Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WANTED!!!! Car, USA (California/San Fran/West Coast)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANTED!!!! Car, USA (California/San Fran/West Coast)

Ok, so in September I am coming over to America and doing a coast to coast trip which is taking me almost 10,000 miles in 90 days, I am starting in San Francisco and driving all the way across the country (mostly down the bottom/south than up north. I will include a photo of my map. I also plan on posting a thread for my trip and updating it along route...

now I am after a car to do this trip in. my budget is $4,200 for the car... now that is my total budget I don't want to buy the car for that total amount the plan is to find a car for circa $3,000 or less and spend the additional amount on doing preventative maintenance so it doesn't crap out on me.

please let me know what you have an be realistic about it. I am happy to send money electronically or have a friend of mine come check the car out if needed.

I am quite open in what I am going to have just as long as its comfy, cool and fun. so German, American, maybe Japanese not bothered if its a coupe, saloon, wagon or truck/4x4.

Here is the most up to date version of my route,

Untitled by ben walsh, on Flickr
    Last edited by Benwalsh91; 04-12-2018, 06:22 AM. Reason: updated route map
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

I would keep a look out on sfbay.craigslist.com. From my experience, a $4,000 car is going to be 5 times better than a $3,000 car.
    Anyway's tons of late 90's early 00's 4Runners would probably fit that budget, a plus if you ever need to sleep in your car, I have one and there's plenty of space for all my stuff and me in the back seats.

Last, at least in CA, it's illegal to not have car insurance. I don't know how that works with you coming from the UK, but something to keep in mind

Comment

Originally posted by qboasso View Post
      I would keep a look out on sfbay.craigslist.com. From my experience, a $4,000 car is going to be 5 times better than a $3,000 car.
      Anyway's tons of late 90's early 00's 4Runners would probably fit that budget, a plus if you ever need to sleep in your car, I have one and there's plenty of space for all my stuff and me in the back seats.

Last, at least in CA, it's illegal to not have car insurance. I don't know how that works with you coming from the UK, but something to keep in mind
      hello thank you!

I have been looking in SF bay area craiglist and keep seeing a few cars pop up, thankfully I have a couple friends in SF and LA so looking in those areas as I got people who can go check the cars out and potentially buy/keep/store for me until I arrive. if I get a car in LA I don't mind renting a car for the first couple weeks whilst I travel between the two.

I have noticed about the difference in quality of cars between those prices and I was leaning more towards what you said about finding a $4,000 car instead. I have an e36 touring 328 which I wish I could bring over but its 23 years old and you guys have that silly 25 year rule sucks as it would have been awesome to use out there and get a lot of attention.

My insurance in the UK is fully comprehensive and it covers me to drive cars in England and Europe and it covers me to drive in America but classed as third party in America so it will only cover the people I crash into if I crash into someone. which is better than nothing but I will look at what I would need to do to get an insurance policy there as it may just be easier and safer for us as it would be horrific if anything happened.
      Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Look at 2005 2006 saabs. Over here, people took care of them. And they are priced right, with 100k + on the speedo. I just did a quick search and saw some nicely maintained examples, in the Frisco zip code.

Comment

Up

Comment

honestly, you guys are amazing thank you for the help with this! Saab is a good shout too and a good solid car aswell!!

I have an e36 328 touring which I am trying to find a way to get over there for my trip and looking for any loop holes in your 25 year rule!!
            Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Just buy a 1993 tvr chimaera, drive it for your trip, then I buy it from you. Or bring over a Golf Country. Or a 92 Evo.

I'll stop now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobskirpy View Post
                Just buy a 1993 tvr chimaera, drive it for your trip, then I buy it from you. Or bring over a Golf Country. Or a 92 Evo.

I'll stop now.
                haha a TVR probably wont even make it to the port in the UK before it breaks down let alone across America!!!
                Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Definitely not at that price point.

Comment

So I can have my touring shipped to Canada and then register it there and drive it through the boarder to use for my trip... anyone got any experience for doing anything like this or can give any advice?

speaking of Saabs there is a lovely 900 turbo down the road from where I work just abandoned in the street, I have never seen it moved.

pics of my touring:

Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

So, I have searched everyway possible and basically its not possible for me to get the wagon into the USofA so...

I may have bought something but I will update you on that once its a sure thing. My friend in Cali is going to go check the car out for me and make sure everything is all good.

if its a go go would you guys like me to set up a separate thread for all the planning and the car and updates of the trip?
                      Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Oooooh cool trip! Eager to see what you've found.

Comment

Working...
                        X