Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Stuff and Things; E39 540i

Evenin’,

Long-time lurker, but new to posting. I recently came into ownership of a ’98 540i, and plan on having a play with it, so thought I’d have a go at documenting the progress on here.

I wanted an early but relatively low-mileage, SE spec M62B44 (non-vanos) manual. Something that didn’t need much work, to make a reliable daily whilst my other E39 (’02 Sport) comes off the road for some fettling. So of course, instead I ended up with an auto, with in excess of 200k miles on the odometer, in need of work to pass the MOT which was about to run out… Why? It was offered to me at a silly price, and I couldn’t really say no. The 2hr drive home was excellent, and the rear silencer delete put a smile on my face.

As well as driving well, it’s had a few nice additions such as M5 front brakes and a slight lowering. It’ll be getting a more comprehensive suspension upgrade, but what exactly is still to be decided.

It’s a tired old thing in appearance, but wears its miles with pride, and has actually been looked after very well, with an impressively cohesive service history for its age, mileage and number of former keepers. Nonetheless, I started tearing into it as soon as I got it back to the unit, selling the wheels before anything else. It was sat on non-staggered Style 66 wheels – not great…

Progress has been painfully slow, mainly due to me deciding it would be a good idea to drop the engine and do some preventative maintenance, or in other words; rebuild it so I can give it some hell when I’m done. So whilst I’m ordering all manner of parts from BMW, here’s where the car’s currently at:

However, I’ve been making progress with the interior. I’ll update this with more pictures soon. In the meantime, here’s the other E39 - the one which was meant to be the main project right now, but will have to be kept in use for a few more months:

Though this afternoon, it looked a little less glamorous:

Last edited by thirtynine; 04-06-2018, 04:57 AM.

Scottish idiot with an unhealthy E39 obsession... @scumbag_mike

Looks like you'll be having a good time! Good luck with everything

Comment

I love me a good E39, your blue one is gorgeous (more pics of that please!), can't wait to see where to take the latest one!

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
      "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
      SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Nice choice, I've always liked e39s.

Comment

Originally posted by nosgood View Post
          Looks like you'll be having a good time! Good luck with everything
          Thanks!

Originally posted by 19birel View Post
          I love me a good E39, your blue one is gorgeous (more pics of that please!), can't wait to see where to take the latest one!
          The blue one is near boggo (standard), and getting really rough now since it's been battered and neglected for two winters on the bounce now, but once the black one is on the road, I'll be getting stuck into it! I'm sure there will be more pictures of it here and there!

Originally posted by eurowheels View Post
          Nice choice, I've always liked e39s.
          Same. Really wanted an M5, but can't realistically afford to run and maintain one at present - prioritising sucks! Still, got these two so can't complain

Comment

thats all fine and good, but what's up with that mk1?

Comment

Originally posted by duct-tape View Post
              thats all fine and good, but what's up with that mk1?
              Mk1 Caddy getting rebuilt. Not far off getting paint now. I'll add some pictures in here when it's painted.

Comment

Nice choice for second e39

what will you do with S-EDC suspension? tear everything out and put coilovers or tune it with different springs? Eibach pro, Mtech MK1 OEM, Lowtec can be nice choice

for preventive maintanence on engine replace next:

-chain and all plastic parts around it
                -tensioner
                -oil separator
                -CCV membrane on rear side of mainfold
                -water pump and complete water hoses

Comment

Originally posted by CaleCro View Post
                  Nice choice for second e39

what will you do with S-EDC suspension? tear everything out and put coilovers or tune it with different springs? Eibach pro, Mtech MK1 OEM, Lowtec can be nice choice

for preventive maintanence on engine replace next:

-chain and all plastic parts around it
                  -tensioner
                  -oil separator
                  -CCV membrane on rear side of mainfold
                  -water pump and complete water hoses
                  Thanks, It's already lowered with springs, but I'm thinking of going for BC coilovers for this one (as I don't want to spend too much on this for now), and Eibach coilovers for the blue one (comfort is quite important in the blue one).

Engine wise, it's getting the following, but I suspect more will be added as we go along:

Rocker gaskets
                  Chain guides
                  Chain tensioner
                  Drive chain
                  Cam chains
                  CCV (oil separator)
                  Water pump
                  Thermostat
                  Valve seals
                  Head gaskets
                  Rod bearings
                  Filters (fuel, air and oil)

As well as this, I'll likely replace all the vac lines whilst the engine is out, and a lot of the coolant hosing.

Comment

Ooooh, I love the e39.

In fact, I really, really, really fancy an SE specced Touring. Hmm.

Looking to see what you're going to do with it mate!

Comment

Well, not an awful lot of progress has been made due to work commitments, but I have just bought these, so not all hope is lost...

Not picked them up yet, so these are the pictures from the ad. They're BBS E28 centrelocks in 18", which is pretty much exactly what I've been lusting after for a few years now.

Hopefully, more updates will follow soon, but probably not... this project has turned into a slow burner.
                      Last edited by thirtynine; 05-24-2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Those are gonna look gooood!

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                        "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                        SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Had half an hour spare recently, so decided to mock up the fronts on the daily, and see how much space I have to play with. Loads, it turns out:

Sadly, things aren't moving fast with this AT ALL. I simply haven't had the time to even go near the car this past month or so, except for one afternoon during which I started to strip the front end and prep for the engine pull.

I did however manage to actually drive the other one when I finally got a day off with my girlfriend. This is a rare thing indeed, and needed documenting...

If you ignore the rust, it doesn't even look too bad for a daily beater......ish.

Comment

Been another busy two months, but not with the cars. All in all, I've been able to squeeze in two weekends at the unit, and sadly both of those were spent working on two other E39s I'd picked up recently; silver 530i donor and black 530i manual track toy. Sadly, both were stripped and binned as they were absolute dogs and not worth saving.

First weekend:

The black one was robbed of almost all mechanical components, and weighed in.

Second weekend:

Cheerio, you big slab of rusty bastard (x2).

On the plus side, I now have a low-mileage M54B30 for the blue one (with matching 5spd 'box, prop and diff), and have a spare B30 for a future track toy, as well as a shedload of spares salvaged from both of the above turds. The 530i manual donated its pedal box to the 540i, so now all I need to do is grow some balls and throw a silly amount of money at someone selling a Getrag 420G manual 'box, and I'll finally be able to throw the auto 'box into a skip and pretend it never existed.

Next weekend off will see me attack the suspension on the blue one. I just hope it's sooner rather than later...
                            Last edited by thirtynine; 07-26-2018, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Alas, the 540i is being thrown back together and sold, due to an unforeseen impulse buy of an E39 M5 last week.

As much as I love the E28 centrelocks, I'll likely sell those too, for I love the M5 more and need to recoup some money from somewhere.

Pretty sure no-one gave two flying shits about this thread anyway, but at least now it has a beginning and an end! Cheerio

Comment

Working...
                              X