No announcement yet.

The Roundie - 1973 BMW 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those look nice. And suuuper long. 150mm?

Comment

• YES
      Sexiest thing ever! If they don't clear the firewall just bang it with a ball hammer until they do

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Buick40 View Post
        Those look nice. And suuuper long. 150mm?
        I believe the runner is 80mm, but I have to double check. The inlet is 40mm, I opted for that over the larger bore since my M20 is stock. It's worth noting that the trumpets are barely wedged in, and actually need to be seated in the top of the runner. That'll sink them all down about 10mm.

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
        YES
        Sexiest thing ever! If they don't clear the firewall just bang it with a ball hammer until they do
        That's the plan!
        Frankly it would probably work without modification, but I just want to give it a little room to move about. I also need to relocate the heater hoses as they are completely in the way of everything. So it'll be a big process to make this work properly.

Comment

• Do you need a heater? I removed mine and have had no problems ever, I only drive the junkbox in good weather tho

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
            Do you need a heater? I removed mine and have had no problems ever, I only drive the junkbox in good weather tho
            Realistically, probably not. The 2002 heater is pretty ineffective with my minimal dash. Plus, in Arizona, the worst it gets is ~40F. However being able to defrost the cabin is nice, and if I can retain it I think I'd like to. I'm a wimp when it comes to cold, so it's a nice addition to have haha. Also, for what it's worth that heater has basically kept me from overheating. Having the second heat exchange was just enough to keep the M20 cool. It'd be nice to have that insurance as well, even if my cooling system is getting redone.

Comment

• I'm so jealous right now!

Now I just need to sell one of my kidney for putting those in mine

Comment

• Originally posted by DawsonLiri View Post
                I'm so jealous right now!

Now I just need to sell one of my kidney for putting those in mine
                Haha, I feel your pain. I wasn't going to do the ITBs this time around originally. But a guy on R3vlimited started talking about selling his ITB setup and I kept bugging him to sell to me. Ultimately he changed his mind, but I just wanted a set at that point, so I bit the bullet and bought the kit new. There was a group buy going on, I can put you in touch with the guy who helped me out. Saved a bit on shipping.

Rear Seats/Valve Cover

I can't leave well enough alone. But when the opportunity arises to get something on my bucket list, I'm not going to say no. Short background story, my friend bought an E24 last year. It sat on the back burner for a while because he was too deep in with other projects, and eventually he dropped it off at a friend's shop to just get it sorted so he could drive it. While parked there, the girlfriend of one of the techs backed a trunk into the quarter panel, and completely totaled the car.

Downside, a minty 635csi died. Upside, I scored some sweet rear seats before it went off to auction. A few 2002 guys have done this in the past, and the swap is fairly straight forward. Width wise, the seats with the center console fits fine. However the fiberglass shell runs into the wheel well. As a result, to fit the seats you have to do some creative cutting so it sits back flush.

For shits and giggles I through them in the car while cleaning yesterday. Keep in mind this is with 0 cutting, so they stick forward about a mile. But hey, they look pretty cool with the Car Make Corn's bucket seats up front. The tentative plan is to dye these black as well, get them cut and fitted, and enjoy.

I also had a new valve cover done up. One thing that bugs me with a lot of M20 ITB setups is the valve cover. There is a bracket built in that supports the intake manifold. When you go the the ITBs it becomes useless. I had it shaved off, which apparently isn't the easiest process. The casting is super dirty, and pinholed quite a bit when the two holes were filled. As a result, the final powder coat shows where those holes used to be. It's minor, and I may redo this again later. But for now it's better than having the bracket, in my opinion.

Before

Side by side

After. Powder coated wrinkle black, the letters will be polished later.

It's just one more side project I've added to my list, but it's whatever at this point. The car takes as long as it takes. Theoretically today I'll finally be getting the rear end back together, I'm hoping to have the chassis as a roller again this weekend. You guys will be the first to know if I succeed.
                Last edited by bwwaaaa; 02-05-2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• ITB EVERYTHING.
                  love every part of what youre doing.

On a side note, if you want to be the coolest guy in a 2k2, you should get a matching set of those rear seats and make a bench for the front.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwwaaaa View Post
                    Haha, I feel your pain. I wasn't going to do the ITBs this time around originally. But a guy on R3vlimited started talking about selling his ITB setup and I kept bugging him to sell to me. Ultimately he changed his mind, but I just wanted a set at that point, so I bit the bullet and bought the kit new. There was a group buy going on, I can put you in touch with the guy who helped me out. Saved a bit on shipping.
                    Yes please, if you don't mind DM me some info, even if now there are just curiosity since I just bought another set of wheels

Comment

• That rear seat looks like it was made for a 2002

Comment

• I really need to get my shit together. I 3d printed an adapter to use the s34 ITBs on my M30 motor. I should cast them in aluminum and start selling them.

Comment

• Delete, delete, delete

After some consideration, I decided to take things even further. Originally I was going to retain my factory brake booster, the idea being that I wanted to... you know... stop. But I had a number of gripes about the setup as usual. Primarily it was horribly ugly. While technically I had no clearence issues with the ITBs, it does take up a significant amount of room in terms of accessing the steering box, and other subframe bits. Plus it really is just awful to look at. After speaking to a friend, I decided to contact Chase Bays to see what their product could do in my setup. You may remember I'm planning on running Volvo 240 front brakes, and Mk4 VW Jetta rear brakes. They said that as long as I run a bias adjuster valve and some good pads, I should have a near stock braking experience up to 80% pedal travel. So I ordered the kit.

That is very loosely mocked up in the car. You can see it saves significant space, and frankly just looks nicer. I'm leaving the whole setup reversible. If I **** manual brakes, then I can go back to the stock booster setup. I have faith this will work however.

Finally I got the rear subframe back together. I couldn't put it in myself, so I'm hoping to get that all squared away this weekend. With any luck it will be rolling again soon, so I can drop it off for more fab work. Then engine bay paint, and it all goes back together.

Comment

• Off to Fab

First time in the sun in months

This happened while the forums were down, haven't gotten around to posting until now. Not a lot to say really, it's a small update other than I got the chassis rolling recently, and this weekend sent it off to my friend's shop for some fab work. The current work list includes:
                            • Revised trans brace
                            • Custom headers
                            • Radiator support
                            • Radiator lines
                            • Heater core delete plate
                            • Engine bay shaving (filling unused holes/removing brackets)

I'll update as progress continues. I'll try to be over there once a week to get new photos until it's done.

Side note, I'm hunting for some new wheels. Thinking of going way more aggressive, and way lower. If you have a lead on any Weds Bavaria (Albino Fins), H&Bs, or somehow a set of 4x100 Star Sharks, let me know.

Comment

• Going heaterless and 13s then?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                                Going heaterless and 13s then?
                                Unfortunately 13s are a no go with the 2002 haha. My big brakes wouldn't clear them. I had found some SSR EX-Cs for sale locally that would have put me on the bleeding edge of what you can fit under a stock body 2002, but the redrill was pretty poorly done and the seller was firm on his price. I'm just shooting for more low, and better fitment for now haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X