - Car enthusiast worthy or Teenage girl's dream?

What's up SW, Like many, I've been a long time lurker of the forums and have finally decided to start contributing to the spectacular community here. I really dislike how a lot of the scene has moved to IG and Facebook to update builds; this has always been my preferred platform.

Name's Alex, I'm 22 from Kansas City and currently the owner of a 2012 Mini Cooper S. I look at threads within the 'Builds' section generally as more innovative and meticulous long term projects, whereas this does not deserve that title. I will however be updating this post regularly as it progresses here and there.

I grew up always around 'cool' whips. My dad has made his way through a couple Porsche 944 turbos, FC RX7, '65 mustang, '67 fastback, 350z, and currently restoring a '64 Thunderbird. I remember being little and being rewarded with Hot Wheels for just about anything I did right and would "help" pops work on his rides even though most the time it was nothing more than holding a flashlight and chasing after tools/being blamed for losing tools.

So like a lot of us, I never stood a chance. My first car was a 2001 Isuzu Trooper. I was the fourth owner (all within the family) and she was a beaut. But didn't last long. Next was a WRX bugeye wagon. I was obsessed with that thing. Half a year later, I had riced it out nicely.... 5zigen wheels, intake, turbo back exhaust, hella horns and rally lights, the whole she-bang.

But it was an auto. Nope.

Next car was a 2009 Mini Cooper S. I wanted something that wasn't extremely 'played out' and was a bit more practical than a 2 seat coupe (or so i told myself.. lol)
    I bought the car from an older woman and got jokes from my friends all the time about its teenage girl fan following. But also lots of compliments from "our kind." Car had a couple bolt ons, BC coils, some AMG wheels that people either loved or *****. But I never really got into this car. It had 3 or 4 separate gasket leaks and a bit of an electrical issue. The BC's I'm 99% sure were not the right model, as the photos below show how low they got me MAXED OUT and I had spoken to other low r56's who had the same coils and were laying frame with no other mods. I bought the Extreme Lows but then contacted BC about my concern of not having the right model; they told me they don't even make Extreme Lows for my car... weird. Not much of a BC fan.

Then this happened.

That sucked.

For a new car, I looked at a few GTI's and Volvo c30's but I quickly realized they didn't have the charm that I felt with the Mini. So, like a magnificent Phoenix, my fallen vision to make a cool Mini had risen from the ashes as a newer, stronger, brighter version of its old self: a 2012 Chili Red Cooper S. Compared to the first one, I have been extremely satisfied with this car. This gen was built between '07 and '13. But in 2011, it got a major mid-gen update. New bumpers, headlights, taillights, more powerful, less faulty engine, quicker throttle response, etc. I'm sure someone else could have more insight on this topic. The biggest factor why I wanted this car was the interior. All black trim, with wood grain accents and OEM Recaro seats, a $3k option from the factory, all made me realize I 'had' to have this one. I'll post photos of interior eventually...

I really wish I was able to take more photos of the things I've done so far, but unfortunately didn't. It has a long way to go, but as of now I'm happy with it. The air suspension doesn't get me nearly low enough, it's honestly very disappointing. I tried working with Airtekk to get them lower but they're not much help. I should've just went with Airlift/Airrex. But oh well, It's not the biggest of my worries right now. Since it's current suspension doesn't allow for it to be slammed on its nuts, I'm leaning more towards a functional/track aesthetic. I drive this car 70 miles a day, including several weeks of intense snow and ice and it did great. I personally like how its looking so far, and I still have the ability to do some seriously spirited driving much harder than all my buddies with static garage queens

Current mods (or lack thereof):

2012 Cooper S
    6 speed Manual
    17x7.5 OG Volk TE37C's
    Airlift V2 management system
    Airtekk airstruts
    JB+ tuning piggyback ECU tune
    Drilled and slotted rotors
    Fubrication GP Wing
    eBay hood scoop
    dechromed light/grille trim
    20% tint all around
    m12 stud conversion
    Rear Seat delete with False Floor

I currently have full exhaust, front lip, and side skirts all sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. The wheels are getting restored as well, which I'll put in a follow up post. Just received a spare set of OEM front fenders as well that I will be cutting up to add some super rad non functional vents.

Future hopeful mods:

Functional CAI
    short shift adapter w/ weighted shift knob
    ebay intercooler
    air flow pipe bits
    Manic Custom Tune
    And more along the way

I don't really plan to sink too much time/money into this car, as its a daily that will slowly but surely get beat down and also I am working towards a Cayman S within the next couple years. But still want this to progress a bit.
    Last edited by Hvmbone; 04-22-2018, 05:57 PM. Reason: Thread also posted to Builds. Need this one deleted.

I moved this thread to the Builds section found here: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...42#post1593342

Mods please delete this thread.

Comment

Working...
    X