• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Ford Courier low buck truck

So I sold my roadster.

And bought this little guy.
    IMG_7266[1].jpg

So far haven't done much. the truck cam with new fenders since the original owner cut them around the wheel wells to accommodate really big tires. He had 31's or something on there. Goofy. Anyway my plans are to lower it static (for now) and put different wheels. I bought some wheels for it already. 16" GM spare tire rims. Actually pretty nice looking. Not sure what size tires to get yet. thinking 205/45r16 Or maybe 195/45r16.
    I'm lowering the truck by using Mustang II coil springs and cutting them. They are about the correct diameter .2" difference and the spring rate is lower than factory Courier springs. According to this calculator I found https://www.engineersedge.com/calcul...ring_k_pop.htm if I cut 1.25" off it should bring the spring back up to proper spring rate.
    According to the specs I found on the factory Courier springs versus the Mustang II springs, even if I just installed the Mustang II springs without cutting them, the truck should drop about 2" (depending the the weight of the truck Vs. the Mustang been unable to find curb weight)). I am curious to see where it ends up.
    IMG_7291[1].jpg IMG_7299[1].jpg IMG_7302[1].jpg

Its not great, but it will keep it from rusting this winter. The truck will be painted its factory (or close to factory) robins egg blue and then sprayed with dark blue metal flakes. And of course cleared.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rab71; 01-18-2018, 03:57 PM.

Oh and here are the wheels I have for now. again, haven't decided on tire size.

Comment

This could be a good one
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Loving this! sub'd

Comment

As per normal, down for minitruckin’!

Couriers are great little trucks. My good buddy has one, I’m trying to convince him to rotary swap it, since it’s pretty much a REPU with an oval on the front.
          sigpic

Comment

So today I got two tires mounted on wheels. Gotta save up for two more tires. Tomorrow I'm installing a new valve cover gasket and hopefully lowering the front end.
            I'd upload a pic but I guess that doesn't work from and iPhone.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. A rotary would be cool. I like those 2.3 Ford motors a lot. They are really tough motors. Some day I'll have one I hope.

Comment

Not much happened this weekend. I dropped the front. Of the truck and found out the frame in the rear is junk. This was suppose to be a cheap DIY cruiser while I built my 1927 model T sedan hot rod... Saturday I got up, ran errands and got started on the truck about 1pm? Maybe... Finished lowering the truck by 4 pm. Was in a hurry and installed the drivers side spring upside down... Picked up my daughter from work at 4 pm. By 5 pm we were and my companies shop to install and entire audio system from head unit to sub in her 1989 Corolla wagon. (I love that car, 52K original miles and beautiful. I wanted it for myself but the kid needs a reliable car. Anyway I'll get it back when shes done with it.)
                So finished up the system around midnight. LONG DAY... Sunday I was gonna lower the rear of the truck but 1) it was rainy and cold and 2) I had to flip the driver side spring I installed upside down... Then it really started pouring. I don't like doing that stuff at our company shop cuz if I don't finish I can't leave my truck there. Anyway I found out Saturday the frame is fucked... I am gonna try and fix the frame but if I can't I'm gonna back half it and air ride it on the cheap with cheapo used and ebay shiz. Try not to cringe when you look at the pics. I am open to suggestions.
                IMG_7363[1].jpgIMG_7364[1].jpg IMG_7354[1].jpg IMG_7374[1].jpg

Comment

A few more pics of the rust... The third pic is right where the leaf spring mounts... I know it's my fault for not looking under the truck in these areas when I bought it but what kind of person sells a vehicle with structural issues and doesn't tell the buyer? I kit a big bump going down the high and it's over. A-hole...
                  IMG_7400[1].jpgIMG_7401[1].jpgIMG_7398[1].jpgIMG_7396[1].jpg

Comment

So here we are a couple weeks later. This weather sucks giant Bigfoot dicks... Fixed the frame, lowered the rear and built exhaust that exits all the way out the back. For some reason I can't get the pics of the frame fix to load. So here it is all back together. I need stiffer springs in the front. The one I used (mustang II) springs are too soft and I keep bottoming out. Roads in WI are nawt gooooood... Waiting for a quote on custom springs. Bags for the rear came, may not use them. Gonna back half it in the future. Sure wish I could get pics to load... Check out my insta @rubberhitsthepavement plenty there.
                    IMG_7545[1].jpg

Comment

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
                      Last edited by unie01; 02-10-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks! I’m trying. Saturday I installed new swaybar links and bushings. Amazing what a difference that made. I need stiffer springs in the front badly. I don’t want to spend a ton on this stuff yet as I have big plans in the future. So I’m just gonna buy some factory springs and cut them. I am having issues upload pics from my iPhone, what am I doing wrong?
                        Last edited by rab71; 02-12-2018, 07:58 AM. Reason: grammatical errors

Comment

A couple pics

Last edited by rab71; 02-12-2018, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Try this again

Comment

Why aren’t my pics showing up? They load and then disappear

Comment

Working...
                              X