Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1981 Ford Courier low buck truck

Default 1981 Ford Courier low buck truck

So I sold my roadster.

And bought this little guy.
    IMG_7266[1].jpg

So far haven't done much. the truck cam with new fenders since the original owner cut them around the wheel wells to accommodate really big tires. He had 31's or something on there. Goofy. Anyway my plans are to lower it static (for now) and put different wheels. I bought some wheels for it already. 16" GM spare tire rims. Actually pretty nice looking. Not sure what size tires to get yet. thinking 205/45r16 Or maybe 195/45r16.
    I'm lowering the truck by using Mustang II coil springs and cutting them. They are about the correct diameter .2" difference and the spring rate is lower than factory Courier springs. According to this calculator I found https://www.engineersedge.com/calcul...ring_k_pop.htm if I cut 1.25" off it should bring the spring back up to proper spring rate.
    According to the specs I found on the factory Courier springs versus the Mustang II springs, even if I just installed the Mustang II springs without cutting them, the truck should drop about 2" (depending the the weight of the truck Vs. the Mustang been unable to find curb weight)). I am curious to see where it ends up.
    IMG_7291[1].jpg IMG_7299[1].jpg IMG_7302[1].jpg

Its not great, but it will keep it from rusting this winter. The truck will be painted its factory (or close to factory) robins egg blue and then sprayed with dark blue metal flakes. And of course cleared.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rab71; 01-18-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Oh and here are the wheels I have for now. again, haven't decided on tire size.
    Attachment 18451

This could be a good one
    15 Rubicon.Coilovers.37s
    97 M3
    05 Triumph Bonneville

Loving this! sub'd

BozoBubble is offline Ground Clearance Must Die StanceWorks Visitor

As per normal, down for minitruckin’!

Couriers are great little trucks. My good buddy has one, I’m trying to convince him to rotary swap it, since it’s pretty much a REPU with an oval on the front.

So today I got two tires mounted on wheels. Gotta save up for two more tires. Tomorrow I'm installing a new valve cover gasket and hopefully lowering the front end.
    I'd upload a pic but I guess that doesn't work from and iPhone.

Thanks for the replies. A rotary would be cool. I like those 2.3 Ford motors a lot. They are really tough motors. Some day I'll have one I hope.

Not much happened this weekend. I dropped the front. Of the truck and found out the frame in the rear is junk. This was suppose to be a cheap DIY cruiser while I built my 1927 model T sedan hot rod... Saturday I got up, ran errands and got started on the truck about 1pm? Maybe... Finished lowering the truck by 4 pm. Was in a hurry and installed the drivers side spring upside down... Picked up my daughter from work at 4 pm. By 5 pm we were and my companies shop to install and entire audio system from head unit to sub in her 1989 Corolla wagon. (I love that car, 52K original miles and beautiful. I wanted it for myself but the kid needs a reliable car. Anyway I'll get it back when shes done with it.)
    So finished up the system around midnight. LONG DAY... Sunday I was gonna lower the rear of the truck but 1) it was rainy and cold and 2) I had to flip the driver side spring I installed upside down... Then it really started pouring. I don't like doing that stuff at our company shop cuz if I don't finish I can't leave my truck there. Anyway I found out Saturday the frame is fucked... I am gonna try and fix the frame but if I can't I'm gonna back half it and air ride it on the cheap with cheapo used and ebay shiz. Try not to cringe when you look at the pics. I am open to suggestions.
    IMG_7363[1].jpgIMG_7364[1].jpg IMG_7354[1].jpg IMG_7374[1].jpg

A few more pics of the rust... The third pic is right where the leaf spring mounts... I know it's my fault for not looking under the truck in these areas when I bought it but what kind of person sells a vehicle with structural issues and doesn't tell the buyer? I kit a big bump going down the high and it's over. A-hole...
    IMG_7400[1].jpgIMG_7401[1].jpgIMG_7398[1].jpgIMG_7396[1].jpg

So here we are a couple weeks later. This weather sucks giant Bigfoot dicks... Fixed the frame, lowered the rear and built exhaust that exits all the way out the back. For some reason I can't get the pics of the frame fix to load. So here it is all back together. I need stiffer springs in the front. The one I used (mustang II) springs are too soft and I keep bottoming out. Roads in WI are nawt gooooood... Waiting for a quote on custom springs. Bags for the rear came, may not use them. Gonna back half it in the future. Sure wish I could get pics to load... Check out my insta @rubberhitsthepavement plenty there.
    IMG_7545[1].jpg

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
    Last edited by unie01; 02-10-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks! I’m trying. Saturday I installed new swaybar links and bushings. Amazing what a difference that made. I need stiffer springs in the front badly. I don’t want to spend a ton on this stuff yet as I have big plans in the future. So I’m just gonna buy some factory springs and cut them. I am having issues upload pics from my iPhone, what am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by rab71; 02-12-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: grammatical errors

Last edited by rab71; 02-12-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Why aren’t my pics showing up? They load and then disappear

Sounds very interesting, the last pics aren`t showing up for me too

Ha! Weird I can’t see my own pics.��. My new front springs came today. My new shocks should be here Friday. If all goes well, this weekend I will install all that. Still not sure about the wheels I have. Found some others I like. Also second guessing the light blue paint I was planning. Leaning towards olive drab and The sharks teeth logo and eye behindbyhe frintvwheels.1D7ABA51-A2B6-4AA5-9515-51119AFBE8D0.jpg. I like these wheels instead of the aluminum GM spares I was gonna use. I’d stretch a tire on these. They are 15x8s and seem more appropriate for the year of the truck. 53EF6992-6BDC-4E54-AEEC-D793EC0DC75D.jpg

Holy grammar errors.... Sorry I’m on my phone and the screen is all cracked tonshut... and can’t see half of what my thumbs are typing.

Not much today... Looked at the truck sitting in the yard and noticed when the plow company came to clean up snow last Sunday they blew snow at my truck and shot pebbles and shit all over it. Worst of all pitted the windshield! been trying to get ahold of them for two days now. Fuckers. Better be paying for my windshield. Ordered tires today and wheel spacers. Still hoping to get new springs in Saturday and steering parts. Oh and I ordered new shocks too. One came today (odd) the other supposedly will show Saturday. Meh... Still on the fence about those Blazer wheels. Mostly cuz I don't have the funds. If they don't sell by next paycheck I will pick them up. That's the first of next month though soooo... In the mean time, those GM 16's will go on with the 2" spacers. As soon as teh weather clears up, this thing is getting painted.

Good looking for the truck men !

Quote Originally Posted by SBoby View Post
    Good looking for the truck men !
    Thanks it will look better painted and with the new wheels and tires. Saturday I installed new springs from an 81' mustang that were cut down (coils removed) also new shocks and upper and lower ball joints. What a differents in ride quality! I may need to cut about another 1/4 to half of coil. I will see when I get the new wheels and tires on. HOPEFULLY this coming weekend. So it seems as though the only way I can get pictures to load on here is to load them onto mt instagram account and then load them on here. I'm using and Iphone so that must be why.

So this happened. New (used wheels), tires are 195/45R16 front, 205/45R6 rear. A bit more low in front, and 2” spacers. Good weekend. I want a bigger swaybar up from. It dives a bit still into turns. Also needs more turning radius. I am very skeptical cutting and welding the spindles. Advice? Also needs outer tie rod ends and an alignment.
    188CACF8-1A09-45E8-9147-8DBA4DC83929.jpg
    Last edited by rab71; 02-25-2018 at 10:56 PM.