• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 BMW 520i E34

1992 BMW 520i E34

Photo credit to Edvards facebook.com/edvardsj instagram.com/edvardsj

THE DREAM

I was dreaming of buying a nice, classic BMW, stance it, swap a V8 and then I had many more 'BIG PLANS'. I was looking at E34's, as they look very classy, oldschool and the front end gave that 'shark' look, which I really liked. But I couldn't find one. Dad made a call, to a good family friend, who had owned this old 5 series classic. All we knew was that it SHOULD be in a good condition, that it's black and had white leather interior. He was asking for 2000 EUR for it. I said no, even without seeing the car. I did not have such money and I wanted to drive during the summer and not just keep it in the garage, while I earn some cash. Haha. A week later I received a call, the owner said I could get it for 1000 EUR which was completely unexpected. Like at all. I was so excited. So I went to his garage to take a look the car and it was better than I expected, except for the wheels of course(When you see them you'll know what I'm talking about). So I bought the car and was a very happy man.

SPECIFICATIONS

M50B20 engine
    DIAMANTSCHWARZ METALLIC
    White leather interior
    LEATHER SPORTS STEERING WHEEL II
    Shadow-Line
    Manual sunroof
    Front seat heating
    Full OBC

So here are (and sadly, all of them) some crappy phone pictures, until I get camera. Sorry about that, you'll just have to live with it.

It actually wasn't the first time I saw this car, as it was a family friend's car and I remember seeing it when I was a kid and thinking "what a cool BMW".
    The car had stood in the garage for the last 2 years, all covered in dust.

Looks like a good find huh?

I don't know why I did not make more pictures of the car, it would be nice to see them now.
    Looks like I was too ashamed of wheels, haha.

I was looking for wheels for a while, at least R17, but since I had to drive around with these terrible ones, friend lent me BMW style 61 wheels.

Definitely better look, but still - it needs lowering.

Another friend let me try on his BBS RC090 R17, 8.5J, fell in love with them. They made car look even more classic.

BBS RS replica wheels. R17 and 10J.

I could go offroading with this car. Ugh.

Two weeks later friend sold me BBS's. Finally, some pictures with better quality.

MORE COMING SOON...
    Last edited by RV97; 01-10-2020, 02:18 PM.
    Instagram valgers97

needs polished grills. the black ones are horrific.

but nonetheless, lovely car! got any interior photos?
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
      needs polished grills. the black ones are horrific.

but nonetheless, lovely car! got any interior photos?
      Already have chrome grills and currently the car is looking like in first picture of the thread.
      Searched for interior photos, but looks like I don't have any.
      Overall interior looks fine, but front driver seat is worn out and headliner is sagging in middle.
      Thank You!

Moving on to the next chapter of this build story...

The car is 26 years old so it’s not a surprise rust can be found somewhere around the car. Rust around the tank cap is a very common E34 problem.
      Forgot to mention, the car had already been welded on repair rocker panels, because it couldn't pass technical inspection.

Rusty piece is cut out, inside primed with epoxy primer to prevent it from rusting in the future.

With some help from colleagues at work, we made a new piece of 1mm thick steel sheet, welded on and grinded.

Painted with epoxy primer and it was ready to go to the painting workshop.

Also repaired some small dents on the back of the car.

Later exhaust broke down, so it was time to make a new, nice one, with two exhaust pipes.

Winter is finally here
      It's time to prepare BBS for the summer season

Plans for the wheels were to disassemble them, paint centres, polish the lips and assemble with new, shiny screws.

I had noticed on instagram, that some guys are reversing these, so I tried to do the same and see how it looks.

At this moment plans got 'BIG' in my mind. Always had wanted crazy wide wheels with big lips on my car.

But unfortunately I wouldn't fit without cutting arches and fitting wider fenders.

Last edited by RV97; 01-10-2020, 02:42 PM.
      Instagram valgers97

Comment

Looking good! and i am super happy to hear the polished grills are on!!
        Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
          Looking good! and i am super happy to hear the polished grills are on!!
          Thanks! I don't like black grills either.
          Instagram valgers97

Comment

good work

Comment

Originally posted by rims.center View Post
              good work
              Thank you!
              Instagram valgers97

Comment

This is killer, stoked to see those wheels all finished!
                Dutch language sounds like a drunk German trying to speak English, while on magic mushroom, eating Belgian waffles.

Comment

Originally posted by Justdont95 View Post
                  This is killer, stoked to see those wheels all finished!
                  Thanks alot! Actually wheels was finished last summer, so finally sorted all photos and here are massive update!

THE SPACERS

As I said previously, I'd love to see the wheels reversed - with the step lips on this side.
                  I decided to make a huge spacers for wheels(to look like wheel in the middle), because I didn't want to cut the arches and wanted to keep them oem, not to build 3 piece wheels. And definitely they would look funny only reversed, because they are just 8.5J wide.

Bought an aluminium rectangular bar for test to see if I can make the spacer how I want.

First thing to do is bend bar endings, because roll bending machine isn't bending first ~10cm. Have to do it with the press.

Ready to start rolling.

It's not as easy as it looks.

Straightening the ends.

Prepared the ends for welding.

Rolled again to a correct size and to get the ends together.

My best boss, my best colleague and a good friend Mareks was helping me out with rolling, welding and many more things!

The best craftsman I know - Egons. His work always impresses me. Machining spacers.

First one machined!

3 piece wheels?

Didn't crop this photo, because theres a legend Mareks checking fitment.

Beautiful

Bought material for rest of the spacers, because everything is looking good.

Rolling, cutting, welding, turning, drilling & repeat.

That's how I spent my time after work - working in the garage which actually is my work as a car mechanic. Funny.

Also I like to live dangerously.

Aaaand they all are done.

SANDING, POLISHING AND OTHER STUFF

I was trying to strip off paint, but nothing much came off, most likely because there was more aluminium rust(!?) than paint.

Yes, barrels look really bad.

Deep scratches. That's not good.

Biggest and worst one. Makes even 'BIG' boys cry. Sorry, for quality, looks like I was crying.

Our favourite drink.

While I was very busy with wiring swap from other E34(You'll see that on next update), Egons made polishing machine. Awesome!

First test. This thing goes crazy fast!

Plenty hours spent sanding to get there. Worth it!

Sandblasted centers. Only picture i've got, sadly.

More sanding. Looks like deep scratches is staying.

Something good is coming.

Finally polishing.

Getting that mirror finish.

Polished and ready for spacers. I will be repolishing after I'll put in spacers, because they will leave scratches.

Stunning.

Everything was ready except - centers. I wanted them to get painted with paint and not powdercoat, so went to the painting workshop. Centers been there ''painting'' for almost month and they were only primed. After sandblasting they needed sanding, to get everything smooth. So done it myself. Almost 1 center per day to sand everything nice and smooth. What a struggle.

Edvards helped me out with sanding centers. Also some very nice photos from him that day in workshop.

Soo, many weeks later I received the most wanted call - centers were painted!

This is the moment I've waited for a very long time.

PHOTOSHOOT
                  With good old friend Edvards

I want to say very, very BIG THANKS to Mareks, who was helping with advice, who was teaching me best things about cars, stance culture and many other!
                  As well BIG thanks to Egons, who helped with machining, rolling, polishing machine and many more! I wouldn't be here without these guys!

Last edited by RV97; 01-10-2020, 03:44 PM.
                  Instagram valgers97

Comment

Love your car, used to have the same one, the exact colour, but with the M20 engine. I wish I still had it.

The wheels look perfect in my opinion, but how did you manage to get them balanced? How much do they weigh now?

Comment

Originally posted by adacam View Post
                      Love your car, used to have the same one, the exact colour, but with the M20 engine. I wish I still had it.

The wheels look perfect in my opinion, but how did you manage to get them balanced? How much do they weigh now?
                      Thank You!
                      The spacer is made very precisely and it sits very tight in barrel, so it's not moving anywhere. I balance them as a normal wheel. I have never tried weigh them, but they are kinda heavy.
                      Instagram valgers97

Comment

So I've seen this in the Build section for a few days and finally got round to reading it. Honestly, I'm stunned.. never knew you could get a spacer in like that to fit the center! Absolutely beautiful car mate - the E34 is a bucket list car for me and you just confirmed that I should definitely keep aiming for it!

Can't wait to see the progress, and it's really refreshing to see your friends are just as passionate and happy to help out.

What are the next plans with the car? Can you go a little lower perhaps?

oooh also, what lens is your friend using for those photos? They look beautiful!

Comment

I've also thought about reversing a 2 piece wheel. Nice machine work on the spacer. I'd have never thought to do that.

Comment

I am amazed by the spacers, I was skeptical seeing the first pics in the press brake but then I was admiring the machine work...well done solution to the problem!

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Originally posted by Mehowski View Post
                              So I've seen this in the Build section for a few days and finally got round to reading it. Honestly, I'm stunned.. never knew you could get a spacer in like that to fit the center! Absolutely beautiful car mate - the E34 is a bucket list car for me and you just confirmed that I should definitely keep aiming for it!

Can't wait to see the progress, and it's really refreshing to see your friends are just as passionate and happy to help out.

What are the next plans with the car? Can you go a little lower perhaps?

oooh also, what lens is your friend using for those photos? They look beautiful!
                              Once I saw that reversed barrel on the car, I tought - damn, I should figure out something to fit wheel like this. Because it would look like BBS RS. I had idea about buying lips and make custom splits, but then I tought that I should keep wheels original. Searched for options how to make spacer - to cast it, then machine them or try to roll it from bar and weld like I did. Made a call to company that are casting alloys. But the price they offered was way too high. If I remember right, then something about 80 EUR for one spacer + 60 EUR mould. Thats just too much + it still should be machined.

Anyway costs to build this wheels was(EUR):
                              -350 wheels
                              -120 aluminium for spacers
                              -140 machining(only turning)
                              - 85 stainless steel screws
                              -100 sandblasting
                              - 40 polishing buffs etc.
                              -120 painting
                              -150 tires
                              - 50 other costs like 5mm wheel spacers, oxygen for preheating for welding
                              1155 EUR total. Yes I could buy lips, rebuild wheels wider, but anyway thats in future plans.

E34 is awesome car. I would rather buy 525i sport, with full M package, sports interior etc. instead of this 520i, but it's hard to find good E34's for acceptable price here in Latvia.

I have some more things to show, to catch up with current state of the car. But I'll update topic step by step. Currently car is in garage for winter, I'm preparing it for this summer season.

About current plans:
                              - Spacers. Egons already machined 15mm off rear spacers and 5mm in front, to get them sit wider, closer to arch.
                              - Weld deep scratches on lips, sand and polish them. Mareks already welded deep scratches. Now just sanding, polishing and assembly.
                              - Remove rust and paint underneath. Already cleaned rust somewhere, did welding on some places, removed brake lines, need to make new ones.
                              - Maintenance. Change brake rotors and pads. Oil change. There is some oil leaking from engine and gearbox.
                              - Rebuild exhaust. Rebuild exhaust, because current one is scraping every speed bump and it's loud.
                              - Fit M side skirts, paint front fender.
                              - Electric window retrofit.
                              - Fit black leather door cards with wood trim.

Future plans:
                              Coilovers. This car will be lower, I'm hoping this summer. For now it's lowered springs, because I'm student.
                              Engine swap. This is a bit further plan, but definitely at some point I will do this.
                              Full M package. Already have side skirts and spoiler, not sure about it, but at least I have it.
                              Rebuild wheels again. As I mentioned before. Would be nice to rebuild to 9J front and 11J rear or something like that.

He's using Sigma Art 50mm F1.4 DG HSM and Canon 24-105 F4

Originally posted by Asshole Bicycle View Post
                              I've also thought about reversing a 2 piece wheel. Nice machine work on the spacer. I'd have never thought to do that.
                              Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                              I am amazed by the spacers, I was skeptical seeing the first pics in the press brake but then I was admiring the machine work...well done solution to the problem!
                              Thanks guys!
                              Last edited by RV97; 01-10-2020, 03:47 PM.
                              Instagram valgers97

Comment

Working...
                              X