People still build E36s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
    i really like it, and i really like the SE bumpers on this.

is that the bottom part of the front "fender" dragging on the floor?
    Haha yes. It rotted out I guess from the bottom and I dragged that thing about 90 miles down the highway.

So after getting to the event, I blew out my front tires. I previously neglected to mention that I couldn't get enough adjustment out of my tie rods so I spent most of my day messing with that at the track. Luckily a friend of mine had a spare laying around that he lent me.

After raising the car to fit the 235's up front and doing an eyeball alignment I was out on the track

I never said I knew what I was doing.

After getting tossed around for a few hours drifting in my stock seats we made the 2 hour drive back home and tucked this old thing back in my garage. I finally decided it was time to paint my M3 bumpers and skirts. Being extremely budget minded and slightly ignorant I opted to paint it using rustoleum. I used to paint and prep cars for a living and was always curious how this stuff holds up so I figured what the hell

How I received the M3 bumper

After a lacquer thinner bath and a scuff pad

I went over it a bit more before I sprayed it. I ordered oem hardware to mount the skirts up, pretty much did a quick and dirty install on that.

A little bit of paint action

Bumpers getting the same treatment

And installed

I did end up adjusting the bumpers to fit better. Please don't flame me

Picked up some random drift spares that were a good deal. They're SSR Bang Vec II's 17x9.5 et high as hell. I actually sold these later on.

Went to another drift event, I was actually having a lot of issues getting my car to run properly during this event. I had replaced all my CCV hoses but when I put it back together I installed the MAF backwards. Rookie mistake, but I corrected that issue with some new plugs

Back at the shop once again

After having enough of being thrown around in my car a friend of mine offered me his Bride's for a decent price so I went ahead and picked those up. They're Zeta III XL's

At this point I was getting ready for the last drift day of the year for us in the Northeast. So I wanted to make my car looks halfway decent. I had ordered some ECS kidney grilles because they were on sale. You might've saw they were "carbon fiber" which I ***** but never got around to painting. So I scuffed them up and shot them with some trim paint

I made a purchase on some wheels I fell in love with seeing them on someone elses car

SSR Comp C RS

Also found some tail lights I've always been super into. Not too many cars pull these off and I'm hoping to make my car look decent with these

Not pictured were the new OEM M3 side moldings I purchased from the dealer. I get a great discount otherwise I wouldn't have bought them new, but I popped them on real quick as well as the new wheels and tail lights

Took it for a test drive, one of the wheels was hitting the spring so I only drove it up the street for a picture

I swapped back to the style 42's and got ready to go drifting. After a few laps I clipped a tire and this happened

No worries, I planned on replacing it at some point anyways. Car looking decent in the pits

Friend of mine grabbed some pictures of me driving

Drove it home and got ready for the offseason.

The plan was to pull the engine and trans assembly. Replace all the leaking seals as well as some other preventative items.

Few hours later

Ghetto hoist setup

Out she goes

The mess of old insulation and useless brackets

Primary reason I pulled this all out

As someone who drives his car harder than the average person, I am constantly double checking every nut and bolt on the car making sure nothing falls apart. That being said dealing with oil covered subframes and control arms drives me nuts.

I figured that since I had the engine out I might as well try and clean it up a bit. I picked up a spot weld cutter bit and started taking out all the unnecessary brackets I will no longer need.

Engine bay shot

Hacked out the redundant battery tray, still need to clean this area up but I will get to it

Acquired a new daily driver

Bought some overfenders. Then sold them because I didn't want to regret cutting up my clean rear quarters

With those sold I decided to sell the Comp's because I ***** how they sat on my stock body. I wanted to go down to 17s and keep my car fairly low. Originally I was looking for some SSR Professors but they were out of my budget. After browsing YAJ for awhile I gave up and came across a deal locally for some SSR Koenig's. Made the drive and picked them up

The only issue was they are 5x114.3, but a friend of mine had some adapters kicking around off his E39. Threw them on and did a test fit

Pretty pumped on the fitment, I still have to get the rear spacers cut down to 1" and order tires for them before I can see how they fit with tires on them. Once thats dialed and the engines back in the car I can setup my ride height.

More to come

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

Nice progress

Comment

Love it!
        Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Those Koenig's are going to be nasty.

Comment

Absolutely killer thread, Koenigs are awesome looking wheels!!!
            My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
            http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Love those wheels! Keen to see updates
              sigpic

Bagged l E36 l Coupe l Cape Town l Instagram : ziyaad_21 l

Comment

Thank you everyone for the kind words!!!

After doing the test fit for the wheels I was pretty eager to get the car back up and running as it should be, but before that could happen I needed to get the engine prepped for paint and regasketing. Started with your typical M50 and began teardown.

Manifolds off

Intake and wiring harness off

Began removing accessories

Cleaned up the block a little bit, still lots of scrubbing in store

On E36s when running low, as i am sure most of you are aware, they experience toe issues. With my setup I am only running 1.5* of camber in the rear as supposed to most everyone else running -5* or higher. A way of getting alignment back into spec is modifying your toe brackets. A friend of mine did these up for me with his TIG.

You can see here how it offsets the position of the trailing arm

Painted them up

Then while going through a local junkyard I stumbled across a 92 325is with an entire black interior. Most drift cars are gutted but my car is half gutted and I despise it. So I began stripping the parts car and ended up with this

Now began the fun task of pulling everything out of my car.

Here's what I started with.

A mess, to the say the least.

Dash and console out

Quick vacuum of my "new" carpet

Old one out

A lot of the foam disintegrated when I went to remove it and it made a good mess

New carpet installed

In US these dashboards were available in 92 and maybe 93? Non airbag dashboard

Busted the original gas pedal so a quick order from BMW straightened that out for me

Rear seats in place

Dyed the parcel shelf black

Console in

Need to replace this with a Nardi in the future

You may have saw the headliner being fabric-less in the before pictures. I grabbed some fabric and adhesive to wrap my headliner and pillars with

Mocked up the length

Fabric on

And cutout

Not in love with how it came out, I'm a bigger fan of the original fabric and will be looking for an M3 headliner and trim in the future

Wrapped the trim up too

I'm just starting to install this all into the car so I will have some more progress pictures next week or so. You can also look on my instagram for more real time updates if you wish!

Comment

I really need to do my headliner but I really don't want to.
                  IG: Dimitriantoniou
                  1997 bmw 328i vert: sold:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55235
                  1997 bmw 328is: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69857

Comment

This car is gonna be fire by spring

Comment

Damn, never knew there was a non airbag dash....might need to find one of those for myself. Build is looking great so far !
                      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by meech View Post
                        I really need to do my headliner but I really don't want to.
                        It wasn't bad, mine didn't come out perfect but its not that bad to do. Just get some good adhesive and do a good job trimming things out. That alone will save you a lot of headache

Originally posted by DUTCHswift View Post
                        This car is gonna be fire by spring
                        Thanks man! I hope so, the exterior is unfortunately last on my list so it might be rough looking for a bit but definitely by summer time the body will be squared away.

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                        Damn, never knew there was a non airbag dash....might need to find one of those for myself. Build is looking great so far !
                        Thank you! The 92-93's came with them, and I believe the dashes are different between the coupes and the sedans as well but I might be incorrect. I am a huge fan of the look of them personally but I would imagine trying to find one would be challenging

Comment

This is really coming together man!!
                          Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Put the headliner in and buttoned up most of the interior, for whatever reason I'm super lazy and still have to do the kick panels and door cards but once thats done its pretty much wrapped up. Just don't feel like being held up more by the whole process.

Test fitted my Bride seat finally

I got really lazy and dyed the sunroof cassette cover, kind of regret it, but will end up deleting the sunroof at some point anyway. Need to clean up the sun visors too, I like that I got them from a 95 because I like it to be known that my car is "pre-facelift."

The parcel shelf came out nice

Began the rebuild process on the engine. The first thing on my agenda was cleaning up the old crappy looking stuff and make it less crappy looking. The oil pan was my first target.

Nasty looking thing.

This was after the first initial cleaning

This is after about an hour with a wire brush

Wasn't satisfied with the finish so I decided to try painting it.

And some VHT Aluminum color paint gives you this

Look at it glisten in front of that old iron block

Speaking of iron blocks, this thing was next

I opted to go with POR15's engine painting kit, I used everything it gives you and followed its instruction

I painted the aluminum parts with the same VHT paint

This is after the primer coat on the rusty block

And this is painted

Lays on very thick, not impressed with the finish as its a bit too glossy for my liking but oh well. Valve cover was next, I didn't go crazy with this because most of it gets covered anyways. Its also hard to get it to feather out so I basically just freshened it up

Taped up

And threw it on the engine for kicks

I think for a budget setup basically it came out pretty decent, but we will see how it holds up. I may end up getting another valve cover and having it media blasted.

Got tires mounted up on the rear Koenigs and decided I wanted to see how they would look up front.

Eventually I want to lip both wheels an inch wider so this should be how the front looks sometime next year.

But I put them where they belong for now and fell in love again.

Peep that 0 toe though.

Pumped on the rear fitment. Gives it that 2012 Stanceworks vibe and is still functional for what I need it to do. I needed a productive weekend like this one because I've really been slacking on this thing. But I now have until May to get it to its first drift event because the one scheduled this weekend got pushed to next month and that event was already full. Not mad about it, I need all the time I can get now that I have to part out my former daily driver M3. But hopefully should have some engine bay progress this weekend maybe if I'm lucky. I'll keep everyone posted

Comment

Definitely envious of your nice wheels and even more of that zero toe, did you get it there with the stock trailing arm bracket adjustment? Guess it's because you run no camber? I have not lowered mine yet but I read everywhere that you need eccentric trailing arm bushings to have acceptable toe when slammed and cambered out

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                                Definitely envious of your nice wheels and even more of that zero toe, did you get it there with the stock trailing arm bracket adjustment? Guess it's because you run no camber? I have not lowered mine yet but I read everywhere that you need eccentric trailing arm bushings to have acceptable toe when slammed and cambered out

I had my friend cut and weld the toe brackets to essentially push the trailing arm to move the toe outwards. When running low camber at this height there is a lot of toe in which kills tires in drift. I think if you go back to the first page I briefly posted about it

Comment

Working...
                                X