Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: People still build E36s?

Quote Originally Posted by meech View Post
    I really need to do my headliner but I really don't want to.
    It wasn't bad, mine didn't come out perfect but its not that bad to do. Just get some good adhesive and do a good job trimming things out. That alone will save you a lot of headache

Quote Originally Posted by DUTCHswift View Post
    This car is gonna be fire by spring
    Thanks man! I hope so, the exterior is unfortunately last on my list so it might be rough looking for a bit but definitely by summer time the body will be squared away.

Quote Originally Posted by hinrichs View Post
    Damn, never knew there was a non airbag dash....might need to find one of those for myself. Build is looking great so far !
    Thank you! The 92-93's came with them, and I believe the dashes are different between the coupes and the sedans as well but I might be incorrect. I am a huge fan of the look of them personally but I would imagine trying to find one would be challenging

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

This is really coming together man!!
    Instagram - Benwalsh91

Put the headliner in and buttoned up most of the interior, for whatever reason I'm super lazy and still have to do the kick panels and door cards but once thats done its pretty much wrapped up. Just don't feel like being held up more by the whole process.

Test fitted my Bride seat finally

I got really lazy and dyed the sunroof cassette cover, kind of regret it, but will end up deleting the sunroof at some point anyway. Need to clean up the sun visors too, I like that I got them from a 95 because I like it to be known that my car is "pre-facelift."

The parcel shelf came out nice

Began the rebuild process on the engine. The first thing on my agenda was cleaning up the old crappy looking stuff and make it less crappy looking. The oil pan was my first target.

Nasty looking thing.

This was after the first initial cleaning

This is after about an hour with a wire brush

Wasn't satisfied with the finish so I decided to try painting it.

And some VHT Aluminum color paint gives you this

Look at it glisten in front of that old iron block

Speaking of iron blocks, this thing was next

I opted to go with POR15's engine painting kit, I used everything it gives you and followed its instruction

I painted the aluminum parts with the same VHT paint

This is after the primer coat on the rusty block

And this is painted

Lays on very thick, not impressed with the finish as its a bit too glossy for my liking but oh well. Valve cover was next, I didn't go crazy with this because most of it gets covered anyways. Its also hard to get it to feather out so I basically just freshened it up

Taped up

And threw it on the engine for kicks

I think for a budget setup basically it came out pretty decent, but we will see how it holds up. I may end up getting another valve cover and having it media blasted.

Got tires mounted up on the rear Koenigs and decided I wanted to see how they would look up front.

Eventually I want to lip both wheels an inch wider so this should be how the front looks sometime next year.

But I put them where they belong for now and fell in love again.

Peep that 0 toe though.

Pumped on the rear fitment. Gives it that 2012 Stanceworks vibe and is still functional for what I need it to do. I needed a productive weekend like this one because I've really been slacking on this thing. But I now have until May to get it to its first drift event because the one scheduled this weekend got pushed to next month and that event was already full. Not mad about it, I need all the time I can get now that I have to part out my former daily driver M3. But hopefully should have some engine bay progress this weekend maybe if I'm lucky. I'll keep everyone posted

Definitely envious of your nice wheels and even more of that zero toe, did you get it there with the stock trailing arm bracket adjustment? Guess it's because you run no camber? I have not lowered mine yet but I read everywhere that you need eccentric trailing arm bushings to have acceptable toe when slammed and cambered out

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Quote Originally Posted by Fruttolo View Post
    Definitely envious of your nice wheels and even more of that zero toe, did you get it there with the stock trailing arm bracket adjustment? Guess it's because you run no camber? I have not lowered mine yet but I read everywhere that you need eccentric trailing arm bushings to have acceptable toe when slammed and cambered out

I had my friend cut and weld the toe brackets to essentially push the trailing arm to move the toe outwards. When running low camber at this height there is a lot of toe in which kills tires in drift. I think if you go back to the first page I briefly posted about it

Quote Originally Posted by fackinsteve View Post
    I had my friend cut and weld the toe brackets to essentially push the trailing arm to move the toe outwards. When running low camber at this height there is a lot of toe in which kills tires in drift. I think if you go back to the first page I briefly posted about it
    Well fuck me I went back to check before asking stupid questions but completely missed it and asked stupid questions indeed.
    Thanks alot tho, will definitely copy that

This is V good. The motor looks great all freshened up.

Awesome progress!
    Nice work on the headliner too

Still want an E36 so badly, and this is a fine example. Strong work!

Regrettably, a lot has changed since the last post. It all started the day after this past post here when I was headed into work and caught a patch of black ice. I spun into oncoming traffic and collided with another vehicle head on. Due to some complications I had to part out the car to get back any sort of cash, which really took its toll on my motivation.

One of my SSR's also took a hit

After the teardown here is what I was left with

This car however I was still eager to finish but just with everything going on, it took a lot out of me

I took the cool stuff off of the car, replaced it with stock suspension and listed it for sale.

I found a car to "replace" it with however, but my good intentions were soon disrupted by the old faithful rust

Finding that rust started with these wheels.

I originally bought these wheels about two and a half years ago for my S10. I rebuilt them and sold them to my friend in NJ to fund my white car's build. I was eager to go drifting and this was ticket in because I knew that if I even test fitted them, I would never see a track. After my friends found out I was having a child, they all pitched their hard earned money together to buy these wheels back for me. I was so shocked and still can't believe it. It was when I went to install them that the car fell through the jack stand, and killed my motivation once again.

I am currently working a deal out right now for another clean shell to start with. The idea is to take everything from this Daytona M3 and transfer it over to a deserving shell. So this is where I am at, I took a brief break to focus on my daily driver which I will have a thread for soon enough also. But I am in no hurry to complete this car like I have been with every other project. This will be the representation of what I have loved about these cars for so long

Sad for the white car, it's always a pity seeing projects go away unfinished
    Also bummed for your accident, good thing you are ok.

Looks like you have awesome friends tho, good luck with the new project, I'll follow

New project/rust bucket actually looks really neat. Shame. In for the new new though. Beautiful cars.
    2 328i e36's
    Saabaru linear 2.5na
    Various projects.

Intro;
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...19#post1598619

I usually don't tend to burn through cars, but for some reason I piss through E36s. I've had 5 in 2 years and in a few days I'm picking up my 6th. This is the last one though. It should move along fairly quickly

If you're going to cannibalize the Daytona, I need brakes haha. Seriously though good luck with the reshell. Trying to get a second e36 myself. Bavarian bankruptcy
    2 328i e36's
    Saabaru linear 2.5na
    Various projects.

Intro;

The white car was looking good, can't wait to see what you're going to reshell the purple one with
    1999 BMW M3
    2002 Lexus IS300
    2016 VW GTI
    Wrong Fitment Crew #391

What're you going to do with the wheels you took off of it? They look pretty snazzy
    2 328i e36's
    Saabaru linear 2.5na
    Various projects.

Intro;

Quote Originally Posted by Quillhill36 View Post
    What're you going to do with the wheels you took off of it? They look pretty snazzy
    They're sold I will be using the M3's brakes as well

Quote Originally Posted by RuhRohh View Post
    The white car was looking good, can't wait to see what you're going to reshell the purple one with
    Thanks, I hope it works out. Should have an update soon

Dang. Even 3 series brakes for cheap would be cool. keep us updated man. Tons of interest in this build.
    2 328i e36's
    Saabaru linear 2.5na
    Various projects.

Intro;

So I guess this is where things are starting "fresh."

This is the new car. Lets start off by saying it needs a fair amount of work done to it to be considered road worthy in my eyes. The car was setup for drifting which is fine, as it comes with new E46 LCAs, condor engine mounts, and I think a few other misc. things. We worked out an arrangement where he is keeping his seats, steering wheel, wheels, harness bar, and coilovers. But I might decide to buy the coilovers off of him since they are like new Broadway Statics, which would suit the car nicely.

Immediate plans:

Fix broken motor mount arm
    Swap the interior from the M3
    Make sure maintenance is up to date
    Determine coilovers (the M3 is on PSS9's)
    Fit the M3 exterior bits
    Get smaller tires for the RF's

Long term plans:

Swap full M3 drivetrain into car
    Re-upholster the Vaders
    Black carpet (M3 has grey carpet)
    Polish the RF faces
    Euro bits
    Respray

The car is a clean start compared to all of my other E36s, it is originally from Florida and I live in Massachusetts so rust is always prevalent. I'm not the biggest fan of Boston Green, but I will make it work. Hopefully this turns out alright

Boston green looks so good, you're gonna love it trust me!

Good luck with this fresh start

Appears to be a clean shell. Please keep the non m bumper, everyone goes m but the non m look is much cleaner imo. Will be watching this one.

PS, cool to see another e36 in the New England area haha, very few people here in Maine care about cars. Especially older, rough around the edges types.
    Last edited by Quillhill36; 08-27-2018 at 08:14 AM.
    2 328i e36's
    Saabaru linear 2.5na
    Various projects.

Intro;

Quote Originally Posted by DawsonLiri View Post
    Boston green looks so good, you're gonna love it trust me!

Good luck with this fresh start
    I think so too, but green will not be permanent down the road. But a color change is the last of my worries right now

Appears to be a clean shell. Please keep the non m bumper, everyone goes m but the non m look is much cleaner imo. Will be watching this one.

PS, cool to see another e36 in the New England area haha, very few people here in Maine care about cars. Especially older, rough around the edges types.
    Yeah Maine is definitely it's own little world it seems lol

I feel as if we should just be an island or something haha. Most people just ignore us
    2 328i e36's
    Saabaru linear 2.5na
    Various projects.

Intro;

I feel as if we should just be an island or something haha. Most people just ignore us
    Thats because most of Maine is 6 hours away from the rest of civilization

Quote Originally Posted by fackinsteve View Post
    Thats because most of Maine is 6 hours away from the rest of civilization
    Hahaha, this is true. The roads are awful, too, on top of that. Would be nice to have a big meet up here though, it is scenic haha
    2 328i e36's
    Saabaru linear 2.5na
    Various projects.

Intro;